PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inventing News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I find it interesting how the media invents character traits of the players in the draft. Look at the following:
D. Williams = PFW says he is a wimp bcs he didn't play against Ten. Knee sprain?
L. White = Lazy bcs he has a torn hammy and put on pounds.
B. Capenter = bad team mate bcs PFW says so.

It is interesting that none of these issues existed while these guys were playing ball in college. Their coaches and majority of team mates never mention this stuff. I think it is a shame for a media person to be so hungry that they may take a situation and blow the character of a player through one small event. Just because on writer for PFW wrote an article claiming character issues, that article does not become the Gospel. It doesn't have to be true. We don't have to believe it. These people get paid to write, and some invent stories to provoke their readers.

Don't believe everything you read. I will grant LW is fat right now. High metabolism when not working out due to a legit injury? Possibly. Ever had this problem in 4 years at USC? NO! The point is "Do the research yourself & then make a conclusion." Don't just believe one source. Look at the history.

Don't believe everything you read. I will grant LW is fat right now. High metabolism when not working out due to a legit injury? Possibly. Ever had this problem in 4 years at USC? NO!

I was under the impression that his weight swang from 255 at the Rose bowl, to a fairly fit 238 at the combine, to 244 at the USC Pro Day. Granted, this isn't a drastic swing, but it might be representative of other things (i.e. not taking his training as seriously as he should @ a time that will cost him millions of $ is not a very good sign of a stable personality). Or it could be that he is hurt so bad that he can't train seriously. From here I can't tell. Some is noise. But it is noise that can cost these guys a ton of bucks, so I agree w/ your premise, though maybe not LenDale as the best example.

Profootball weekly is a reputable magazine with many sources inside the league. BB I believe spoke at Joel Buschbaum's funeral and considered him a friend. I believe BB offered Joel a scouting position with the Browns, which he turned down.

The knock on White is that he is not hard working and has no interest in studying film, no interest in studying the game.

These things are NOT NEW. They've have been talked about numerous times over the past 3 months.

And yes, that includes the issues with Deangelo Williams and his possibly milking injuries. And it included questions about Carpenter's charater and whether he had to have Schlegel calling out the plays. And it included the questions behind Lendale White and whether or not he's really interested in playing football.

Digger44 said:
B. Capenter = bad team mate bcs PFW says so.
Not sure what PFW said about him...something bad??? I din't see it...

PonyExpress said:
Profootball weekly is a reputable magazine with many sources inside the league. BB I believe spoke at Joel Buschbaum's funeral and considered him a friend. I believe BB offered Joel a scouting position with the Browns, which he turned down.
Pro Football Weekly WAS Joel Buschbaum. Any reputation they had as a draft publication was as a result of the talents of Joel Buschbaum.

The problem with this is that Joel's been dead 3 or 4 years now. Joel didn't write the article. If he had, I think your point would be well taken. But he did not write the article.

Digger could not be more right regarding most of what you hear and see from the sports media.

Last edited:
well the lendale news was already there in past..hes been known not to work hard in off season and not practice hard. kind of a lazy guy who just wanted to play but the DeAngelo part and Carpenter i think is bull. Only think i can see on Carpenter is his attitude sometimes because quiet a few sacks hes gotten..he kind of stayed on QB like hes trash talkin and got seperated by the opposing player

Remix 6 said:
well the lendale news was already there in past..hes been known not to work hard in off season and not practice hard. kind of a lazy guy who just wanted to play but the DeAngelo part and Carpenter i think is bull. Only think i can see on Carpenter is his attitude sometimes because quiet a few sacks hes gotten..he kind of stayed on QB like hes trash talkin and got seperated by the opposing player

No, the news has not been there in the past. I will say it again. NO, NO, NO. Show me one single link dating pack before the Rose Bowl that shows LW is not a hard worker in the off season and that he does not practice hard. The point is that there is nothing prior to three months ago that soilidifies these ideas. Coming out of the Rose Bowl Reggie Bush and LW were top ten picks together and there is no way that we would have had either at the #21. Why? Because these concerns did NOT exist until the draft writers got a hold of some stories and created these guys characters. DeAngelo Williams did sit out the Ten game. Can anybody document that it wasn't the sprained knee he claimed to have? NO, NO, NO! And then one week before the draft Bobby Carpenter is a bad team mate? Give me a break. Remix, I am glad you see that DW & BC is bull, but don't let LW's injury speak for his past years.

BTW, I am not recommending we draft LW. DW & BC would be great picks way B4 LW.

Digger,

I think as far as White is concerned is that he is one of those players that BB was talking about in his pre-Draft conference regarding players at the top of the Draft that basically have only one year of experience or have been injured.

I think you are dead on with the noise surrounding Carpenter and Williams (though I would have durability questions with Williams but NOT character).

But White remains a concern despite the conjecture to the contrary. At the very least he's had poor guidance and has been slow to mature. Maybe he needs a strict structure for his off-season workouts, I don't know. But the whole USC Day situation with his hamstring and low output on the bench said volumes about where his 'head' was if not his body.

Clonamery said:
Digger,

I think as far as White is concerned is that he is one of those players that BB was talking about in his pre-Draft conference regarding players at the top of the Draft that basically have only one year of experience or have been injured.

I think you are dead on with the noise surrounding Carpenter and Williams (though I would have durability questions with Williams but NOT character).

But White remains a concern despite the conjecture to the contrary. At the very least he's had poor guidance and has been slow to mature. Maybe he needs a strict structure for his off-season workouts, I don't know. But the whole USC Day situation with his hamstring and low output on the bench said volumes about where his 'head' was if not his body.

Clona, there is no doubt that LW has had some issues in the last three months. Take away the last three months and I do not think you can say LW had poor guidance. Even though we hate Pete Carrol here in NE, the fact is that he is a great college football coach (not NFL). LW wasn't slow to mature, he was a TD machine and looked a lot like Bettis. The last three months have been been a total disaster. He could have done much better, no question. Does he have a legit injury? Yes! He does. The USC day was totally ugly. The combine was ugly. Nobody could have looked at LW in the Rose Bowl and predicted that this would have happened. Nobody would have believed it back in January. The fact is that it did happen. This is sad for LW. He had a shot at a top ten DP. I have to compare LW to Willis McGahee. Even though McGahee had a bad injury, he still worked hard. I do not know the answer to LW. I do know he has massive potential, but it is just that, potential.

The reason I get PFW is for the that kind of info. You can go to 100 places and get stats and "highlight" tapes. They never show the "lowlights".

When you are drafting a players, just as if you are hiring a person, you are taking on the whole person.

I don't take that info 100%. But, it is all part of the evaluation. Also, I know that if the Patriots draft one of those guys they have checked out everything INCLUDING the negitives. They will know and should know much more that Noland and we do.

Noland took over for Joel but he does his profiles the same way Joel did. I could pull out a book that Joel did 6 years ago and put it side by side with Nolands and you wouldn't be able to tell who wrote it.

The thing to remember is that these writers get their information from sources, generally scouts within the NFL.

Scouts in the NFL have a vested interest in seeing certain people drop. For all we know, Scott Pioli could have come up with the Carpenter line hoping to make sure he drops to #21. It's all one big game.

PATSNUTme said:
The reason I get PFW is for the that kind of info. You can go to 100 places and get stats and "highlight" tapes. They never show the "lowlights".

When you are drafting a players, just as if you are hiring a person, you are taking on the whole person.

I don't take that info 100%. But, it is all part of the evaluation. Also, I know that if the Patriots draft one of those guys they have checked out everything INCLUDING the negitives. They will know and should know much more that Noland and we do.

Noland took over for Joel but he does his profiles the same way Joel did. I could pull out a book that Joel did 6 years ago and put it side by side with Nolands and you wouldn't be able to tell who wrote it.

I totally agree that as you term it ,"the lowlights" are very important in considering who to draft. However, the media has now take the lowlights and made them the highlights so that nothing positive can be said about a "draftee." When was the last time you heard anything positive about LW? What about his highlights? PFW is still just a source for info. They are not the inspired and all knowing source. I enjoy reading it because of some different takes on situations, but that doesn't mean they have the inside stuff correct. Many media sources only focus on the downside lowlights on particular players. I think the character bashing needs to stop. Report the news. List the sources of people's opinions. Don't tell me one week before the draft that BC is a poor team player when this has never come up before.

dryheat44 said:
The thing to remember is that these writers get their information from sources, generally scouts within the NFL.

Scouts in the NFL have a vested interest in seeing certain people drop. For all we know, Scott Pioli could have come up with the Carpenter line hoping to make sure he drops to #21. It's all one big game.

Oh I agree, it is all one big game. It is a shame a guy's character has to be dragged through the mud bcs some FO wants to play a game. I wish they would stick to the facts.

Some legit stuff on White - and I'm not getting paid to start anything...

Did you know that White has had ankle trouble? He played most of 2004 with a right ankle injury then had arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle in the spring of 2005. Or that he missed the spring 2005 practice for the Trojans because he was nearly academically ineligible? Or that White has been examined to determine if he needs surgery on his hammy and will not be healed until Mid-May at the earliest? White also missed more than a week of practice in September with a hamstring injury. He had a shoulder injury in late November but still ran 14 times for 154yds against UCLA.

Click this link and scroll down for a Dec 2005 pic of LenDale not looking fat at all... http://www.xanga.com/fOakleyz/402975669/item.html

After several conversations with White during the last couple years, Adam Schein of FoxSports says White "has always come across as intelligent and sincere."

White was headbutted in pile of players after his helmet came off in a game last fall but he didn't retaliate.

He gets lot's of tattoo work done on himself and is called a "fun lover" off the field.

White has NEVER fumbled while with USC. He averaged 6.6yds/carry in 2005 (the best average of his college career) year against top competition.

White's comment when told that Bush would be the Trojan's starter for 2005-

"I sat out this spring," said White, who missed spring practice because of an ankle injury and academic issues. "That's how it should be. I can't really complain."

when asked about the draft he said-
“I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that’s going to win. I would love to go top 15, but I’m honored to be in this situation. I’m blessed, I get to do something that a lot of people would love to do so I think wherever I go in the draft I will appreciate it,†White said. White is also very concerned about helping out his family financially.

When asked for advice to high school football players, White said-
"Keep a clear head and maintain your focus," the running back advises. "You may not want to work out all the time, but those are the days that you have to go in and work even harder. Those are the days that define you."

maybe you seen this ditty from a MSNBC story-
"The guy can play, but he just gets by,†said a former USC offensive player who was teammates with White. “He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that’s what you see now. People think he’s great and the talent is there … but the stuff he did was just because he played next to Reggie and with all those other guys around him. If he had really worked at it, he would have been amazing.â€

have you heard this confirmed story? -
White showed his acting skills in 2005 when he conspired with Trojan coach Pete Carroll and movie director and Trojan fan Spike Lee to play a Halloween prank on his teammates. White pretended to be upset with his coach over the lack of carries he was receiving during practice. He was subsequently kicked out of the practice and carted away from the field, while Carroll told the team to prepare to move on without White. As the team huddled to end practice, White stood on the roof of a building near the facility. White began shouting down at the field as his teammates looked on. He was soon joined on the rooftop by a team assistant, who began tassling with White. The assistant wrestled White to the ground out of the team's view, and, next thing the team knew, there was an object in a red #21 jersey thrown from the top of the building. Everyone watched in horror until they realized it was a dummy dressed in White's jersey.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Some legit stuff on White - and I'm not getting paid to start anything...

Did you know that White has had ankle trouble? He played most of 2004 with a right ankle injury then had arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle in the spring of 2005. Or that he missed the spring 2005 practice for the Trojans because he was nearly academically ineligible? Or that White has been examined to determine if he needs surgery on his hammy and will not be healed until Mid-May at the earliest? White also missed more than a week of practice in September with a hamstring injury. He had a shoulder injury in late November but still ran 14 times for 154yds against UCLA.

Click this link and scroll down for a Dec 2005 pic of LenDale not looking fat at all... http://www.xanga.com/fOakleyz/402975669/item.html

After several conversations with White during the last couple years, Adam Schein of FoxSports says White "has always come across as intelligent and sincere."

White was headbutted in pile of players after his helmet came off in a game last fall but he didn't retaliate.

He gets lot's of tattoo work done on himself and is called a "fun lover" off the field.

White has NEVER fumbled while with USC. He averaged 6.6yds/carry in 2005 (the best average of his college career) year against top competition.

White's comment when told that Bush would be the Trojan's starter for 2005-

"I sat out this spring," said White, who missed spring practice because of an ankle injury and academic issues. "That's how it should be. I can't really complain."

when asked about the draft he said-
“I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that’s going to win. I would love to go top 15, but I’m honored to be in this situation. I’m blessed, I get to do something that a lot of people would love to do so I think wherever I go in the draft I will appreciate it,†White said. White is also very concerned about helping out his family financially.

When asked for advice to high school football players, White said-
"Keep a clear head and maintain your focus," the running back advises. "You may not want to work out all the time, but those are the days that you have to go in and work even harder. Those are the days that define you."

maybe you seen this ditty from a MSNBC story-
"The guy can play, but he just gets by,†said a former USC offensive player who was teammates with White. “He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that’s what you see now. People think he’s great and the talent is there … but the stuff he did was just because he played next to Reggie and with all those other guys around him. If he had really worked at it, he would have been amazing.â€

have you heard this confirmed story? -
White showed his acting skills in 2005 when he conspired with Trojan coach Pete Carroll and movie director and Trojan fan Spike Lee to play a Halloween prank on his teammates. White pretended to be upset with his coach over the lack of carries he was receiving during practice. He was subsequently kicked out of the practice and carted away from the field, while Carroll told the team to prepare to move on without White. As the team huddled to end practice, White stood on the roof of a building near the facility. White began shouting down at the field as his teammates looked on. He was soon joined on the rooftop by a team assistant, who began tassling with White. The assistant wrestled White to the ground out of the team's view, and, next thing the team knew, there was an object in a red #21 jersey thrown from the top of the building. Everyone watched in horror until they realized it was a dummy dressed in White's jersey.

Great post BBB. The physical info shows that there are legit injuries. Notice his weight is never mentioned. Interesting. Seems to have a good attitude. One negative MSNBC story from a few months ago. First time ever this idea hit the fan. I would take him in @ #52, but he will not be there.

There is no doubt that this is the misinformation/disinformation time. Teams are putting out stuff not only about who they are looking at but on certain palyers that are lies.

Last week on the Pro football weekly on line site. Nolan quoted a "team evaluator' saying that Donte Whinter is a total bust. That he is not a "Bob Sanders of the Colts" but a "James Sanders of the Patriots". Nolan did say that this guy could be honest in his evaluation or just putting stuff out there.

Yet, Donte Whitner continues to climb up the rankings of most draft sites this week. Kiper now has him at #17.

Last edited:
It is the time for disinformation...and new news..is just that. I find it interesting that the story about the house Reggie Bush's mom lives in came out now...when it seems like it is information that the media had been sitting on. It doesn't look very good, but why did they sit on it??? When there are all of a sudden new things coming up..that is odd...smoke..but we all know that will happen a lot. I think "NEW" information is a LOT different than which has been published way before now. These last minute sorts of things..positive negative..all with a purpose. Watch out..it is all happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes