PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm all in on Aaron Dobson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobson and KT have more speed and talent than Loser Lafail. What is he doing on the team. While I think Dobson and KT can be very good WRs. However everybody must admit while they are only in sophomore seasons they have not been consistent go to WRs yet and there should be another talented WR in the event they don't step up consistently. Loser Lafail is barely a back up to Dobson or KT. Patriots should have signed an Emanuel Sanders or traded for a Brian Quick or Denarius Moore or drafted a Paul Richardson or Marquise Lee. Til a big play WR consistently steps up you can't have enough WR prospects. Both Denarius Moore or Brian Quick I think could be awesome catching from Brady. As could KT and Dobson but til somebody does you can't have enough prospects. Loser Lafail isn't a talented prospect to breakout, he is just a cheap option

Last edited:
Why when comparing Dobson and Patterson do you take away Patterson's ability to play RB and KR? That's part of his talent and the package you get with him. Dobson to this point is a mediocre at best injured WR. While Patterson is mediocre also at WR, the fact that he would give NE a respectable Kick return game and another threat out of the backfield would help. Don't forget that CP could be the field stretcher NE needs to open it up for Gronk and JE

It's amazing how many people have made factual decisions after one regular season game.

LaFell could go out and catch for one hundred yards and 3 tds tomorrow and you can be guaranteed these people will deny they called him a loser.
Dodson similarly could go either way yet. He really has proved nothing yet.

Why when comparing Dobson and Patterson do you take away Patterson's ability to play RB and KR? That's part of his talent and the package you get with him. Dobson to this point is a mediocre at best injured WR. While Patterson is mediocre also at WR, the fact that he would give NE a respectable Kick return game and another threat out of the backfield would help. Don't forget that CP could be the field stretcher NE needs to open it up for Gronk and JE

Agree 100%. I wish more hardcore patriots fan would see this view.

On a separate note, doesn't Patterson seem like Belichicks dream player? Belichick preaches how important special teams and versatility is. Well the way Patterson runs the ball, he is as versatile as they come. As far as special teams go, he is a special teams pro bowler. Belichick would love Patterson.

I don't take it away his other skills. He is a Pro Bowl returner. He can be dangerous in the running game, but he is limited 2-3 runs a game. So far, he has had about two games where he was a major factor on offense ( that includes his running). That is about the same amount as Dobson. And he only had 158 yards rushing last year. It isn't like he 300-500 rushing yards. He had 107 last Sunday.

And maybe it is the QBs Minnesota, but Patterson has done next to nothing to help the Vikes stretch the field. Dobson has been more of a down the field threat thus far in their careers.

Last edited:
Dobson and KT have more speed and talent than Loser Lafail. What is he doing on the team. While I think Dobson and KT can be very good WRs. However everybody must admit while they are only in sophomore seasons they have not been consistent go to WRs yet and there should be another talented WR in the event they don't step up consistently. Loser Lafail is barely a back up to Dobson or KT. Patriots should have signed an Emanuel Sanders or traded for a Brian Quick or Denarius Moore or drafted a Paul Richardson or Marquise Lee. Til a big play WR consistently steps up you can't have enough WR prospects. Both Denarius Moore or Brian Quick I think could be awesome catching from Brady. As could KT and Dobson but til somebody does you can't have enough prospects. Loser Lafail isn't a talented prospect to breakout, he is just a cheap option

Let me guess. You aren't a fan of Brandon LaFell.

Rob,

Patterson has 10 touchdowns in only 17 career games! That is a lot. More than twice as many as Dobson got. Patterson is a touchdown machine.

Speaking of kick return. It would be nice to have a 6'2 210lb 4.3 kick returner with explosive playmaking ability back there.

Rob,

Patterson has 10 touchdowns in only 17 career games! That is a lot. More than twice as many as Dobson got. Patterson is a touchdown machine.

Several things:
  • Dobson missed three games due to injury and was injured for about 3-4 more.
  • Patterson got two on special teams. Not dismissing it, but it isn't offense either. Not fair comparison to count those special teams TDs in a comparison when Dobson doesn't play special teams
  • Also, Patterson got six of his seven offensive TDs in the last five games of the season after Dobson was already injured. So if Dobson played a full year healthy, he might have had that type of explosion too.

Again, Patterson has shown a lot of promise. He is a Pro Bowl returner. But you make him out to be a special player that everyone has to gameplan for, but that isn't the truth. He didn't start running the ball well until late in the year last year and once teams get more film on him, they may figure out how to stop him.

I still don't get why you continue to tout him as a Percy Harvin. That is what they are grooming him to be, but he isn't there yet. He may be at some point, but he did not have an impressive rookie season on offense. He was a non-factor until the end of the year.

Rob,

I don't want to make it seem like I am bashing Dobson. I liked Dobson coming out of college. I am still a fan of his. I thought he showed potential last year. However, he needs to get over this injury bug and start producing more on the field. Dobson needs to produce now. Dobson needs to reach his full potential soon. Brady is 37 years old. We can't waste Brady's best years, he doesn't have many of them left.

I think most of us assume that he'll definitely see reps, Joey. I don't believe that he was on the injury report at any time this week.
That's good, I'm just hoping they actually activate him this week.

I actually think that DAL's biggest problem is its ownership and coaching. Everything usually starts at the top, and this is a good example of it--at least in my opinion.

I don't see that much of a difference between say...Ben Roethlisbeger and Tony Romo; and Roethlisberger took his team to the SB 3x.

I agree with you that Romo is too much of a gunslinger, but then again isn't Eli Manning? (another 2x SB winner).

I think the thought that Romo is "the" main problem is silly, although I respect your opinion and understand why you think that way. I think they have a lot of more important issues to address before Romo, and one could make an argument that he actually wins as many games for them as he loses. Just my .02 cents, of course.

I agree with this as well. And IMO if a competent GM/Owner were to get in charge, the QB spot would have to be near the top of the list as candidate position for the first major upgrade for the salary spent. You really don't need to spend THAT much for what he brings to the table, right? Overall I think DAL as an organization/fanbase has become irrationally attached to Romo and his mystique whatever that is. I guess it's a Texas thing, but they really love their QB's (ie hometown veteran, to clarify) down there it seems. But yes, the GM/Owner isn't the best either.

Also somewhat related, I'm not sure how Jones made his money (nor does it matter or I'd look it up, still might edit it in later) but from what I've seen over the last 15 years+, you'd have to pick Kraft over Jones to run your company. That is, if profits and success were the criteria of course. :) It's really quite amazing how they both went in completely different directions as owners and the results that followed, and not just the W-L results either. Everything really.

Last edited:
I can agree with this as well. If a competent GM/Owener was in charge, that QB spot would have to be near the top of the list as a candidate for a major upgrade for the salary spent.

My wife is a lifetime Cboys fan, and I'm not even kidding when I tell you that almost every article or piece of info that she passes on, I think to myself "we'd never do things that way."

I think most DAL fans are kind of hoping that Jerry Jones goes senile and no longer makes the important decisions any longer. It seems like every single thing they do is a ploy for attention, such as last week's "glitz and glamor of the NFL" comment.

What they need to do is start over again with basis principles. I think that could come from a disciplinarian type of coach, but unfortunately for DAL fans, J.Jones is looking for more of a "yes man" who will do as told.

Hey. Draftniks. I want to stop hearing who you were screaming the Pats should have drafted. I really really want to stop hearing it.

Here is why. You do not remember who you were screaming the Pats should have drafted when it was some "meh" guy that maybe flashed in the pan for one year.

Now there's no defending the Eugene Chungs and Hart Lee Dykes... and there's no denying the Jerod Mayos. But at the top of every draft, you've got a bunch of useless first rounders that an NFL team -- all of which are smarter than you -- made the wrong decision.

Stop telling me about the time or two you perceive yourself as right. Just fugging stop. Stop.

Lookit, here's the 2010 first round...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2010&round=round1#round1

First two picks, Bradford and Suh. Okay, pretty good output. Now up come the TB Bucs. 3rd pick in the whole draft. Gerald McCoy, DT. Um okay, good enough production, sure, but I'm gonna say if the Pats used a 3rd overall on him we'd be slitting our wrists... 1 pro bowl in 4 years, highest sack total ever, 9... seems to be decent at being around/causing fumbles, but really? Meh. Okay. We'd take him, just not a superstar.

Okay that's getting off topic. Back to the rest of 2010... so we get McCourty at 27. And you can remember and scream that you said "OMG Ben Tate was still on the board!!!!" if in fact Ben Tate was worthy of note. In fact, he was still on the board when we picked Gronk in the second. Or Maybe you believe Jared Odrick was better/more important than McCourty has been over 4 years, and "OMG while Jared Odrick was still on the board" is your mantra. Not even looking these guys up, going by reputation, and thinking okay maybe these guys are the types of guys you would do this on. McCluster is another one. You know a fantasy position player that gets a lot of points in PPR leagues... he must have been better than whoever we picked.

I think you named Cordarelle Patterson. Love the guy. Have him in a couple of leagues myself. But really, making that pick the be-all, end-all, with Patterson as "proof" of an errant pick? Not even enough to judge by yet.

But just like you never see a past-life regresser talk about how he picked watery potatoes out of the ground for 35 years then died of dysentery, you never see a draftnik screaming about how the Pats drafted player X while they were screaming about how some **** player was still on the board.

Just like saying, OMG you didn't buy Apple in 1984 you fugging IDIOT, you bought 100 shares of Amiga while Apple was still on the board.

Selective memory SO pisses me off. The woulda shoulda coulda stuff is worthless. And for that matter, it's still at least 3 years until you know what you've got.

Okay /rant

Last edited:
Anyone still think we should have taken Patterson? Bear in mind we got both Collins and Logan Ryan for Patterson... Ryan won that match-up today.

Today was the perfect example of people putting a flashy player on a pedestal. Yes, Patterson is talented but its a whole lot of hype. Notice how many times they motioned him from receiver to line up in the back field?

That is because he is pretty mediocre to below average receiver.. they need to find ways to the ball in his hand because he isn't the best at running routes or gaining separation in the passing game.

I...I...I WANT everything I've ever seen on TV!!!!! Give it to ME!!!!

instant-gratification-is-not-soon-enough.jpg

Hopefully he's more involved in the next couple of games. Not sure how many snaps he played today but I'm assuming they were easing him in?

Well in Brady's 22 attempts he was targeted 3 times and got a first down with Xavier Rhodes draped on his back and was interfered with by Rhodes that gave them a first down. Also would have setup a decent 25 yard gain for Amendola but he doesn't wear orange and blue so he got called for a penalty.

Last edited:
Well in Brady's 22 attempts he was targeted 3 times and got a first down with Xavier Rhodes draped on his back and was interfered with by Rhodes that gave them a first down. Also would have setup a decent 25 yard gain for Amendola but he doesn't wear orange and blue so he got called for a penalty.

His pick attempt was a lousy one, and it was an obvious penalty. It had nothing to do with him not wearing orange and blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back