PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Josh McDaniels any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that we should have had better option at TE than Solder.

Josh works with what he has. Perhaps, we should be asking why Josh had the choice of using Solder as the 2nd TE or have no TE at all opposite Hooman. Belichick's upgrade was Mulligan.

The key is 'grew out of the position'.

Just like Edelman shouldn't be throwing the ball, Solder shouldn't be running routes.

Re: Re: Is Josh McDaniels any good?

The key is 'grew out of the position'.

Just like Edelman shouldn't be throwing the ball, Solder shouldn't be running routes.

Him lining up at tight end has actually been effective over the past 3 years in terms of the running game. The route running is more about keeping teams honest and not having them stack the box.

Isn't that the opposite of reality? McDaniels has too much imagination, if anything. A pass play to the LT as a TE on the goal line being one example of that.

The Patriots offense needs to run more. That's obvious to the coaches at this point. Beyond that, execution is the only thing holding them back.
Yeah if anything I think McDaniels can get "too cute" compared to O'Brien. McD was the guy who threw like 25 straight passes or something against the Vikings early in his career as an offensive coordinator.

Meanwhile, one of my favorite moments as a Pat fan of late was the game where O'Brien just lined up in jumbo sets against the Jets and ran it down their throat. I did feel like O'Brien worked harder to let our OL "impose their will," while McDaniels tries to find more matchups to exploit and out-scheme.

At some point, you have to try to let your best guys beat up on their best guys and if I would criticize McDaniels, he doesn't do that enough.

As for McDaniels being blamed for Brady being forced to throw deep passes, get real. This is the NFL. You are going to need to throw it 30+ a few times a game, and in some games you will have to hit those to win. The Jets basically play 11 in the box against the Pats and dare them to beat man coverage deep. If Brady can't hit passes 25-40 yards downfield against press man against the Jets, the Pats won't win. No amount of play-calling can beat that many guys in the box, short of a defensive lapse like the Dobson TD in the first matchup.

Simply put, Brady isn't hitting guys deep. Maybe it is the young guys to some extent, but on too many throws he's not even giving them a shot. I'd rather see him underthrow them a bit and get picked on a 40-yard pass than see him throw another laser that has no shot of being caught.

He always sucks.

When the offence as a whole executes and Brady is on fire, he's forgotten.

When the offence lays an egg (or multiple eggs as this season has so far shown), it's all his fault. With better play calls the players CLEARLY would have executed better.

:rolleyes:

He'll have a game where he is out couched here and there. That happens to the best. However, he's so often slated when his players just haven't gotten it done and that's been the mjority of this season so far.

Predictable play calling isn't the issue. If anything, it's dumbing the whole play book down to account for the inexperience. That, and the fact the O Line, WRs and Brady himself has sucked.

But heck, lets blame it all on McD!!

I thought that this was worth a bump.

Perhaps, we should include some quotations from the Game Day thread, especially during half-time.

This offense always start a drive at 2nd and 10 , the first attempt is always wasted

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes