PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Bengals and Colts lose would you showcase Mallett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give him a quarter, maybe a little more than that.

And his total lack of mobility against that BUF defense would not go well.

No. This team is still forming.

no! i want brady to throw 350 yards 3 tds so his season number is 27/10 and bump his qb rating to 90!!!
:mad:

Brady doesn't care about that kind of stat. The one he cares about are w's and w's in the playoff win/Super Bowl column.

Brady doesn't care about that kind of stat. The one he cares about are w's and w's in the playoff win/Super Bowl column.

Yup. Brady & Belichick are on the same page regarding stats. The only thing they are interested in is having more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game than the opponent.

First: Do your job.

Second: Win the division.

Do both and good things usually follow. :cool:

Yup. Brady & Belichick are on the same page regarding stats. The only thing they are interested in is having more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game than the opponent.

First: Do your job.

Second: Win the division.

Do both and good things usually follow. :cool:

Honestly, I see this game as one where they put forth there very best. They will need to find the imperfections and perfect them. We have to play our best football now and in the playoffs if we want that Lombardi.

Nothing like throwing in your back up QB with no first-team practice reps to "showcase his trade value".

:bricks:

Mallett has taken plenty of first team reps during practice in his 3 seasons here. That is not an issue. They would prepare him if it was a possibility.

First of all we are not beating the bills with mallet. So this is not an option. Secondly, its important to have the momentum after the win in baltimore and not lay an egg. So play who is healthy is what they should do.

when is the last time bb has done anything like this?

when is the last time bb has done anything like this?

Matt Cassel, Week 17 of 2005, against Miami. It just wasn't for trade purposes.

No, you don't showcase Mallett.

Yes, you rest Brady once the game is out of hand or the seedings have been decided.

The result is the same. The intent is completely different.

no.........get the bye...then rest

We now play at 4:25PM so we would know the outcome of those games, if they both lose would you showcase Mallett and try to drive up any potential trade value for him?

#1. We can't get any trade value for him because he really can't be traded, unless Cassel or Hoyer are back in play as a backup somehow again. Those are about the only 2 guys who could come in right off the bat.

It normally takes at least a full year to become a backup in our system, and we did not address this issue this season for 2014--therefore we'll likely be forced to ride Mallett out with no other choice. Since Mallett is a free agent at the end of 2014, we will also be forced to bring in a developmental QB this season for 2015. Whether that's an actual draft pick (less likely in my opinion), a journeyman backup, or an UDFA or lower round pick that we could stash on the practice squad remains to be seen.

Besides, no one is giving us anything close to what it would take to pique Belichick's interest anyway. Any suitors would be able to wait one more season and get him for ZERO compensation. Who the hell is going to give up a 2nd/3rd round pick in his last year of the contract, with absolutely no proven NFL experience, tape, etc to go on? Any offers would be a 4th/5th at best, and that makes no sense in not having our backup QB spot secure for next season (2014). Had we developed or brought someone else in this past summer who could be learning the playbook and all of the nuances that go into running our kind of complex offense, it'd be a different ballgame.

#2. If CIN/IND both lost (pretty unlikely in my opinion), we'd still have to play our best at 4:25 since DEN plays the later game too, as we'd still have a chance at the #1 seed.

If the rookies haven't lost so many games I would be ok with that but the offense still need to build chemistry.

And I don't think it will be an easy game.

I think people around here are overrating Mallett. It's not like it's 1992 and they are playing Steve Young and have Joe Montana on the block.He hasn't done anything and has AT BEST mid-round value- which is ok. It's not like Cassell who played an entire year and proved he could be a starting QB in the NFL.

So lets assume the Colts and Bengals have both lost...

The 1st priority is to get the #1 seed. Hosting the AFCCG in Foxboro is the goal. No one wants to go to Denver. I sure as heck dont.

With that said, IMO you play Brady and the starters until the opportunity to host the AFCCG is lost.

No, for several reasons. First and foremost, the offense is not in sync enough right now. Another 60 minutes of snaps with Brady stands to do more harm than good, even with the risk of injury. Dobson, Thompkins, Vereen, whatever line configuration we go with, and even Amendola - Edelman's probably the only guy who's 'locked in' in the passing game right now.

Also, the #1 seed will still be in play as of kickoff. It would be a shock to see Oakland beat Denver, but it is a divisional game. Crazier things have happened.

I don't see New England entertaining a trade for Mallett unless they A.) Have someone at least as good and versed in the playbook already aboard, and B.) Get some VERY high value for him.

As it stands just now, Mallett is Brady's only back up. After him, we'd have to fall back on Edelman as an emergency situation, and I just can't see that happening. I suspect that Mallett will be in New England for at least 1 more year, while they can get a replacement up to speed.

Exactly.

If Mallet walks for $$$, we get a 3rd comp pick for him. Why toss in the towel on a possible ONE seed and HFA throughout in the hopes that Mallet doesn't piss away his showcase and that MAYBE some GM goes all Lady Gaga over him offering us an unlikely high draft pick, leaving us with nobody who has any experience whatsoever in the Patriots system for the critical 2014 season? Stop the insanity!

2014 should be gold for us with a solid draft and please the football gods less Pats Pro Bowl starters on IR.

The one seed is on the line. Rest those that have been harboring nagging injuries. Do not rest Brady until/unless the Pats pad a comfortable lead.

Football players play football.
The best way to be prepared for the playoffs is to play through the end of the season like it matters.
The evidence of this is overwhelming.

#1. We can't get any trade value for him because he really can't be traded, unless Cassel or Hoyer are back in play as a backup somehow again. Those are about the only 2 guys who could come in right off the bat.

It normally takes at least a full year to become a backup in our system, and we did not address this issue this season for 2014--therefore we'll likely be forced to ride Mallett out with no other choice. Since Mallett is a free agent at the end of 2014, we will also be forced to bring in a developmental QB this season for 2015. Whether that's an actual draft pick (less likely in my opinion), a journeyman backup, or an UDFA or lower round pick that we could stash on the practice squad remains to be seen.

I agree with what you’re saying but they will either trade Mallett this offseason or likely have him walk with no compensation in 2015 taking that into consideration if they could get a third round draft pick or higher for him I cannot see them saying no unless they’re intent is to retain him as a free agent and feel that is feasible. I do think a third round pick or higher is highly unlikely but if he went out and had a great game who knows maybe a team like the Browns who have two picks in the first, one in the second, two in the third and two in fourth of the 2014 NFL draft would be willing to part with a pick for Mallett.

Brady Quinn spent time with McDaniels in Denver and Kellen Clemens spent time with McDaniels in St Louis both of them are an UFA after the season.

There are also some veteran backups with experience as starters who will be on the market:

• Josh Freeman
• Charlie Whitehurst
• Rex Grossman
• Josh McCown
• Luke McCown
• Derek Anderson
• Seneca Wallace
• Jimmy Clausen
• Matt Flynn
• Trent Edwards

I would not be surprised to see Tebow signed to a futures contract come January either and if they feel he can fill the backup role he could be an option, in my opinion that would be a bad idea but still an option.

#2. If CIN/IND both lost (pretty unlikely in my opinion), we'd still have to play our best at 4:25 since DEN plays the later game too, as we'd still have a chance at the #1 seed.

Admittedly I overlooked the #1 seed possibility when I wrote my OP and that eliminates the likelihood of Mallett being showcased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore