PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster....

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you could have added a former Pats player who would it have been?

• Randy Moss

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Ty Law

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Willie McGinest

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Corey Dillon

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Mike Vrabel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Seymour

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Rodney Harrison

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Someone else? (explain)

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster

Curtis "Canton" Martin.

oops...just saw the "Belichick era" qualifier.

But I guess I would argue that Martin played in the NFL during the Belichick era and played for the Pats in 1996 when Belichick was Assistant Head Coach to Parcells.

In any event, sure would have like to have had him in the backfield on Sunday.....

Last edited:
Re: If you could have had one former Patriots player in his prime added to the roster

This is a good thread to see how we view the team. Many think that it is the offense that is needy (WR and RB) and that was need in the Super Bowl.

My view is that the secondary has been our weakness all season. Ty Law would have made a huge difference. So would Milloy or Harrison. So would OTIS.

As far as the offense, we needed Brady and Welker to connect in crunch time (also with other receivers). The issue was not the need for more personnel.

Dillon was the first thing i thought before I even saw the poll options.

Or Rodney Harrison.

No love for Vrabel :(.... I guess he was a nice addition to our SB defenses but not a player who would be likely to change a games outcome.

OK Daniel Graham.

I'm going to take a guess and assume you missed the premise of this thread?

Probably Randy Moss, if we're getting him circa 2004. If not him, then maybe Dillon.

Last edited:

Probably Randy Moss, if we're getting him circa 2004. If not him, then maybe Dillon.

1.) Belichick era

2.) I'd caution the wisdom of taking players from a bygone era.

Originally said #56 (Andre Tippett), then read more than just the thread title. :rolleyes:

Belichick era choice would be Ty Law. Just so sick of seeing our DBs a step behind and not in position to break up passes. I'm convinced that Ty in his prime would have meant the defense getting off the field more quickly, possibly another sack, less skewed time of possession.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

Last edited:

Seymour
Harrison
Moss
Law
Neal

I think a case can be made for any of the above five, depending upon circumstances moving forward.

Gah....totally forgot about Seymour. He'd probably be my top choice.

This is a good thread to see how we view the team. Many think that it is the offense that is needy (WR and RB) and that was need in the Super Bowl.

My view is that the secondary has been our weakness all season. Ty Law would have made a huge difference. So would Milloy or Harrison. So would OTIS.

As far as the offense, we needed Brady and Welker to connect in crunch time (also with other receivers). The issue was not the need for more personnel.

The offense is fine. It's been setting NFL records since '07.

The revolving door defense is definitely the problem.

Has anyone ever counted up how many players have rotated through this defense in the past few years ? 50 ? 100 ? 200 ? Whatever, it's ridiculous.

Seymour
Harrison
Moss
Law
Neal

I think a case can be made for any of the above five, depending upon circumstances moving forward.

Offensive linemen rarely get love in these types of polls,if they did then I would have included Damian Woody or Joe Andruzzi

....I Loved both those guys before they left.

Ty Law

McCourty struggling in 2011 and Bodden not being the same put a wrench in BBs expectations for 2011. You cannot say that BB didnt have a contingency plan if something happened. BB drafted Dowling.

What were the odds of Bodden not being the same player, McCourty regressing to the point where BB felt is necessary to move him out of the CB position and Dowling landing on IR?

Talk about the perfect storm of decimating a secondary.

Its crucial the secondary is fixed for 2012 because you saw what happened in the SB and the Pittsburgh game. Teams passed to their hearts content and were able to keep Brady on the bench.

Ty Law

McCourty struggling in 2011 and Bodden not being the same put a wrench in BBs expectations for 2011. You cannot say that BB didnt have a contingency plan if something happened. BB drafted Dowling.

What were the odds of Bodden not being the same player, McCourty regressing to the point where BB felt is necessary to move him out of the CB position and Dowling landing on IR?

Talk about the perfect storm of decimating a secondary.

Its crucial the secondary is fixed for 2012 because you saw what happened in the SB and the Pittsburgh game. Teams passed to their hearts content and were able to keep Brady on the bench.

The Pittsburgh game was a mess because no one could cover the TE Miller one on one right down the middle,and once they got him better covered,it was time for Wallace to make an impact.

Offensive linemen rarely get love in these types of polls,if they did then I would have included Damian Woody or Joe Andruzzi

....I Loved both those guys before they left.

Unless you're talking about a franchise tackle, I think the relative value of an All-Pro defensive player >>>> interior lineman. At least for this team as it is currently composed.

As much as we need help in the secondary we still managed to hold our opponent under 27 points in all but two games this year.

With Randy Moss in his prime (top 3 at his position all time), teamed with our tight ends-- with or without Welker, the Pats are scoring close to 40 points every week...without question. You can't blitz. so you'd be dropping 7 or 8 hoping for Brady to make a bad read. But there would be holes all over the zone for Hernandez, Branch, Welker with Gronk and Moss switching bracket coverage.

If I had to go defense it would be Rodney Harrison because Law was too physical early in his career and he wouldn't get away with it now.

Randy Moss from 2007. Stretching the field with Gronk and Hernandez and welker underneath? WOW

Randy Moss from 2007. Stretching the field with Gronk and Hernandez and welker underneath? WOW

Yup, I voted for moss thinking back to 2007 as well. This team would have been unstoppable.

Unless you're talking about a franchise tackle, I think the relative value of an All-Pro defensive player >>>> interior lineman. At least for this team as it is currently composed.

I agree...thats why I left out Neal,Andruzzi and Woody from the poll

Not only for that reason,but IMO the OL did a pretty damn good job on Sunday for the way it was....MUCH MUCH better than the 07 SB.

Last edited:

Randy Moss or Ty Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back