PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the BB vs BP debate over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I noticed during one of the playoff games that mention was made of some of the candidates for the open HC positions and guys like Kirk Ferenz and pat Hill were mentioned as being branches from the Bill Belichick tree...there was also a mention during a game that BP has never won without BB and it was not mentioned as part of a debate it was just a throw away comment.

I have also noticed the same thing in the print media when they are discussing the HC openings.

It occurred to me that the way this subject was handled it was just put out there as a fact of NFL-life, as if it was something that everyone knows to be true.

Last year we debated it on this board and with yet another year of tarnish on BP's star, has it now become a non-issue?

Has BB been finally accepted as BP's superior by virtually all?

The Gr8est said:
I noticed during one of the playoff games that mention was made of some of the candidates for the open HC positions and guys like Kirk Ferenz and pat Hill were mentioned as being branches from the Bill Belichick tree...there was also a mention during a game that BP has never won without BB and it was not mentioned as part of a debate it was just a throw away comment.

I have also noticed the same thing in the print media when they are discussing the HC openings.

It occurred to me that the way this subject was handled it was just put out there as a fact of NFL-life, as if it was something that everyone knows to be true.

Last year we debated it on this board and with yet another year of tarnish on BP's star, has it now become a non-issue?

In a word YES!

The Gr8est said:

Since it literally took me 3 seconds to realize who you were referring to as BP (before reading the post) I would also have to say unquestionably yes.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:

By everyone except the Tuna and his minions.......

I think BB is a better coach than BP, but BP is an important one, as I'm sure a student of NFL history like Belichick would agree. Certainly, BB learned from BP something about dealing with the media (and has admitted as much) and also about motivating players, but when it comes to the most crucial elements to coaching: training, preparing, and game planning, Belichick is really brilliant. But, let's not diminish the role of BP, who was and is a great coach in his own right.

They each benefitted from the other. I prefer the man in the hood, but BP is a damn good coach.

To truly answer this question I think you also have to try and seperate the credit that Scott Pioli deserves for the personnel decisions and Belichick for the actual coaching. As coaches I would say that Belichick and Parcells have very comparable results although their techniques are certainly different. I don't sell Parcells short because he hasn't had as much success as Belichick since they split there are a lot of other variables involved in trying to come to the conclusion of who is the better coach.

oldrover said:
They each benefitted from the other. I prefer the man in the hood, but BP is a damn good coach.

Agreed 100%

Add in Pioli, Ernie Adams, and a great owner in Kraft (owners oftentimes can screw up things...Modell...Lerner...Jones...Davis...).

Last edited:
Lets see, Tuna has won this many SB's without BB=0

And, BB has won this many SB's without Tuna = 3

What's the frikkin debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk