PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm getting very excited about the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could still draft another 1-2 players that could contribute and make the team better and deeper. After that, it is expected that a number of good but higher cost players will be cut from teams once the draft is complete. If we pick up 2 or 3 of those in any remaining spots of need and the Pats choose wisely, things are looking up!

5th in points allowed, it depends on the stat you use.

Points allowed is misleading unless you adjust for starting field position (offensive TOs and the like).

Also, points and yardage are alike misleading unless you also add in a measurement of defensive TOs created that help out the offense.

Last edited:
Points allowed is misleading unless you adjust for starting field position (offensive TOs and the like).

Also, points and yardage are alike misleading unless you also add in a measurement of defensive TOs created that help out the offense.

Any stat is misleading if you don't put it into context.
But when you strip away the potential mitigating factors (which typically only have a smalll impact anyway) the ultimate job of a D is to not allow points, a D that allows more yards and fewer points has done a better job that one that allows fewer yards but more points, all things equal, so I have always considered points allowed to be the most telling measure.

And yards allowed aren't misleading when it's points that win and lose games ?

:bricks:

I would like another pass rusher to pair with Cunningham. My favorites left are Corey Wooton, Greg Hardy, and Austen Lane. I think Bill wants to wait till next years draft to take a true elite 3-4 DE prospect in the first round (Cameron Heyward) to replace Seymour. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a late round flyer this year on someone like Clifton Geathers or Kade Weston.

Agreed, the pass rush still needs help and your favorites would definitely help out, I'm a huge Lane fan!

Any stat is misleading if you don't put it into context.

Right.

I think I saw somewhere that the Pats had the 3rd best offense in 2009 (really??), but those who followed the season know how dysfunctional it was at times.

Finding a viable DE (John Henderson please) and having Spikes become the thumper that we've needed next to Mayo since we drafted him in 2008 would do wonders for this defense by themselves.

I think I saw somewhere that the Pats had the 3rd best offense in 2009 (really??), but those who followed the season know how dysfunctional it was at times.

I'm sure just about every team went through periods their fans would label as 'dysfunctional' last year.

Seeing as how no one on this board watches the 31 other teams entire sixteen game schedule, they act as if our problems are exclusive to us.

Also, yes the Patriots had a statistical top 5 defense last year. I value points over yards as points, not yards, win games.

Still need another olb, kinda wish we had picked up Jason Taylor for two years now.
Prediction: Jets will cut Bryan Thomas after the draft, and we will sign him. He's a better fit for our system than Taylor anyway.

Prediction: Jets will cut Bryan Thomas after the draft, and we will sign him. He's a better fit for our system than Taylor anyway.

Rex has already ruled out releasing Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes