PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Pats had drafted Revis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salva135

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
How do you think things would have played out? How would they have dealt with his rookie holdout issues? And his second holdout (would there have been one?) Would the Pats be held hostage by Revis right now assuming he had the same production he did on the Jets? Would he be gone by now, or later? Just curious how some think the Pats FO would have handled him given drafting him from day 1...

How do you think things would have played out? How would they have dealt with his rookie holdout issues? And his second holdout (would there have been one?) Would the Pats be held hostage by Revis right now assuming he had the same production he did on the Jets? Would he be gone by now, or later? Just curious how some think the Pats FO would have handled him given drafting him from day 1...

Probably would've been like Samuel use him up then franchise once then let him go.

I doubt he would have ever held out a whole year he'd cave eventually the Jesters just caved really early.

Curtis Martin, Asanthe Samuel, Deion Branch and so on...

As soon as he became a detriment to the team, he would have been gone.

Of course, he also wouldn't have had his coach singing his praises all of the time, so maybe he wouldn't have gotten such a big head.

Curtis Martin, Asanthe Samuel, Deion Branch and so on...

Yup. The Jets created that monster by being pushovers. Revis, and pretty much any other player in his situation, now know that they can play the Jets front office like a used guitar.

Belichick thinks long term - he's not opposed to a reasonable settlement, but he's not going to let the inmates run the asylum like Wrecks and Woody do.

Yup. The Jets created that monster by being pushovers. Revis, and pretty much any other player in his situation, now know that they can play the Jets front office like a used guitar.

Belichick thinks long term - he's not opposed to a reasonable settlement, but he's not going to let the inmates run the asylum like Wrecks and Woody do.

Yeah, I'm just thinking would there have been anyway the Pats could have dealt with Revis better, or would he have been so good it would have been a no-brainer to ship him out given his position?

As soon as he became a detriment to the team, he would have been gone.

Of course, he also wouldn't have had his coach singing his praises all of the time, so maybe he wouldn't have gotten such a big head.

Depends.
Seymour held out and ended up getting paid.

Samuel never held out.

Branch held out but a #1 pick was much more valuable than Branch was so he got shipped

Depends.
Seymour held out and ended up getting paid.

Samuel never held out.

Branch held out but a #1 pick was much more valuable than Branch was so he got shipped

But none of them ever came close to being on the level of Revis... my whole point was how BB would have dealt with a HoF talent at the CB position, assuming he drafted him in his current regime and Revis had his reputable demands? How would BB handle this in the best interests of the Patriots?

Start from drafting him to finish, assuming he's worth all of his value and acts the same he has with the Jets as he would with the Pats.

Some salary cap and draftniks chiming in would be fun.

If the Pats drafted Revis, he probably would be out of the league by now.

But none of them ever came close to being on the level of Revis... my whole point was how BB would have dealt with a HoF talent at the CB position, assuming he drafted him in his current regime and Revis had his reputable demands? How would BB handle this in the best interests of the Patriots?

Start from drafting him to finish, assuming he's worth all of his value and acts the same he has with the Jets as he would with the Pats.

Some salary cap and draftniks chiming in would be fun.

did you just say that Richard Seymour doesnt compare to Revis?

Ummm... yeah?

I thought this would be an interesting thought exercise comparing the Jets to the Pats FO when dealing with Revis.

Well, he certainly wouldn't have gotten to manhandle the hell out of receivers and be completely above the DB rules here in New England.

Honestly, he's a great corner - but the best thing he ever did for his career was in the offseason, when he made a catchy commercial and declared he was the best corner in the league capable of stopping any receiver. I've never seen a guy's reputation improve more in one offseason. The refs seemed to afford him more leeway because of his status and the presumption of his talent level. There's no way that would've worked in NE where ever since the Polian crap and the emphasis on DB contact, NE corners have been called for PI unfairly more than anybody.

So, he'd probably just be an above average CB.

If the Pats drafted Revis, he probably would be out of the league by now.

LOL -- Agree -- I feel like McCourty and Revis had similar first years -- both were really good but not great. Then they had the opposite second years.

Ummm... yeah?

I thought this would be an interesting thought exercise comparing the Jets to the Pats FO when dealing with Revis.

Seymour is the closest comparison you'll get.
He held out in the final year of his contract and he wanted a multi year extension.
They didnt want to give it to him but gave him a few extra million in that final year to get him to come to camp -- and it was good enough for him.
The next offseason, he got a very nice multi year contract.
Then a couple years after that he traded for a first as they decidd they couldn't sign him and wilfork. Had wilfork not been on the team, maybe Seymour would still be on the team.

With Revis, the Jets had even more leverage as he still had 2 years (i think) left on his contract. The pats probably would've been tougher with him, and let him hold out (like mankins) and then revis would've showed up in week 10 (since he would've wanted the year's service) and that would've been fine with me as I really only care about the player performing well in the playoffs, not in weeks 1-9.
And then the same exact scenario would've likely repeated the following year, or the Pats might've done what they did with Seymour

Remember that time Moss burnt Revis and caught a one handed deep ball like "oh, here's a football" and Revis "hurt" his Hamstring?

I jumped out of my chair that moment that Moss took that kid to school.

I don't think I really care how the contract issues would have turned out because had we had Revis in 07 we go 19-0.

I think an interesting part of this would be how could we have gotten up to 13 to get him?

Clearly it would have started with our number one that would have been Meriweather obviously we would have all done that. But what else would it have taken? We didn't have a two used it on Wes, our 3 was traded to the raiders (for a 2008 3rd which was traded for a 2009 2nd and swapped a few spots eventually turning into Brace if my tracking was correct), we had 2 4s but one was used on Moss the other we used to take Kareem Brown (who we would all give up no problem).

I think we can start with the 1 and the 3 (traded and eventually turned into Brace) as we would all be OK with Revis for Brace and Merriweather. but the value still doesnt line up for a trade that high. So we likely would have needed to include an 08 pick which would have either been the Saints pick that we took Mayo with or the one the NFL took from us leaving them to penalize us differently like they did the saints who were missing their one or if the 08 pick was as low as 2 it would have meant no Wheatly.

PS: to Answer the actual OPs question I think we would have enjoyed 3 or 4 seasons of him and traded him for a first round pick.

Maybe I'm missing something but these ARE two different situations. Seymour got his payday but had to pay the price of going to the Raiders. The Pats also got decent compensation for him.

Revis previously was able to extort a lucrative extension with his own team. Mankins might be a closer comparison since he managed to stay with the Patriots, but even that is different.

Now Revis will likely be demanding another extension, and as far as trade value, with a rebuilt ACL the Jets may not get top value - not to mention the fact that Revis has a history of having a hissy fit if he doesn't get the extension he wants.

The Jets have created an environment where players like Revis can dictate front office moves - and it pays off for them. In the case of the Patriots, for the most part players know they can hold out (and I don't blame them when they are seriously underpaid) but they often wind up being shipped out of town.

I think they all know playing that game of chicken with Belichick can be dangerous.

he would have been gone after a few years when asking for more $$. Whiny ***** that only cares about $$

Maybe I'm missing something but these ARE two different situations. Seymour got his payday but had to pay the price of going to the Raiders. The Pats also got decent compensation for him.

Yes you're missing something (that he held out, got paid for it, then got a nice contract after, and then got traded later)

2005:
Entering the final year of his rookie contract, Seymour held out of the 2005 offseason minicamps and missed the first four days of training camp in hopes of securing a new contract. While the Patriots did not fulfill Seymour's request, they did give him a pay raise for the 2005 season in order to end his holdout

2006:
Seymour signed a three-year, $30 million contract extension through the 2009 season

2009:
the Patriots traded Seymour, who was entering the final year of his contract, to the Oakland Raiders for a first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft

source:
Richard Seymour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents