JR4 said:
Won't mean a thing in November or December if they've lost the division
in the early part of the season. PATs need to be very good right away
this year ..... if lowely Jets and Bills can split with us then it is possible
Miami could take two ... and all this could be set up in first five weeks of
the season. If it happened that way PATs could lose the Division and maybe
not even make the playoffs. Being good early this year is necessary. IMO

This keeps getting funnier!

First Jackson missing practice time means his chemistry and development take a hit.

Then, at the "critical" date of August 4, him missing practice means the entire offense will suffer.

Now, the Pats are going to be lucky to stay ahead of the Bills and Jets in the division early on because their #4 WR missed a week of early training camp practice.

Please, I want to know what's next. 0-16 season if Jackson drops a ball in practice Monday?

Last edited:
pats1 said:
This keeps getting funnier!

First Jackson missing practice time means his chemistry and development take a hit.

Then, at the "critical" date of August 4, him missing practice means the entire offense will suffer.

Now, the Pats are going to be lucky to stay ahead of the Bills and Jets in the division early on because their #4 WR missed a week of early training camp practice.

Please, I want to know what's next. 0-16 season if Jackson drops a ball in practice Monday?

I think you are missing the point. The phrase "if he's not on the field in August...." I took to mean the majority of preseason. He didn't say if he comes back Monday all is lost. Also, it's Who's Hot right now. I don't think even the biggest homer in the world would say that if you did a list of who has been hot over the first week of training camp, that Jackson's name would be on it. Who knows? Maybe he comes back next week and starts setting the world on fire. I think missing any practice time for a young player is bad and if you disagree, go back to your soiurce because he has said it in virtually every press conference since training camp started. Belichick has said at least five times this week that when young players aren't on the field, they're not getting better. Go read the transcripts, it's all there from the source you trust.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
I think you are missing the point. The phrase "if he's not on the field in August...." I took to mean the majority of preseason. He didn't say if he comes back Monday all is lost. Also, it's Who's Hot right now. I don't think even the biggest homer in the world would say that if you did a list of who has been hot over the first week of training camp, that Jackson's name would be on it. Who knows? Maybe he comes back next week and starts setting the world on fire. I think missing any practice time for a young player is bad and if you disagree, go back to your soiurce because he has said it in virtually every press conference since training camp started. Belichick has said at least five times this week that when young players aren't on the field, they're not getting better. Go read the transcripts, it's all there from the source you trust.

You want quotes, you get quotes:

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=20303&pcid=85

Q: How do you feel overall about the depth on the roster here right now?

BB: This is the first week of August. It's a competitive camp. I think it's a competitive camp

Q: Just looking at it on paper...

BB: What difference does it make? What is paper? You're going to put my paper out there against Buffalo's paper? It doesn't mean anything. Depth is what you have in October, November and December. That is what depth is. Depth in May, depth in July, what difference does it make? The guys we have, we're trying to get better. We have a lot of people we're trying to evaluate. We'll do what we can do to put the best team out there and pick the players that we think give us the best chance to win. That's all this process is a part of. I don't think depth in July means anything. I don't think depth in May means anything. Depth in November, December, that's when you either have it or don't have it.

Last edited:
This is a quote from Patriots.com of Belichick talking about Maroney being there on the first day of practice. If you have a problem, take it up with him.

“It’s good to see him out there because everyday he practices, he has a chance to get better,†Belichick said. “It’s a process and that process takes time. It’s good to have him out there and have him working. The more time a young player is on the field early like this, the more things they can do for your football team down the line.â€

Right from the horses mouth.

pats1 said:

Then, at the "critical" date of August 4, .....

...... AUGUST 7TH

Now it will be August 7th before Jackson gets a chance
to practice with his teammates. Time is going fast.

Next week Bill and the team start preparing for the preseaon games.
Jackson on the fundmentals that the team got has to try and catch up
... the team won't wait for him.
Say no Deion and no Jackson. then what is your WR core?

Cadwell Brown and ........ that will real hard for most teams to handle. :)

With a defective passing game do you think teams might know how to exploit
that weakness and even play the run a little better. You think they might
be able to play closer to the line?

You think Jets and Bills are at least competent defensively to take advantage
of a weakness like that?

BTW, where did you buy your glasses? the rosey colored ones that is.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Same store, 1 flight up, from where you bought your sh!tbrown, triple-negative prescription ones.:rolleyes:

JR4 said:
...... AUGUST 7TH

Now it will be August 7th before Jackson gets a chance
to practice with his teammates. Time is going fast.

Next week Bill and the team start preparing for the preseaon games.
Jackson on the fundmentals that the team got has to try and catch up
... the team won't wait for him.
Say no Deion and no Jackson. then what is your WR core?

Cadwell Brown and ........ that will real hard for most teams to handle. :)

With a defective passing game do you think teams might know how to exploit
that weakness and even play the run a little better. You think they might
be able to play closer to the line?

You think Jets and Bills are at least competent defensively to take advantage
of a weakness like that?

A defective passing game? What the hell are you basing that on? A week's worth of training camp reports? If my mind serves me right, Brady didn't look all that great during camp last year.

Brady could throw 18 INTs during camp and the preseason but his next wouldn't be until Week 12.

Practices are at half-speed, sometimes non-contact. Coaches are holding back. Players are holding back. There are scheduled days off. Winning a preseason game is the last thing on the team's mind.

In terms of how a team will perform in the upcoming season, you can't read into anything during the preseason.

You mean Branch, Caldwell, Brown, and Jackson, plus Graham and Watson, right?

Oh. I forgot. Branch or Graham aren't in camp yet. Jackson "isn't hot." My bad. I forgot that decided the fate of the team when it actually matters.

Do you think training camp practices have conditions even coming close to resembling a regular season game? It's almost like you believe the Pats are playing a full-speed game every day, and that Brady's play is even remotely affected by the OL playing in front of him. I'm sorry, but during camp, pass blocking is a complete non-factor. Everything is structured and planned. If the Pats want Brady to throw only to receivers running quick slants all day, that's all he'll do.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
That quote has nothing to do with Chad Jackson at all. It's talking about making a depth chart early in August. Terrible example.

That's beside the point:

pats1 said:
Secondly, missing less than a dozen early training camp practices doesn't mean it's going to affect a player in November or December.

pats1 said:
It's August 4th, for chrissakes. Not September 4th.

JR4 said:
Won't mean a thing in November or December if they've lost the division in the early part of the season.

Health = Depth.

Letting Jackson fully heal now (at the expense of a few practices) = less risk of re-injury = health = long-term depth (at the expense of short-term performance).

Last edited:
We hitting the panic button a bit soon here?

Seymour has missed some practices too. And so has Brady. I guess we're doomed. :eek:

I'd love to have everyone healthy but injuries are a part of the game. Whether Jackson pulled a hammy or not has nothing to do with his talent level or his ability to produce. Now if he can't suit up at the start of the REAL season, then I'll start getting worried.

Last edited:
VJCPatriot said:
We hitting the panic button a bit soon here?

Seymour has missed some practices too. And so has Brady. I guess we're doomed. :eek:

I'd love to have everyone healthy but injuries are a part of the game. Whether Jackson pulled a hammy or not has nothing to do with his talent level or his ability to produce. Now if he can't suit up at the start of the REAL season, then I'll start getting worried.

Amen.

Overreacting is the name of the game for some.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. We've got a great bout for your enjoyment tonight. ......
In the far corner, wearing rose colored glasses - weighing in at 3,893 posts, from Grafton, Mass. ---PATS1 (Yeaaaaahhh)

In the other corner, we have a tag team -wearing darker shades, weighing in at 1,223 posts and 118 posts respectively, JR4 & also 'I'm Ron Borges?' (Yeaaaaahhh).

Ok boys, let's have a good clean match - no cheap shots, no below the belt one-liners. When the bell rings, come out of your corners fighting!

:singing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get the sense JR4 was hitting the panic button. I do think he makes a legit point. This kid is behind and he's a rookie. Not a good mix if we want/need him to contribute something this year. BB's quote about Maroney posted by I'm Ron Borges? would seem to apply to all of the team's rookies, not just Maroney. I'm sure nobody wouldn't disagree with BB on that.

Incidentally, the whole "we're doomed" thing is tired. It's funny how anyone who isn't willing to immediately proclaim the team flawless or unbeatable is met with cries of chicken little or a doom sayer.

I mean why don't we all just sit around and blow sunshine up each other's poop chutes and get it over with if legit discussion is off limits.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
Didn't get the sense JR4 was hitting the panic button. I do think he makes a legit point. This kid is behind and he's a rookie. Not a good mix if we want/need him to contribute something this year. BB's quote about Maroney posted by I'm Ron Borges? would seem to apply to all of the team's rookies, not just Maroney. I'm sure nobody wouldn't disagree with BB on that.

Incidentally, the whole "we're doomed" thing is tired. It's funny how anyone who isn't willing to immediately proclaim the team flawless or unbeatable is met with cries of chicken little or a doom sayer.

I mean why don't we all just sit around and blow sunshine up each other's poop chutes and get it over with if legit discussion is off limits.

Legit discussion flies out the window when Chad Jackson missing time early and then struglging in his first couple practices back turns into him being the next Bethel, and that the offense is out of sync because of Jackson, and thus the Patriots can't win early and will be kept out of the playoffs.

I can understand displeasure, but some of what both JR4 (above) and you (signature, "draft picks won't get signed until October") have said, it almost goes to a Borges-like negative twist on every story.

All I ask is that you don't take the next plunge and start rambling on about how Brady is lucky, a product of the Weis/BB system, and without the tuck rule he'd be out of football by now.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
I don't think reading into or speculating is necessary. It is what it is .... he has
not been practicing in full pads with his teammates .... getting hit and getting
his timing down with his QB. It is reaching a point of being critical.
If he and Deion not back next week or two it will be critical. Deion will
get back into things quickly, we hope. But the rookie needs time.

I sure wouldn't want PATs to start the season with the way the passing game
looks right now.

Also I suggest that If Deion decides to go to week 10 as
some have speculated, then Jackson not being in camp is critical NOW!

I think Brady senses that and is why he commented to SI. He know it has to
get resolved very very soon or the offense will start the season not where it
needs to be.

JR4,

I know you are a rabid Pats fan. But don't let your Red Sux training go to your head. Every year the Sux say they have more pitching than they know what to do with, and very year the Grand Pooh bahs have half a staff in August. Thats cause they are nitwits and nincompoops.

Belichick's Patriots don't work that way.

It took the highest set of injuries, resulting in needing 45 different starters, to stop the Patriots one game short of the Super Bowl. Odds are it won't happen again. Nor is this Fidel's Cuba where they are having the 47th consecutive year of an unexpected poor and disastrous Sugar crop.

The way I see it Belichick has elected to put the skilled Offensive positions up for improvement as this year's project. The RBs look both good and deep; and much, much better than any year of the BB era. Why he is even got a replacement for Faulk's 3rd down pass catching, drafted and grooming in Mills for when Kevin loses it in 3-4 years. Shades of Larry Centers and Richie Anderson are arising.

As for the WRs, there are potentially four #1 type WR, receivers on the roster. Branch who is currently, Reche who is ready to become one now, Brown who was one a few years ago, and Jackson who can become one in a few years. The TEs look so deep and talented it is unbelievable. Thomas has already won the position as Fauria's replacement and we are only a week in to camp.

Cassel has the look of a future starting caliber QB; this is much more than most teams possess as a backup QB to a confirmed star QB.

For reality and not rose colored glasses, look at my post of 10 camp observations.

SunnyDenmark said:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen. We've got a great bout for your enjoyment tonight. ......
In the far corner, wearing rose colored glasses - weighing in at 3,893 posts, from Grafton, Mass. ---PATS1 (Yeaaaaahhh)

In the other corner, we have a tag team -wearing darker shades, weighing in at 1,223 posts and 118 posts respectively, JR4 & also 'I'm Ron Borges?' (Yeaaaaahhh).

Ok boys, let's have a good clean match - no cheap shots, no below the belt one-liners. When the bell rings, come out of your corners fighting!

:singing:

I think that's unfair. I love the Patriots prospects for this upcoming season. I think everything is going fine right now and I have no panic in me at all. My only point was I agree that if Jackson ends up missing another week or two of practice or comes back for one practice and then misses a week, I'm going to be concerned because he's a rookie and he needs all the reps he can get before the season starts. I love Troy Brown as much as anyone but at his age I don't think his legs will hold up for 16 games if the Patriots need to rely on him more than they should. If Jackson misses another week or so of practice, am I really going to be the only one on this board who is a little concerned? Because if so, I guess I do need another pair of glasses.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
I think that's unfair. I love the Patriots prospects for this upcoming season. I think everything is going fine right now and I have no panic in me at all. My only point was I agree that if Jackson ends up missing another week or two of practice or comes back for one practice and then misses a week, I'm going to be concerned because he's a rookie and he needs all the reps he can get before the season starts. I love Troy Brown as much as anyone but at his age I don't think his legs will hold up for 16 games if the Patriots need to rely on him more than they should. If Jackson misses another week or so of practice, am I really going to be the only one on this board who is a little concerned? Because if so, I guess I do need another pair of glasses.
No, I'm with you on this... Jackson needs reps big time, needs time to start to develop timing with, and trust from Brady.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
No, I'm with you on this... Jackson needs reps big time, needs time to start to develop timing with, and trust from Brady.

But do you believe it should have come at the expense of risking re-injury in practices/games otherwise meaningless?

AzPatsFan said:
JR4,

I know you are a rabid Pats fan. But don't let your Red Sux training go to your head. Every year the Sux say they have more pitching than they know what to do with, and very year the Grand Pooh bahs have half a staff in August. Thats cause they are nitwits and nincompoops.

Belichick's Patriots don't work that way.

It took the highest set of injuries, resulting in needing 45 different starters, to stop the Patriots one game short of the Super Bowl. Odds are it won't happen again. Nor is this Fidel's Cuba where they are having the 47th consecutive year of an unexpected poor and disastrous Sugar crop.

The way I see it Belichick has elected to put the skilled Offensive positions up for improvement as this year's project. The RBs look both good and deep; and much, much better than any year of the BB era. Why he is even got a replacement for Faulk's 3rd down pass catching, drafted and grooming in Mills for when Kevin loses it in 3-4 years. Shades of Larry Centers and Richie Anderson are arising.

Agree with the rest, but Mills is by no means replacing Faulk.

Faulk is RB, and most of his 3rd down time comes in a single-set backfield, usually in the shotgun. Sometimes, he'll also run it out of that formation. Never will you see Mills running the ball outside of a few FB runs, nor will you see Mills as the lone RB in the backfield or next to Brady in the shotgun. It's also unlikely that the Pats will use a FB (I-form) backfield on third down.

pats1 said:
But do you believe it should have come at the expense of risking re-injury in practices/games otherwise meaningless?

No, I'm not arguing that and I don't think Casale was either. I think he was just saying he needs to get back as soon as he possibly can so he can get used to the offense. Let's face it, Branch or no Branch, the Patriots offense will be much more dangerous this season if Jackson can be a factor. That's all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft