PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dillon Really Slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowder

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Or do you think he's still playing injured or that the run blocking needs to be better? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were...

I am inclined to think its a combination of o-line blocking and lingering injuries.

STFarmy said:
I am inclined to think its a combination of o-line blocking and lingering injuries.
The blocking has been very poor, but he also tends to run directly into the defense so it's a combination I guess.

Well

Both! Sad to say, but i think we won't see corey next year without a major restructuring!

His speed was shot, and I think his health was a big factor. I say draft a developmental guy who's a solid pass protector, and see if Dillon can come back healthy and produce while sharing the load. I like Mike Bell out of Arizona, but who knows if the Pats will even take a back? Then again, they might surprise us all and draft one with their first round pick.

Only the coaches know what percentage age, blocking and health have played. But he has to be better next year or we have a problem with his contract.

chowder said:
Or do you think he's still playing injured or that the run blocking needs to be better? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were...

I think it was a combination. Corey supposedly was only gonna come back when he was healthy, and if this is how he plays when he is healthy, then it's time to hang em up. Pass (when healthy) and Faulk sure didn't seem to have problems getting through the holes the line was creating. I think the line will be more improved with the returns of Light & Koppen (and the improvement of Mankins & Kaczur), and we will have a new back in the backfield. Corey may make the team, but unless he regains the burst of last year, and the cut-back-ability, he will see less time as a featured back. I think a Reuben Droughns type of find would be great. Maybe a William Green type (from Cleveland) for a 5th rounder, or someone like Dominick Davis of Houston if they pick Reggie Bush (someone mentioned this last week).

I would love Lendale White, but he pushed himself into the top 10 with his performance against Texas in the Championship game. We most likely won't go RB in the first round, unless we get LB's & DB's in free agency. Laurence Maroney would look nice in a Pats uni. I was very torn in 2004, over the Corey Dillon trade, or drafting Stephen Jackson with our first #1 pick. We might have sacrificed a future star for one great year of Corey Dillon. But oh what a great year it was, and resulted in a Lombardi, so it was a good move. Should be interesting. I'm rooting for Corey, but I'm not very hopeful.

They say he timed faster at training camp compared to last year. But he does look slower. Injuries and possible age? I have another theory though. Looking at tapes of last year he looks bigger this year to me.

Corey will be 32 next year. Injured or not, I sadly think that he, like all warriors, will fade away. We need to get a solid FA rb or draft one for next year

Don't count Corey out. he was still getting over a high-ankle sprain. His straight-line speed was almost back but couldn't cut without slowing down. A little longer off season and a light training camp and he will still be servicable for one more year at 15-20 carries/game.

Corey will get healthy in the offseason and be fine for next year. A good backup RB is a must, because the likes of Kevin Faulk, Patrick Pass, and Heath Evans just can't get it done as an RB. Faulk is great as the 3rd down back, but really let us down tonight. If Faulk is cut I would love to replace him with Maurice Drew in the later rounds.

He was so slow, the coaches gave his carries to the scatback who predictably coughed it up.

They didn't have Faith in him to run it up the middle in short yardage and establish some sort of power running game to protect Brady.

Curiously enough, he averaged more ypc than any other RB on either side.

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
C. Dillon 13 57 4.4 0 17
K. Faulk 7 23 3.3 0 5

Denver Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
M. Anderson 19 69 3.6 2 18
T. Bell 6 19 3.2 0 8

RayClay said:
He was so slow, the coaches gave his carries to the scatback who predictably coughed it up.

They didn't have Faith in him to run it up the middle in short yardage and establish some sort of power running game to protect Brady.

Curiously enough, he averaged more ypc than any other RB on either side.

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
C. Dillon 13 57 4.4 0 17
K. Faulk 7 23 3.3 0 5

Denver Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
M. Anderson 19 69 3.6 2 18
T. Bell 6 19 3.2 0 8
Everyone is forgetting the 1 run he had for like 11 yards which skewed his YPC

KDPpatsfan said:
Everyone is forgetting the 1 run he had for like 11 yards which skewed his YPC

You don't like 11 yard runs?

Just for giggles, eliminate the 11 yard run, (why?) and he averaged 3.53, virtually the same as Mike Anderson and highest for the game.

But of course, he DID have the 11 yard run, so it's 4.4!! :bricks:

ACTUALLY, Anderson had an 18 yard run. WHAT A SKEW.

so that would be 3.53 to 3.05.

Satisfied??!!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :eek:

Last edited:
The Dillon situation is going to be a big area of focus in the off-season. He's on the wrong side of 30 and when that happens to backs, they begin to break down more and more often. How many times have we seen this over the years in the NFL?

The options:
1-Sign a FA
2-Draft a replacement
3-Hope they can get one more good season out of him. He'll never be like he was in '04 but maybe he can be somwhere in between that and the shadow of himself he was in 05.

Personally, I prefer options 1 AND 2. Corey will always be a great Patriot. He will always be special to a lot of fans, including myself. But love doesn't pay the bills, hard as that is to take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes