Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It appears that almost all NFL receivers and backs (QBs excepted) wear gloves these days, regardless of weather. At our season opener vs. the Jets I got some insight into why: After the game I was near the tunnel where the Patriots players left the field. Heath Evans took off his gloves and handed them to a little kid right in front of me. I checked them out and was amazed at how sticky/tacky the thick rubber surface on the palms was. There wasn't any substance on them -- just a really cushy, tacky rubbery composite that was different from the top part of the glove. I could see how these gloves would make it easier to catch a hard-thrown ball, even catch a ball one-handed.

I don't know who manufactures these gloves, but they sure are interesting.

But got to say the white one carr wore reminded me of micheal jackson and moon walking.....:bricks:

It appears that almost all NFL receivers and backs (QBs excepted) wear gloves these days, regardless of weather. At our season opener vs. the Jets I got some insight into why: After the game I was near the tunnel where the Patriots players left the field. Heath Evans took off his gloves and handed them to a little kid right in front of me. I checked them out and was amazed at how sticky/tacky the thick rubber surface on the palms was. There wasn't any substance on them -- just a really cushy, tacky rubbery composite that was different from the top part of the glove. I could see how these gloves would make it easier to catch a hard-thrown ball, even catch a ball one-handed.

Cheaters!!!! Thats a competitive advantage!!;)

Last year my teenage WR/CB wanted a pair badly. I told him to forget the "image" crap and just focus on his game, fundamentals, etc... Blah, blah, blah... I poured out my best grumpy old football-purist routine on him.

Then we ran across a pair in the store when we were picking up new cleats for him. He grabbed them and begged. I laughed him off and said No. I took them from him to put them back on the shelf... the second my hand touched the surface of the glove, I was shocked. It's sticky, without being sticky! So I pulled on a pair and grabbed a football off the shelf, and the surface of the gloves are even stickier on the football. Felt like the darn ball was glued to my hand with magnets or something.

Needless to say, the kid's on his third pair since then, and we want to talk the coach into providing them for all the recievers and backs. The gloves make a huge difference in normal weather, but way up here, where they play football in 30-40 degree weather in September, they make an UNREAL difference. It's at least ten times easier to catch a cold, wet ball on a cold wet night with these new generation gloves than it is without them. They're so sticky that I can't believe some QBs use them on their throwing hand, but I can't believe any WR would play without them.

(By the way, they're also awesome for working on your car in cold weather... nuts and bolts and screws stay in your fingers almost effortlessly. Amazing technology.)

Not only does it help receivers and running back catch the ball better, but they will fumble less too. Look for these gloves to be outlawed before next season.

Look for these gloves to be outlawed before next season.

Do you think that's possible? My guess is that they definitely are changing the game. Moss's 45-yard TD against the Bills for instance -- I'll bet those gloves helped him snag the ball.

Last edited:
I have Raynaud's syndrome (poor circulation in fingers), so in high school my pass-catching abilities declined greatly once cold weather set in. I tried baseball gloves, then scuba gloves (this was back when Mark Bavaro used them), but they didn't hold a candle to what the newer gloves can do: cold weather, wet weather, they stay tacky.

Whoever thought them up deserves a handshake, without gloves. :)

these gloves will not be outlawed.
the put everyone on a level playing field.
and they made it possible to outlaw the stickum that fred belitnekoff used to have all over his body!!

Not only does it help receivers and running back catch the ball better, but they will fumble less too. Look for these gloves to be outlawed before next season.
Outlawed? is that a joke. They just make more and more advanced gloves/equipment every year.

Not to sound like an ***** but are you kidding me? Why else do you think they would where them? Of course recievers gloves help people catching and holding onto balls. This is a ridiculous post and i can't believe i am responding but this is really one of the dumbest things i have read on here.

Not to sound like an ***** but are you kidding me? Why else do you think they would where them? Of course recievers gloves help people catching and holding onto balls. This is a ridiculous post and i can't believe i am responding but this is really one of the dumbest things i have read on here.
You think that one is bad, check out Post #9 in this thread. Guy has PMS so bad he can't spell!

these gloves will not be outlawed.
the put everyone on a level playing field.
and they made it possible to outlaw the stickum that fred belitnekoff used to have all over his body!!
And Herm Edwards used to hide inside his shoe after the ban.

Damn, I hate it when a poster has to lower himself to respond to a post that he feels is beneath him to respond to, just to tell us that it was beneath him to respond to in the first place.

Yeah, you really do sound like an arsehole, arsehole. Read my post again. It didn't address the "fact" that players wear gloves, or "why" they wear them. It dealt with the technology of the gloves themselves. I'd never seen gloves like those before, pretty amazing NEW technology.

As you ponder this difficult concept, you might also want to research the difference between the words "where" and "wear," so in the future you can come off as less of an idiot. Oh yeah -- and you're an arsehole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand