PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster....

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you could have added a former Pats player who would it have been?

• Randy Moss

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Ty Law

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Willie McGinest

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Corey Dillon

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Mike Vrabel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Seymour

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Rodney Harrison

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Someone else? (explain)

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster

Haven't read the thread, so don't know if somebody already said....
Andre Tippett. Sack-MONSTER.

Re: If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster

For me has to be Tedy Bruschi He would lead the D by example and in voice he would have picked Eli off on the pass Mayo almost had TB54 would be in the same place as mayo but turned to see that ball and had it.

I completely agree. If Bruschi was in his prime that pass would have been picked off. No doubt about it. It was the right call on D, and Manning even said he didn't see him. Mayo just isn't a game changer like Bruschi was.

Ted Johnson is here now, at least his replacement is (mayo).We need someone with some game changing-ball hawking skills to go with Mayo.

If your post is about respect, the man has mine. :youtheman:

I think we have a young version of Johnson in Spikes ....Brandon has already been compared to a young Ted in run stop.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Spikes will be an All-Pro ILB within the next 2 years.

I said if not in the Bellichick era, Andre Tippet, 3 seconds later....

Haven't read the thread, so don't know if somebody already said....
Andre Tippett. Sack-MONSTER.

:singing: beat you to the punch

Last edited:

I'd also take Michael Haynes over Ty. Man, we were lucky to have so many all-time greats pass through Foxborough.:verycool:

Seymour with McGinest a close second.

If I had to go defense it would be Rodney Harrison because Law was too physical early in his career and he wouldn't get away with it now.

You want Rodney Harrison over somebody else because the other guy was too physical? :singing::eek::singing:

Last edited:

By the way, if I were to pick a defensive guy it might well be McGinest. He just had a knack for making clutch plays. (My suspicion is that there was some structural reason, like stamina or use of specific moves, why he couldn't be that good all the time -- I don't think it was just lack of consistent effort.)

I'm going to take a guess and assume you missed the premise of this thread?

Gronk wasn't a contributor on Sunday Graham was the best TE from the BB reign. We have a 2 TE O and only 1 was able to contribute.

Great question. I was torn between Ty and Rodney but I went with Ty because he was the best we've ever had at that position and was around for all 3 rings. But boy how much more swagger would that D have with Rodney....

Randy Moss??? Amazing how many folks around here just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Chose Rodney. I was torn between him and Law though.

My first thought was Ty Law. Imagine having that shutdown corner added to this team?

But then I realized....this team actually played good defense in the Super Bowl (and in the entire playoffs, really). D wasn't really the bigger problem. The offense was. They should have put up more than 21 points.

So in that vein, especially knowing now that Gronk was a shell of himself, having Randy Moss in his prime probably would have been the piece I'd rather have.

someone else.

I would like Tom Brady in his prime

i cant believe how many people picked moss over the other great players on that list. mind boggling. i went with ty law. rodney would have been my second choice. moss would be my last choice. he doesnt even belong on the list.

Last edited:

i cant believe how many people picked moss over the other great players on that list. mind boggling. i went with ty law. rodney would have been my second choice.

If you're talking about just the Super Bowl, I said Moss. But if you're talking about which guy I'd want for the 2012 season....hmmmm... Definitely a defensive player. It's hard to say. I guess we're limited to the BB era, right? Otherwise a guy like Andre Tippett probably would be my preference. 3-4 OLB, utterly, utterly dominant. 1984: 18.5 sacks, 1985: 16.5 sacks.

Think the Pats could use an edge rusher like that? Um, yeah.

But if we're not allowed to go back that far, I think it would come down, for me, to one of these three guys:

Richard Seymour
Ty Law
Rodney Harrison

Seymour in his prime was an absolute monster. Put him next to Wilfork and the D-line is immovable. Plus, he played with a real attitude.

Law was the shutdown corner we need.

Harrison was the enforcer, and I think much of our CB problems actually were safety problems. Putting an all-pro safety back there covers a lot of problems.

But if I had my druthers, I'd go with an in-his-prime Andre Tippett.

i cant believe how many people picked moss over the other great players on that list. mind boggling. i went with ty law. rodney would have been my second choice.

You must have missed that whole 18-1, and greatest offense ever, thing....

I'm not saying that Moss has to be the answer, but to be in a position where you "can't believe" Moss is getting votes just makes no sense.

Last edited:

why is tippet not on this list............like really or coates?

why is tippet not on this list............like really or coates?

The original post limited the suggestions to guys in the Belichick era. (as head coach, I presume)

This just goes to show how underrated Seymour was as a player. In his prime the guy was a force. He would have made that front seven significantly better and this defense would look totally different if a guy of his caliber was playing next to Wilfork.

I vote for Big Willie! During the Superbowl years, he was a very disruptive force and always there to make a big play when you needed it. He's never been replaced. You forget how good he was. Watch his highlights on youtube there unbelieveable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News