PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In my opinion, mistake by Patriots to issue full rebuttal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and disagree. The report accuses Wells of ignoring key pieces of info and cherry picking, so in turn to pick apart the Wells report would be hypocritical. Yes the media is going to focus on the deflator part and ignore Blandino's lie, and the double-use of the gauges, but a neutral arbitrator or federal court will not.

I think when we start really caring about what the media "thinks" and we worry about winning them over with initial reports, we have already lost.

What you have to realize is that if this ends up in court because the NFL won't appoint an independent arbitrator, the only data the NFL can use is the Wells report. They can't add info or change it. The Patriots/Brady can bring in whoever or whatever they want. The Wells report deperatly needed a red team to review it and rip it to shreds before release. The Patriots one was much better but even so, a mistake was made, identified and corrected within hours.

Wells was rattled and this is why he put the press conference on. That did not go to well for him in my biased opinion. The more rattled people get, the more mistakes they will make.

Patriots should have done this after SPYGATE pounding home that this was about camera placement only. Because they did not, 99% of people think it was spying on the Rams practice and stealing defensive signals.

The losing weight take looks silly but then you look at the other text where deflate is used in reference to weight it seems and it makes sense. That the public won't go for but the court should.

The biggest problem of all with this freaking clown show is the NFL's ridiculously low standard for "proof" of wrongdoing to warrant punishment. How did they EVER decide that thresholds like "more likely than not" and "generally aware" could legitimately form bases for action jeopardizing people's reputations and livelihoods? It's madness.

Patriots should have done this after SPYGATE pounding home that this was about camera placement only. Because they did not, 99% of people think it was spying on the Rams practice and stealing defensive signals.

I tend to think this is one of Kraft's regrets and few mistakes as an owner.

It's just a calculated PR move. Brady and Patriots supporters picked apart the Wells report and the haters will pick apart this rebuttal. But for many, there will be this seed of doubt. The Patriots know they cannot sway the haters and the supporters are already in their corner, they are after the independents. The ones who can be swayed. In political terms they would be called independent voters. It puts pressure on Goodell and Wells, now they are on the defensive. Wells was already starting to show stress before the rebuttal.

I think they had to put the list of conclusions first and then the full report, just like wells did, give a chance to stupid media or lazy people to read 4 pages haha.

One other item that may be interesting to note. (A) The TEAM releases a response prepared by a lawyer. (B) Very soon afterward Brady files a formal declaration with the League, one that targets their finding him guilty.
Simple coincidence? Maybe. If not it indicates the Team and Brady are coordinating their attack. If true that is a BFD, it might even be unprecedented.

People forget this isnt 2 private businesses battling over a patent infringement and bluffing and waiting for discovery to show hands. This case is about hugely popular public figures which one of has taken an enormous PR hit already. No need to keep everything quiet.

Especially when your case is a slam dunk, you know it, and it benefits you for the other side to know it (if they somehow don't already).

Perhaps it's also to layout to Goodell what a screw-up and liability his underlings are. I would not be surprised if Kensil painted a much rosier picture of everything to Goodell which in turn made the egotist even more brazen.

The media is just going to attack the weakest parts of the argument, such as McNally's "deflator" moniker as a weight loss thing, along with Brady's reason for calling Jastremski, etc. That is just what the media does, and if there was any doubt, just look how they've loved this scandal so far, misrepresenting facts and sensationalizing everything.

I do assume the rebuttal was made for the public, of which about 0.001% which actually read it, and the rest will just hop on the juicy headlines, many of which will be critical of the rebuttal for the more controversial, far-fetched points.

In my opinion, only three areas should have been addressed:

1. The science behind the "deflation" and the circumstances about the Colts balls/Patriots balls BOTH being under, which includes both the false leaks and the actual numbers. The Walt Anderson "best recollection", frankly, is the strongest point in the entire appeal. The actual numbers are the head of the snake; kill it and the body dies. If the Patriots can prove the balls were not tampered with, nothing else matters.

2. Regarding the Brady-McNally-Jastremski triangle, two very basic points would have sufficed. First, of course Brady's communication to Jastremski will pickup inevitably after he is accused publicly of a crime. Second, McNally referenced INFLATING the balls more than DEFLATING when he said he would give Tom watermellons, balloons, etc. So, basically, you have a guy who is responsible for getting the footballs to Tom's liking. He inflates them; he deflates them. He jokes about inflating them to big and nicknames himself the deflator. Big whoop. Nothing in there that references an illegal scheme. Nothing in there whatsoever that even references shady activity. There was absolutely no need to explain every single text message, justify the reasons for not turning over information, etc. etc.

3. The clear bias that was shown from the NFL in leak reporting, letters to the Patriots, Wells investigation discrepancies, etc. Patriots did a good job detailing that in their rebuttal, but again, people can only consider a few points at once.

The public doesn't digest 58 points; just give them a few that are your strongest and most obvious. When you attack everything, you just come across as defensive and "willing to say anything". That's because if just one point is weak, that's going to then color the rest of the case in the eyes of the public.

I think that Patriots PR department has once again failed the team as they have so often; they are just clueless about how to speak to the public and how to get their point across. Luckily, it is irrelevant to Brady's legal case, but you can chalk up another missed opportunity from the PR department in the battle of public opinion.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of "Dislikes" for this, so have away.

You could argue endlessly about these kind of questions and never agree.
For me, I'm glad they published it, because it showed me there truly is a rock solid defense, and valid proof that there was no wrong doing. Not that I doubted the facts, but this makes me 100% sure they win this argument in front of any neutral party.

Also, there is every reason to believe that showing their cards prior to the appeal hearings is an attempt to give the NFL an opportunity to settle before going to court, and overturn all punishment based upon the poor job done by Wells.

However, there is also a good chance that Bob Kraft was 'out of his mind angry' at the railroading his team was getting, as reported, and wanted the truth to be made public.

I'm good with all of those reasons, and really see no downside.

This is so clear. If the league had such clear cut proof of tampering they wouldnt have had the need to even hire Wells and have him write this embarrassment leaving out crucial details and data.

If you have the proof you dont need to go though all of that.

However, there is also a good chance that Bob Kraft was 'out of his mind angry' at the railroading his team was getting, as reported, and wanted the truth to be made public.

I'm good with all of those reasons, and really see no downside.
And I'm ok if Kraft remains out of his mind angry and digs the NFL executive team such a deep hole that the last time something alive was at that depth, a huge dinosaur took a dump on the very same spot. If there is a way to maneuver this into a system that will strip away any protection they have (from being in the NFL) would be great too.

Make them feel real world consequences for their actions. of course, I'm dreaming, but hey I can be out of my mind mad too.

The biggest problem of all with this freaking clown show is the NFL's ridiculously low standard for "proof" of wrongdoing to warrant punishment. How did they EVER decide that thresholds like "more likely than not" and "generally aware" could legitimately form bases for action jeopardizing people's reputations and livelihoods? It's madness.

Ask the players.

They're the ones who voted to approve a CBA that didn't tighten this stuff up.

And I'm ok if Kraft remains out of his mind angry and digs the NFL executive team such a deep hole that the last time something alive was at that depth, a huge dinosaur took a dump on the very same spot. If there is a way to maneuver this into a system that will strip away any protection they have (from being in the NFL) would be great too.

Make them feel real world consequences for their actions. of course, I'm dreaming, but hey I can be out of my mind mad too.
You dont have to dream it. It may happen.

Fraud
Discrimination
Breach of Contract
Malicious Intent
Defamation

The NFL is on a roll.

This report may be the best of both worlds.
Look at it this way. There is so much in there that castrates the Wells report that there is no way Goodell risks going to court. Since the Patriot just showed the case that the NFL cannot beat, look for the NFL to cave.
Had this report not been made public, no one would know why the league caved, Goodell would not be in the crosshairs and losing his job, and everyone would have thought a backroom deal was made and the Patriots bought their way out.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am 100% on board with their decision to publish something; I just think the format is overkill. They are trying to speak to the public and casual fan, but their response is a dissertation. 99.9% of fans didn't read the Wells Report; they read the Cliffs Notes. Patriots could have written 3-4 paragraphs of their strongest points, rather than a novel.

I agree.

Something verbal would have hit a homerun IMO.

I dont think that Kraft makes any decisions in a knee jerk way. Especially not very important ones like those. Also don't forget that he is surrounded by experienced lawyers that would tell him bluntly if a particular decision is poor.

This is all part of a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft