PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Anyone Not Nervous??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but have you done the 'on paper' math on the Patriots being "clearly the better team"? A quick head to head match up on some of the easily copyable stats:

STATS

I meant we're the better team in terms of wins and seeding, not stats. You don't win games based purely on stats. It's all about execution.

It's not about being scared. We're not scared. We're clearly the better team. In a lot of cases, we're clearly the better team. But it's a bad idea to underestimate any team that's in the playoffs. Colts should be treated just like the Ravens, regardless of previous wins.

Its a bad idea for the players to underestimate any team. As fans we can underestimate whoever we want. We have owned the colts in recent games. I mean absolutely owned. One of those games includes a game in their stadium just this year. You couldn't possibly have hoped for an easier matchup for a chance to go to the SB. I expect a closer game but the pats still win fairly easily I think. Haven't felt this good about an AFC title game in awhile.

I meant we're the better team in terms of wins and seeding, not stats. You don't win games based purely on stats. It's all about execution.

Understood and I agree. The stats were thrown out there just for fodder. I believe the Patriots are the overall better team. However, I thought Broncos were the overall better team. Last night it ended up that was wrong with Indy certainly looking like the clearly better team. If it wasn't for the Raven performance I wouldn't give that a lot of weight. But coupled with the Raven game the certainty of anything is thrown more into doubt for........at least in my view.

That's great kid, don't get ****y!

Colts should be treated just like the Ravens, regardless of previous wins.
It's also important to add that the Ravens were treated like they were precisely because of previous wins in their battles against the Patriots in the past. With many claiming them to be the one team they didn't want to see in playoffs.

To put it another way, just like for the Broncos, the Colts were a playoff matchup (among other teams too) they didn't want to see. In large part because the Colts had beaten them last season, and played them tough to start the season while Manning was still playing relatively well. Now, with Manning's play fallen off of a cliff, it wasn't that hard to see the upset coming.

Just like it wasn't that hard to see that the Ravens would play the Patriots tough like they always do, despite New England's perceived advantages.

It's a lot easier to use recent past matchups as a reference point in terms of game expectations based upon matchups (favorable or otherwise). There's no past data to suggest that the Colts unfavorable matchups have suddenly become favorable. There are areas of their attack that the Patriots have successfully exploited that they haven't greatly improved upon since then.

So if people are more confident in the Patriots' ability to vanquished the Colts than they were against Baltimore, it would be precisely because they've seen the Ravens give Patriots all they could handle before, whilst Indianapolis has had their doors blown off in three matchups. Dominating an opponent multiple times consecutively in the past makes it far likely that it can be done again. In most cases, what that shows is that the Patriots have their number.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but have you done the 'on paper' math on the Patriots being "clearly the better team"? A quick head to head match up on some of the easily copyable stats:

Here's one worth adding:

Points per game differential. New England #1 (9.7), Indianapolis #7 (5.5)

Check out the leaderboard in that particular stat:
1. Patriots
2. Seahawks
3. Packers
4. Broncos
5. Cowboys
6. Ravens
7. Colts

p.s. last year's top two were denver and seattle. just sayin'.

If I was playing on a Colts team where everyone told me I am not good enough...that would not sit well with me. NE may or may not be the better team but they better show up.

They will be ready and this team better be ready to match their intensity.

We better be ready, O-Line had a great game Saturday, the defense needs to show up...

Last edited:
Here's one worth adding:

Points per game differential. New England #1 (9.7), Indianapolis #7 (5.5)

Check out the leaderboard in that particular stat:
1. Patriots
2. Seahawks
3. Packers
4. Broncos
5. Cowboys
6. Ravens
7. Colts

p.s. last year's top two were denver and seattle. just sayin'.

Agreed PChick, that is a worthy stat to know considering the correlation of this year and last with the top overall teams. I suspect there may be a pattern :)

In and around week 10, the Patriots were playing at a level that set the benchmark for 'A Game' in all of 2014. IMHO nobody has played over an extended period of time to the level of that Patriots run. And if the Patriots can rekindle that level of play in the playoffs, they would have dismissed the Ravens, they'll push aside Indy, and odds are favorable they will win on the neutral field of the SB.
Now let's hope they can rekindle that level by Sunday, otherwise I think Indy and certainly Sea/GB will have very good chance of dismissing the Patriots.

As I'll say to the end of time, I get nervous for scrimmages in July too.

It's not like I was 100% focused o their games, but didn't they stand by while Cincy self destructed and then stand by while Manning self destructed. I'm not exceptionally worried Tom and the Patriots self destruct, if that is the concern.

Another "buzzkill" effort, it ain't working though. I will savor that win until about Wednesday PM....

No I think everyone should be nervous, to a varying degree depending on your personality. Andrew Luck is a star and he can make every single throw. With that said I believe we match up very well with the Colts and the outcome will depend on who wants to win more...Any game where we could be 1 and done makes me nervous.

not to take anything away from the Colts, But if Peyton Manning can complete a pass over 5 yards, they win that game. They probably had a better chance with osweiller. that game was totally on Peyton Manning looking cooked.

CJ Anderson ran for 80 yards at about 4.4 yards per clip. Andrew Luck still had 2 picks....

so, I am not sure how much to take away from that game. Brady is going to complete those kind of passes that manning couldnt. I also expect revis to take away whomever he is covering since he had a "subpar" game for him last week.

we can run on this team. I expect a more balanced attack this week with Gray/Blount both active. which will then set up the playaction to gronk/edelman/lafell. The fact that their defense is undersized hasnt changed since we last played them

not to take anything away from the Colts, But if Peyton Manning can complete a pass over 5 yards, they win that game. They probably had a better chance with osweiller. that game was totally on Peyton Manning looking cooked.

CJ Anderson ran for 80 yards at about 4.4 yards per clip. Andrew Luck still had 2 picks....

so, I am not sure how much to take away from that game. Brady is going to complete those kind of passes that manning couldnt. I also expect revis to take away whomever he is covering since he had a "subpar" game for him last week.

we can run on this team. I expect a more balanced attack this week with Gray/Blount both active. which will then set up the playaction to gronk/edelman/lafell. The fact that their defense is undersized hasnt changed since we last played them

Arthur Jones is back on that defensive line, he didn't suit up last time pats played them. Not saying he's makes all the difference but is a plus addition to them. Factor in Stork could be out will prob have an impact that favors IND.

Arthur Jones is back on that defensive line, he didn't suit up last time pats played them. Not saying he's makes all the difference but is a plus addition to them. Factor in Stork could be out will prob have an impact that favors IND.

even with arthur jones though, Denver ran at 4.4 yards a clip....to me that whole game came down to the fact that manning couldnt make the throws anymore. I just dont think brady will have that problem.

not taking anything away from Arthur jones, but the Colts front is nothing like the Ravens front...and our OL handled them pretty well.

I do think the game will be a fight, but I just dont think the colts have enough weapons on both sides to defeat the patriots if they play a CLEAN game. Now that all could change with turnovers etc. but I expect the patriots to be ready. especially after last week putting that game ALL on bradys shoulders. Now its time for the special teams/defense/running game to do their part and give brady some help.

even with arthur jones though, Denver ran at 4.4 yards a clip....to me that whole game came down to the fact that manning couldnt make the throws anymore. I just dont think brady will have that problem.

not taking anything away from Arthur jones, but the Colts front is nothing like the Ravens front...and our OL handled them pretty well.

I do think the game will be a fight, but I just dont think the colts have enough weapons on both sides to defeat the patriots if they play a CLEAN game. Now that all could change with turnovers etc. but I expect the patriots to be ready. especially after last week putting that game ALL on bradys shoulders. Now its time for the special teams/defense/running game to do their part and give brady some help.

Oh I agree this front of the colts isn't like Baltimores and I expect the patriots to run it early and often. I just don't expect to be as effective as it was the first meeting, though I expect them to have a lot more success then they did vs Baltimore.

I am nervous for every playoff game the pats are in regardless of dogfight or cakewalk. This colts team is a better team than in the regular season. This will be a dogfight of a game!

I am nervous before every playoff game.

This time it is more because of:

- injuries to Stork (might affect our running game), and possible injuries to Vereen (Reiss speculates it in one of his pieces) and Bowner
- Colts OL not allowing a single sack last week against pass-rushers who are better than us
- Luck's ability to run and throw, which might extend plays a lot.
- Colts D getting back Arthur Chandler
- Colts main tight end Allen was injured early in the Nov game and that could have impacts their O back then.

all said and done, I feel we will do well and put up a strong performance because I am sure Brady and BB are tired of now hearing everyone (like the Boston globe) claim that we are not fit for SB and won against the Ravens only using trick play. Bull, if I can get irritated reading that, I can only hope it needles TB and BB more. :)

GO PATS!!

Im always terrified on championship Sunday when our boys are playing. The Colts didn't get here by accident. They got here by Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back