PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm still proud of Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said many times before, Matt Cassel didn't allow Brown to score four rushing TDs, etc., etc.

But let's face facts: when Brady went down, your first thought was probably "there goes the #%@@ing season."

So far, Cassel's led us to two more wins than a lot of people here would have figured. And, last I checked, he didn't blow the whistle on the "in the grasp" call, and he sure as heck didn't let Ronnie Brown score four TDs, or let Pennington get 100+ yards on his first eight pass attempts.

Yeah, sometimes he tries too hard, and sometimes he misses potentially great plays. But he's playing about as well as any of us could expect, if not better, given how he played this preseason.

In other words: he's still our quarterback this season, and I'd still rather have Cassel than anyone else.

Last edited:
what kind of Kool Aid are you drinking?

Get real

You'd rather have him than anyone else?

I'm talking about anyone that the Patriots could actually get (Daunte Culpepper, etc.).

And, has been said before, Tom Brady's not coming to the Pats' rescue this season.

Last edited:
I stand with you. Cassel is a work in progress. The defensive coaches let us down today. Offensive coaches need to provide proper protection for Matt as well. Terrible day all around but Matt looked a lot like the young Tom Brady of 2001...IMHO

I agree with OP - Cassel is not the reason we lost today, he is only part of it, just as he was part of the two victories.

Patriots were totally outplayed on both sides of the line and right there, in the trenches is where this game was lost.

Looks like Bills may also go down, so were still in first place -- UPDATE DAYAM 2nd place - it will be that kind of a season.

Let;s see who is left standing, I LIKE our chances.

Last edited:
I stand with you. Cassel is a work in progress. The defensive coaches let us down today. Offensive coaches need to provide proper protection for Matt as well. Terrible day all around but Matt looked a lot like the young Tom Brady of 2001...IMHO

That's all I expect of him.

I'm talking about anyone that the Patriots could actually get (Daunte Culpepper, etc.).

And, has been said before, Tom Brady's not coming to the Pats' rescue this season.

Oh alright, I wasn't trying to be an *******, I was jsut looking for some clarification

Maybe this team needs a QB who can actually do something? We were up a creek without a paddle the second Brady went down, so there was no one else at the time. I'm not proud of a QB who comes out of the half throwing ducks. Every week he's ineffective. Just face it, we were ****ed the second Brady went down and we just got to handle this season. At least we'll have nice draft picks:]

the whistle blown call is a moot point, considering everyone but cassel gave up on the play once the whistle was blown so you cant say for sure that he would have scored if the play wasn't blown dead.

completed passes are misleading, cassel did have a horrible game, the defense had an even worse game, but scoring 13 points is hard to win against almost anyone anyways.

As has been said many times before, Matt Cassel didn't allow Brown to score four rushing TDs, etc., etc.

But let's face facts: when Brady went down, your first thought was probably "there goes the #%@@ing season."

So far, Cassel's led us to two more wins than a lot of people here would have figured. And, last I checked, he didn't blow the whistle on the "in the grasp" call, and he sure as heck didn't let Ronnie Brown score four TDs, or let Pennington get 100+ yards on his first eight pass attempts.

Yeah, sometimes he tries too hard, and sometimes he misses potentially great plays. But he's playing about as well as any of us could expect, if not better, given how he played this preseason.

In other words: he's still our quarterback this season, and I'd still rather have Cassel than anyone else.

I agree with OP - Cassel is not the reason we lost today, he is only part of it, just as he was part of the two victories.

Patriots were totally outplayed on both sides of the line and right there, in the trenches is where this game was lost.

Looks like Bills may also go down, so were still in first place - it will be that kind of a season.

Let;s see who is left standing, I LIKE our chances.

Couldn't have said it better.

A potential plus out of today's spanking is that maybe, just maybe, the bandwagon will get a lot lighter and the drama queens will find somewhere else to hang out.

I'd have to agree. My expectations were not too high for Cassel. However his accuracy today was terrible, and what happened to his "Brady-like" mechanics.

I think we need to look at McDaniels for leaning on the D to heavily, not Cassel.

Everyone on this board that's dogging Cassel is either a badwagoner or just plain stupid. When Brady took over for Drew back in 2001 he didn't look any better. They spoke about it during the game about how Tom got his ass handed to him by Miami on his second start.

Flashback 2001...OMG!!! Drews down and hurt! Here goes our season down the toilet. Who the hell is this Tom guy anyway. Damn he's a FLIPPING 6th round pick!!! WE'RE DOOMED!!!

My how quickly we forget!!!! Cassel Basher Jack_sses!!!!

Most of the idiots blaming Cassel for today weren't here in 2001. And they seldom see the guys they foolishly tout as alternatives play like crap even though they frequently do or they wouldn't be available...

I'm with you.

All we can ask of Cassel is to make some plays wherever possible, not make too many mistakes, and just manage the game. It's hard to do that if the rest of your team is falling apart around you. Cassel could have done better, but the defense should have done better.

Can't say I'm too proud of him today. He mentally imploded after one bad call. Maybe he could have recovered from that, but the next play he threw a pick and any confidence he'd built the last two games was gone.

Yeah, the defense imploded, but I'm willing to treat that as an anomaly based on the weird playcalling from Miami. They still should have stopped it (or at least been able to slow it down) but there was at least a plausible reason for it. Cassel lost it mentally, and physically any pass he attempts longer than 7 yards is more likely to be picked off than caught. The rest of the team is too good to wait for his balls to drop.

the whistle blown call is a moot point, considering everyone but cassel gave up on the play once the whistle was blown so you cant say for sure that he would have scored if the play wasn't blown dead.

completed passes are misleading, cassel did have a horrible game, the defense had an even worse game, but scoring 13 points is hard to win against almost anyone anyways.

I thought you went golfing...LOL

Cassel's OL and at least one of his WR had lousier games. Nearly as lousy as everyone on D not named Hobbs. Go figure.

I'd have to agree. My expectations were not too high for Cassel. However his accuracy today was terrible, and what happened to his "Brady-like" mechanics.

Yeah, his mechanics broke down at times, but there were also a good number of plays where he was putting the ball exactly where he needed to. Heck, even Brady had a decent number of cr*ptacular throws just last year.

Actually, there's one other thing that this loss does--granted, it's making lemonade, but, nevertheless--it's no longer "Can Cassel extend Brady's streak?" It's "What can Cassel do?"

Cassel is not the man

Sorry Cassel lovers .... this has to do with your guy!

The D came out flat ... why? my guess is Cassel lost this team
in practice. No one will admit it but I bet there is more than one
guy on that defense that thinks ..." live to fight another year"

Your QB has to inspire confidence not only on offense but on defense.
There is a reason Moss looks off his game ... why the Oline is not
blocking as well as it did for Tom ... why the D looks lethargic at times ..
... my bet is it's a loss of confidence in the new leader.

Cassel looked over his head today ... bad throws ... bad decisions ...
... too slow finding the open guy. He should have had at least 2
more ints. He is too easily read and the fins figured it out.
.... just bad .... PATs are in big trouble. :eek:
They better trade for a QB if possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes