PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it too early to think about 2010 possible FAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a quick list of needed help in 2010 that may be available:
WR
Steve Breaston
Lee Evans
Vincent Jackson (Only 26, 6'5" 230 19.2 YPC)
Antonio Bryant

ILB
Barrett Rudd (only 26)
Kirk Morrison (only 28)
DeMeco Ryans (only 25)

OLB
Aaron Kampman
Chris Gocong (only 25 and 263 lbs)
Elvis Dumervil

DL
Will Smith
Kyle Van Den Bosch

O.K. This will stir some feelings. How about RB Lendale White?

Is it too early to guess and see what can be with three picks in the first two rounds plus a couple of these if they are not resigned? Can you see a better 2010 team personnel wise?
DW Toys

I think a lot of those guys are getting Tagged. Dumervil and Jackson specifically.

And LenWhale White? For real? He's terrible.

He has failed on far to many 3rd & 1's as a Patriot.

Really? Just how many has he failed on? How does that compare to the NFL average?

(I'll give you a hint: Almost none, and Much better)

You goto be kidding me !

Since being a Patriots, you can count the tackles Maroney has broken
on one hand. I have never seen a running back tackled so often by the
first defender to make contact.

He is decent in the open field, but in short yardage he is a disaster.
He has failed on far to many 3rd & 1's as a Patriot.

The boy, just does not like contact !

He should try... Dancing with the Stars !

You are so full of it I don't even know where to start. You're saying that Maroney hasn't broken many tackles is an outright lie.

Judging Maroney by 3rd and 1 plays is like judging Brady on the number of passes he's completed over 60 yards of ball travel in the air. That's not what Brady's game is and its not what Maroney's game is. Maroney is not a power back and never has been. It's pure ignorance to think that he was ever a power back.

BTW, Maroney only had three 3rd down carries this year. And he's picked up 14 yards on them. And all three were on 3rd and 2 or less.

its not what Maroney's game is. Maroney is not a power back and never has been. It's pure ignorance to think that he was ever a power back.

And despite that, he still almost always picks up the first in those situations.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brandon Tate emerges to the number 3 spot with Julian at the 4. I just feel his game is too similar to Wes as a slot receiver. I also think Tate will become a stud who can stretch the field and open things up underneath.

Well, they brought him in as Welker insurance, but he is (slightly) bigger, (slightly) faster, and (slightly) more agile, so it's not impossible that he could fill the Gaffney role.

I feel like our initial needs for Training Camp 2010, after the season is over & before the draft will be:
QB
FB
TE
OL
OLB
CB
P

Movement:
I think we all know BB likes going into a draft with a full team, that way he doesnt have to draft somebody/position. Im thinking Springs(cut) is gone with possible trades of Thomas & Light. Maybe Watson & Maroney are let go through FA.
Remember for OLB, The Crab will be back...

Do you guys know of any top guards & TEs that will be FAs?

Well, they brought him in as Welker insurance, but he is (slightly) bigger, (slightly) faster, and (slightly) more agile, so it's not impossible that he could fill the Gaffney role.

Speaking of the departed and much missed Gaffer, his forte was geting 1st downs using power after the catch. I enjoyed Aiken's WR screen play 12 yard gain that reminded me of Gaffney. If Tate evolves into a faster Gaffney and Edelperson into a bigger Welker, I'd be beside myself.

I feel like our initial needs for Training Camp 2010, after the season is over & before the draft will be:
QB
FB
TE
OL
OLB
CB
P

Movement:
I think we all know BB likes going into a draft with a full team, that way he doesnt have to draft somebody/position. Im thinking Springs(cut) is gone with possible trades of Thomas & Light. Maybe Watson & Maroney are let go through FA.

Maroney isn't a free agent until after 2010.

Thomas is still too expensive to be traded - WAY too many people hopped on that bandwagon as soon as BB de-activated him. Is he under-performing? Yes. But just because BB de-activated him for ONE game doesn't mean he all the sudden should be traded. That's nuts. You'd be trading one of your best defensive players and still have to pay good money.

The most obvious trade/cut candidate is Light. 2010 will be his final year, and his cap number will be upwards of $5M. The Pats signed Kaczur and LeVoir to extensions this past summer, and Vollmer seems to be progressing. All signs point to this being Light's last year with the Patriots.

EDIT: 2010 is an option year for Light, meaning there is no option bonus/signing bonus allocation. The Patriots will most likely decline the option (@$4.5M base salary) and take no dead money.

Last edited:
QB
FB
TE
OL
OLB
CB
P

Movement:

FB as a #2 need? The FB role is pretty much extinct in this offense.

Its amazing how many people have ignored the special rules that will, most likely, affect the Patriots.

So, instead of having wet dreams about adding some big name like Ryans or Ruud, or Vanden Bosch, lets realize that none of them have 6 vested years in the league. That mean's they'll be RFAs. And, even if they aren't tendered, the Pats will only be able to sign them if they've lost a free agent of their own.

EDIT: 2010 is an option year for Light, meaning there is no option bonus/signing bonus allocation. The Patriots will most likely decline the option (@$4.5M base salary) and take no dead money.

On the flip side, with no salary cap, the Pats may decide that Light's play is worth the money. [Not saying they will, merely that you can't say for sure they won't.]

That mean's they'll be RFAs.

Right, but most of them aren't eligible for the normal RFA tags because of their current salaries.

Vanden Bosch's RFA tag will be over $6M.

On the flip side, with no salary cap, the Pats may decide that Light's play is worth the money. [Not saying they will, merely that you can't say for sure they won't.]

I think its more likely that his option is picked up and hes traded than that they just let him walk. Theres too many teams that could use an average-to-good LT on relatively short (for a LT) money.

Here's what we're looking at:

2010 (if uncapped):
ERFA: Guyton, Lockett
RFA: Connolly, Gostkowski, Mankins, Ninkovich, Taylor, Woods
UFA: Bodden, Burgess, Faulk, Green, Hanson, Neal, Seau, Watson, Wilfork

2010 (if capped):
ERFA: Guyton, Lockett
RFA: Connolly, Ninkovich, Taylor
UFA: Bodden, Burgess, Faulk, Gostkowski, Green, Hanson, Mankins, Neal, Seau, Watson, Wilfork, Woods

The first scenario seems to be the more likely one.

In that case, Guyton and Lockett are re-signed to ERFA deals.

Gostkowski and Mankins are tagged with the 1st and 3rd tender (~$3M). That could be risky, because you don't know if there's a team out there that values Mankins enough (like Curtis Martin) to give up the 1st and 3rd picks. And if that team is, say, Pittsburgh (which needs OG help), then that 1st round pick is going to be fairly low. This could be a motivating factor in extending either or both of these players.

Taylor, Ninkovich, and Connolly are non-tendered (see Britt - not going to pay $1M to Ninkovich for lowest tender). That leaves Woods - easy decision, 2nd rd. tender @ $1.6M (wouldn't want to do the original pick compensation b/c he was a UDFA).

UFA-wise, you let Burgess and Seau walk - TBC's extension probably sealed Burgess' fate. Faulk is still a very valuable player in this offense and should get a new deal. Neal and Green are also guys you'll want to keep around, with no ready replacement at either position (Brace and Ohrnberger will be competing for reserve roles still). You let Hanson, Bodden, and Watson play out the season and see where things stand then.

Then there's that massive question mark: Wilfork.

Well, I don't see them overpaying, salary cap or not. Especially when some think Vollmer may be the better player.

Its amazing how many people have ignored the special rules that will, most likely, affect the Patriots.

So, instead of having wet dreams about adding some big name like Ryans or Ruud, or Vanden Bosch, lets realize that none of them have 6 vested years in the league. That mean's they'll be RFAs. And, even if they aren't tendered, the Pats will only be able to sign them if they've lost a free agent of their own.

Just brain-storming here: would losing Light via a declined option help the situation, in regards to the final eight? What about Burgess? It would stand to reason that you allow those extra pieces to walk in order to give you more ammunition to sign guys.

Last edited:
TBC's extension probably sealed Burgess' fate.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. They need 2 starting OLB, and a couple of good backups. They pretty much only have Thomas as a starter, and he hasn't played well this year.

Pats1- My mistake in LoMo contract length. I've thought Thomas should have been traded for a while now, since this past offseason, but I just became aware of the cap stuff.

robertweathers- Those werent in order of need, and Im just thinking of getting (quality) players at every position for camp. I

LenDale White will be a restricted free agent and will receive a tender from the Titans. He's not worth a 1st round pick. He's got serious attitude problems....

Remember, there was a reason the Titans drafted Chris Henry and Chris Johnson in back to back drafts after spending a 2nd on White.

As for what Maroney can do, I guess you don't watch much Patriots football.

Not restricted according to KFFL. I don't see where you have that restricted information.

Henry and Johnson versus White are like trying to compare Faulk to Dillon. Come on DB! You know better than that.
DW Toys

I'm not so sure I agree with that. They need 2 starting OLB, and a couple of good backups. They pretty much only have Thomas as a starter, and he hasn't played well this year.

Agreed, but Burgess and Banta-Cain aren't going to be your starting OLBs. They are situational pass rushers who have mainly seen time in a 3-point stance; the Pats need guys like Thomas and Woods (and Vrabel) who can be effective against the run.

Not restricted according to KFFL. I don't see where you have that restricted information.

Henry and Johnson versus White are like trying to compare Faulk to Dillon. Come on DB! You know better than that.
DW Toys

If 2010 is uncapped (which is likely), you need 6 years of experience to be a UFA.

Please tell me how LenDale White, who was drafted in 2006, will fulfill that requirement by March 2010.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes