PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we trade down from 3?

Until recently I was all in on a QB at 3 (especially Daniels) , however the more I read about trading down and getting 3 or 4 first round picks etc between 2024/2025 , I can see the point of addressing several positions but then.......who is the QB ?

If they love Maye and he’s there you take him, if they don’t why not maximize your position? Three firsts on a team that needs a ton of help can go a long way

Trading the pick and beefing up the roster sounds like a good idea until you realize that's what the Atlanta Falcons just did for 3 years, they just picked in the top 8 for 3 straight years and didn't pick a QB and what did that get them?

It got them another losing season, another top 8 pick and a good roster without a QB where the coach got fired and then they had to pay a soon to be 36 year old coming off an achilles 190m over 4 years.

Doesn't sound like a winning plan, people coming up with these trades always act like they're smarter than the NFL when they come up with the "we'll just get Pennix" plan like every other team wouldn't grab him in the late first or early 2nd if they thought he could be a franchise QB.

You only trade the pick if you think Maye or Daniels SUCKS, if you trade your way out of a top 12 QB it's a disaster even if you hit the draft picks.

You'd take a Jordan Love or a Dak Prescott level QB and a consistent playoff contender over the best left tackle in football in the Patriots current situation, people underestimate how little you'll care about your left tackle when you're watching veteran JAG after JAG or 2nd tier prospect cycle thru as another losing season happens.

Last edited:
Been reading that the 3 is in play... If we do trade it, nothing less than a kings ransom in picks should be coming our way...

Multiple firsts... Multiple lower level picks... The haul Chicago got for the Bryce pick should be the starting point ..

Three viable QBs in this draft + MHjr? Moving down should cost the team moving up a fortune...

Been reading that the 3 is in play... If we do trade it, nothing less than a kings ransom in picks should be coming our way...

Multiple firsts... Multiple lower level picks... The haul Chicago got for the Bryce pick should be the starting point ..

Three viable QBs in this draft + MHjr? Moving down should cost the team moving up a fortune...
If they trade the 3rd pick before the draft Eliot Wolf should be fired on the spot, you have to know who's sitting on the board before you make that trade and you have to be sure you don't like him, you can't be considered a serious operation if you're trading without knowing what's on the board when you have Jacoby Brissett as your current QB option.

Imagine the debacle if you like Daniels but think Maye sucks you trade the pick before the draft and the Commanders take Maye.

One point to note here: 3 to 6 was the equivalent of two 2s and a 3 that year, if one goes by the rule that a pick a year from now is worth one round less. By that same logic, 3 to 12 was the equivalent of a 2, a 3, and a 4.

That said, Miami did not need a QB; the Patriots do. I don't know what they'd demand beyond 11 and 23, but I would think it would either be their 1 next year or one of their WRs (I would guess Addison more than JJ).

If they trade the 3rd pick before the draft Eliot Wolf should be fired on the spot, you have to know who's sitting on the board before you make that trade and you have to be sure you don't like him, you can't be considered a serious operation if you're trading without knowing what's on the board when you have Jacoby Brissett as your current QB option.

Imagine the debacle if you like Daniels but think Maye sucks you trade the pick before the draft and the Commanders take Maye.
I agree. We should not pass on picking at 3...

But if we did, I'd expect a better deal than what Chicago got 2 years ago

One point to note here: 3 to 6 was the equivalent of two 2s and a 3 that year, if one goes by the rule that a pick a year from now is worth one round less. By that same logic, 3 to 12 was the equivalent of a 2, a 3, and a 4.

That said, Miami did not need a QB; the Patriots do. I don't know what they'd demand beyond 11 and 23, but I would think it would either be their 1 next year or one of their WRs (I would guess Addison more than JJ).
Ask for as much as you can get? All depends on the motivations of the buyer

I don't see them trading up until after they've had visits with the top QBs. After that, who knows? Maybe they'll be down on both Maye and Daniels.

Until recently I was all in on a QB at 3 (especially Daniels) , however the more I read about trading down and getting 3 or 4 first round picks etc between 2024/2025 , I can see the point of addressing several positions but then.......who is the QB ?
That last question negates everything good about above.

You likely have to ship up all those picks you’d receive to obtain a QB anyways.

I’m not convinced any of the top 3 QB’s will turn out well; each has about a 1 in 3 chance of being a top 15 NFL QB. I would trade down for 2025 1st and 2024 2nd or 3rd pick.
Two options follow; pick a QB like McCarthy or Nix; maybe a 1 in 4 chance of top 15. Use next two picks for WR and OT. Have extra 1st next year. Consider using next pick for another young QB Rattler/Pratt/other to improve chance of getting a top 15 in t(is draft year.
Option two:Go wild. Take WR and OT with 1st and second picks. Use next three picks for QB’s. Penix likely falls in draft and two others. 2nd and 3rd round draft picks have 10% chance of being top 15; chance of all three QB’s NOT being top 15 is 73%; so at least one of these QB’s being top 15 is 27%; almost as good as drafting with 3rd 1st round pick. Plus, you have earlier draft choices for WR and OT, and an extra 1st round next year. We carried 4 QB’s Brady’s first year, and can do it again if needed.
No QB that Patriots draft this year should start right away; give most of the year to learn.
Thoughts?

I’m not convinced any of the top 3 QB’s will turn out well; each has about a 1 in 3 chance of being a top 15 NFL QB. I would trade down for 2025 1st and 2024 2nd or 3rd pick.
Two options follow; pick a QB like McCarthy or Nix; maybe a 1 in 4 chance of top 15. Use next two picks for WR and OT. Have extra 1st next year. Consider using next pick for another young QB Rattler/Pratt/other to improve chance of getting a top 15 in t(is draft year.
Option two:Go wild. Take WR and OT with 1st and second picks. Use next three picks for QB’s. Penix likely falls in draft and two others. 2nd and 3rd round draft picks have 10% chance of being top 15; chance of all three QB’s NOT being top 15 is 73%; so at least one of these QB’s being top 15 is 27%; almost as good as drafting with 3rd 1st round pick. Plus, you have earlier draft choices for WR and OT, and an extra 1st round next year. We carried 4 QB’s Brady’s first year, and can do it again if needed.
No QB that Patriots draft this year should start right away; give most of the year to learn.
Thoughts?
I think Williams is the closest you can get to a lock these days, and even he's got 10% bust potential. I'm honestly not high on any other QB. This QB class has been overhyped just like 2021.

I think Williams is the closest you can get to a lock these days, and even he's got 10% bust potential. I'm honestly not high on any other QB. This QB class has been overhyped just like 2021.
He definitely has a lot of talent, but I’m unnerved by him going to his Mom and crying after a loss and being unable to lead his team to a strong won loss record. He’ll be going against more talented NFL defenses, so may not be able to make “Mahomes” throws. Time will tell.

He definitely has a lot of talent, but I’m unnerved by him going to his Mom and crying after a loss and being unable to lead his team to a strong won loss record. He’ll be going against more talented NFL defenses, so may not be able to make “Mahomes” throws. Time will tell.
I don't understand this take at all, and it's not just you. This kid (and he is a kid, he just turned 21) cared SO MUCH about a game that he got emotional with his mother. It's not like he acted like his leg was teh amputae when he twisted his ankle, and had to have a MASH unit carry him down the stairs while he was in tears.

Also, Lincoln Riley is just starting to get his recruits in there now - it wasn't a super-talented USC team. But, everyone not sitting at #1 has been talking themselves out of Caleb Williams all year, it's not that surprising. We'll find out on the field.

This really makes a trade down look attractive to a team with a lot of needs.
I can think of at least one team with a lot of needs… honestly draft picks are 50/50 at best, get a bunch of them and build up the trenches and find a way to get a QB over the next 2-3 years.

Not feeling like 2024 is going to be a 17-0 season.

Wake me up after the draft.

I would trade #3 to MIN for their 1st, 2nd & Jefferson.
That would give us the #1 WR, and still allow us to get Nix or JJ at #11
I've been all about trading down for Nix. This class may turn out a lot like the '21 QB class.
I think he's going to be as good as the "top 3" as a pro because he has the years of experience and he knows how to keep offense moving with the quick short game - and that's going to be our offense.
AVP will run a lot, and work the screens, crossers and 20% deep/seem shots out of that - which is what Nix did at Oregon.
It's a good match.

If they trade with Minnesota it better be a kings ransom. A sign and trade with Jefferson, make him the highest paid receiver, 11 and 23. Sorry if that’s too much, but for me, thats the starting point. They don’t like it, then find another partner.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back