PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you had to pick someone at #7 right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, i didn't know that Campbell runs that fast for a man of his size. That size and speed is rare to find and may make me think that the Pats may consider him because you probably can't find someone like that in the later rounds.

Reasons he was a top5 pick before season:
Size/Speed/Strength combo
his production
big school

He was being compared to Julius Peppers in many ways..he used to be a little lighter but added weight while getting stronger. Some thought he MIGHT be able to play OLB in 3-4 but hes 6"8..thats huge and he added weight to 280 and probably isnt very fluid/quick in large space to play OLB so hes more suited for a 4-3 DE.

hes a lean and lanky 280 pounder and i think he can really get up to 290 and still have very good athletism. Even 300 lbs but that would take some away. He got so hyped that a decent season which would have been good for other DEs, and once he failed to meet expectations, people dropped him hard but i still think hes a top 15 pick especially if he runs 4.85 or better

Last edited:
Sure, let's get a sleeper ILB in the second or third round! We've needed a young developmental ILB for several years. When did we last succeed at drafting a LB in any part of the draft?

Maybe you consider Banta-Cain such a player. He was mostly invisible for 3 years, played OK in his contract year and left. He was a fine pick.

The patriots have been much more able to draft defensive backs after the first round. Recent additions include Sanders, Andrews, Samuel, Wilson, and Gay (UDFA). We did pick Meriweather in the late first. In the end, corner for us is not likely to be the value pick at #7. Sign me up for a DE/OLB, ILB or OT.
There will be a blue chipper left at 7 at one of these positions. In addition, we will add at least a couple of jags for camp. Chad Scott will likely be back. Richardson will be tested again. We might even trade for a corner who doesn't get hurt.

The Patriots almost would have to take a CB with #7. If they do not then they have Asante locked up. Number 7 gives us the first CB taken in the draft and hopefully, the best one. I've noticed in the mocks, that only 1 LB is projected to go in the first round. With that in mind, maybe we can pick up a sleeper in round 2-3? Our second and early third pick are more intriguing then the first. Those picks should be really good talent and if they are not a CB or LB, it will interesting to see who's chosen.

i wouldnt mind it because he can play corner as well as safety but hes getting a 2nd round grade by Mayock i think and theres a case of "him disappearing too often" which im not really sure istrue. being a miami fan..he always flew to the ball and was there to make tackles with a somewhat poor supporting cast around him

Yea, and I don't want to see anyone question his commitment either:

"Junior S Kenny Phillips said after the game he might have a torn tendon in his ankle. He played through the injury and had seven tackles."

Knowing this (combined with his physical ability and intelligence) are the reasons I can't understand some posters saying he's not even an option.

Sure, let's get a sleeper ILB in the second or third round! We've needed a young developmental ILB for several years. When did we last succeed at drafting a LB in any part of the draft?

Maybe you consider Banta-Cain such a player. He was mostly invisible for 3 years, played OK in his contract year and left. He was a fine pick.

The patriots have been much more able to draft defensive backs after the first round. Recent additions include Sanders, Andrews, Samuel, Wilson, and Gay (UDFA). We did pick Meriweather in the late first. In the end, corner for us is not likely to be the value pick at #7. Sign me up for a DE/OLB, ILB or OT.
There will be a blue chipper left at 7 at one of these positions. In addition, we will add at least a couple of jags for camp. Chad Scott will likely be back. Richardson will be tested again. We might even trade for a corner who doesn't get hurt.

I've given up on thinking we value a young ilb enough to draft and develop that high. I think AD moves back inside next year. We get a pass-rusher at 7. Allows us to spell Vrabel/Colvin more as they get up in age. And, will give us that 4th qtr pass rush without blitzing. I think Gholston might be that guy. But, if there is a cb on board worth taking. That's good too. I think we'll sign a veteran ilb. Maybe, Bruschi or Seau. If they both walk. Then a veteran UFA.
An embarrassment of riches for this team. 7th pick in 1st round. 5th pick in 3rd round or thereabouts. These are spots where cellar dwellers usually pick. Not great teams. We can even move higher up into round 2 by trading our 3 to move ahead of the other playoff teams.

You skipped Hobbs (3rd rounder). In any case the Patriots do not have to pick a CB at 7th overall. I really can't understand that posters saying this, as the Patriots have had success develop CB's selected post second round.

We have four solid picks in the first three rounds. We could use our 4th and 5th to move up as needed. It won't take much to move Oakland's 3rd into the second round. We could trade down from 7 and have five picks in the first 100. Super Bowl teams are not supposed to be able to do that, keep almost all their players, and still sign a couple of key free agents.

It is indeed about Seau and/or Bruschi walking. How many steps have they lost? Can they walk; can they run; can they cover?

I'm fine with Colvin, Vrabel and Green as our pass-rushers (with Woods as the developmental backup), although I agree that we'd pick another if a top one if the value is there at 7.

We may be overrating Gholston. We'll see.

I've given up on thinking we value a young ilb enough to draft and develop that high. I think AD moves back inside next year. We get a pass-rusher at 7. Allows us to spell Vrabel/Colvin more as they get up in age. And, will give us that 4th qtr pass rush without blitzing. I think Gholston might be that guy. But, if there is a cb on board worth taking. That's good too. I think we'll sign a veteran ilb. Maybe, Bruschi or Seau. If they both walk. Then a veteran UFA.
An embarrassment of riches for this team. 7th pick in 1st round. 5th pick in 3rd round or thereabouts. These are spots where cellar dwellers usually pick. Not great teams. We can even move higher up into round 2 by trading our 3 to move ahead of the other playoff teams.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56412

McKelvin has impressed at the senior bowl, but I doubt he's done enough to vault himself into the top 7. We'll know more postcombine of course, but he looks like a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick to me at the moment.

Mayotte said on NFL Network after watching him at the Senior Bowl practices that if he had a good combine he would be a top ten pick. Dunta Robinson made a similar run the year he came out.

Lua will also be back at ILB.

So will Alexander. Lua likely would not have made the squad this year. But yes, he is coming back

Lua will also be back at ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes