PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If BB is a defensive mastermind, why...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to have the right personnel to run that defense. Only the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers have the personnel to run a defense like that. If it was as easy as just running the blitzes every team would be amazing on defense. The patriots right now do not have the personnel to run that attack/ blitz 30 times a game defense. The jets great secondary allows the blitz to be successful, as shown by Brady's completion percentage. The blitzers know that the secondary has their back so there is no reservations about going all out after the QB.

The Jets defense is essentially the same defense as the one Cassel tore up in the second half of the second Jets' game last year. Granted they now have Leonard and Scott who are good players, but not even close to difference makers. Main difference is that Mangini ran a read and react 3-4 similar to what we run. Ryan took the aggressive defense he ran in B-more and is now implementing it in NY and they look really good.

We did run some pressure packages yesterday and we got some good pressure. We just don't do it often enough and seems like when we don't run it, the other team takes advantage of us.

Also, I don't know if you guys noticed but there was a short period in the second half that the Jets played zone a couple of times and just rushed 4 and Brady was able to hit Edelman and then Watson. Then they put the pressure back on and we ended up having to punt.

I admired Rex going for broke on the Pats last drive and kept the pressure on and didn't play prevent. Too many times you see teams playing "not to lose" and end up losing. I hate the friggin Jets and it irks me that they now have a legit team.

I'm reading your signature and experiencing some major problems reconciling the this thread with this quote.

In any event, I think BB believes more in situation based aggressiveness rather than aggression throughout the game. Why? Because it takes a lot out of a team to be continually aggressive and can create opportunities for the offense, wither through mismatches or guys being open on the blitz. And what happens when you play a team that picks up the blitz well? It's game over. You don't want to be one-dimensional.

LOL. I'm a huge BB fan. And a believer. And a seasontick holder, tailgater etc. I am genuinely asking why we havent adopted a Rex Ryan type system in the moderm pass happy age of football. I am SURE BB has thought about it, and has decided to stick with bend-but-dont-break. Thought it was an interesting question.

-- FRITZ

after the jets went up a TD ..there was about 9 mins of football left i think...the defense held them to a shut out to give an offense a chance but the offense failed.the D had one bad stretch of 20 odd minutes where it gave up 13 pts .cant ask for anything more without mayo and an injured merriweather and brand new players.

*belch* Our scheme and coaching is not the problem. Our personnel is. Why do you think we made the transition to a 4-3 this year despite the 3-4 being BB's favorite defense? Linebackers. On top of that, and I do really hate to beat a dead horse here, but the Seymour trade hurt us a lot more than people are willing to admit. Runs and screens that used to get shut down on that side of the defense are now wide open. On top of that, the line - which used to get a solid push off of the ball last season - is barely getting ANY push whatsoever. If we had played two solid O-Lines, like the Jets, two weeks in a row and had this happen, I would point to that as the culprit. However, we played a makeshift line in Week 1 and still had trouble generating pressure with a four man rush.

As for a defense like Ryan's... that kamikaze blitzing style attack will eventually kill the Jets when they go up against an offensive line that can do an outstanding job protecting the quarterback... such as Denver's O-Line. Our scheme has been very successful in the past, but we don't have the players to run it this year. That's why I was confused myself about why we didn't blitz Sanchez more often on Sunday until it was too late.

Wright, Green, Guyton, McGowan, Springs, Bodden

Those are six of the eleven starters from the game. None of these six were starters last year. I haven't counted, but Wilhite has started probably fewer than 10 games. This is Meriweather's second year as a starter. In 2002, the Patriots crushed the Jets in the second game of the season, something like 44-7. By the end of the year, the Jets were the better team. It's a little early to start the high-dive contest on the Tobin Bridge.

You need to have the right personnel to run that defense. Only the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers have the personnel to run a defense like that. If it was as easy as just running the blitzes every team would be amazing on defense. The patriots right now do not have the personnel to run that attack/ blitz 30 times a game defense. The jets great secondary allows the blitz to be successful, as shown by Brady's completion percentage. The blitzers know that the secondary has their back so there is no reservations about going all out after the QB.

Shrekk,

First, congratulations on a great game. The better team won yesterday, and your defense deserves all the credit in the world for shutting us down, especially in the second half.

However, I don't agree with your statement that only the Jets, Ravens and Steelers have the personnel to run their kind of attacking defense. True, having a shutdown CB like Revis is a huge advantage, but the Steelers and Ravens secondaries are not the strength of either team. Ed Reed helps a lot, but Baltimore's CBs are extremely average and their overall secondary is no better than the Pats this year. Pittsburgh's CBs are adequate, but not exceptional by any means. Last year we clearly did not have the personnel to attack, but this year I think we have more than enough talent. It's more a question of the defensive coaching staff changing their mentality and being willing to let the dogs loose. Credit to your coaching staff for instilling this mentality in your defensive corps, which was no where as aggressive last year with many of the same players.

Wright, Green, Guyton, McGowan, Springs, Bodden

Those are six of the eleven starters from the game. None of these six were starters last year. I haven't counted, but Wilhite has started probably fewer than 10 games. This is Meriweather's second year as a starter. In 2002, the Patriots crushed the Jets in the second game of the season, something like 44-7. By the end of the year, the Jets were the better team. It's a little early to start the high-dive contest on the Tobin Bridge.

To be fair, the Patriots started yesterday in their "Big Nickel" package. Green and Wright have both been starters previously and have seen playing time.

But, as you said, the season is just starting.

The Jets defense is essentially the same defense as the one Cassel tore up in the second half of the second Jets' game last year. Granted they now have Leonard and Scott who are good players, but not even close to difference makers. Main difference is that Mangini ran a read and react 3-4 similar to what we run. Ryan took the aggressive defense he ran in B-more and is now implementing it in NY and they look really good.

Id disagree here, we have 5 new starters on defense this year, and a dramatic change in defensive philosophy. Last year i can probably count on one hand how many times we blitzed. The jets defensive strategy last year was all about Jenkins. clog the middle, lets the LBs stay a few yards behind the d line and stop the end around runs, and that worked when the jets had the #3 ranked run defense in the league. That is until you guys exposed our weakness in the second meeting. our weakness was our secondary, with a run defense oriented team, we left our DBs out to dry, Revis was the one lifesaver, but even he was used ineffectively. Rhodes was used the worst though, he is a phsyical safety who can blitz, and Mangini never let him do a single thing besides sitting back on every single play. and we got burned by Cassel, burned by cutler etc.

I think the patriots defense is the least cause of concern right now, you guys had us at 11 min of possession in the first half thats amazing. only thing was that the reverse happened the next half and we evened out to have about 30 min each.

looks like you guys struck gold with eddleman (sp?) looks like wes welker jr out there.

Id disagree here, we have 5 new starters on defense this year, and a dramatic change in defensive philosophy. Last year i can probably count on one hand how many times we blitzed. The jets defensive strategy last year was all about Jenkins. clog the middle, lets the LBs stay a few yards behind the d line and stop the end around runs, and that worked when the jets had the #3 ranked run defense in the league. That is until you guys exposed our weakness in the second meeting. our weakness was our secondary, with a run defense oriented team, we left our DBs out to dry, Revis was the one lifesaver, but even he was used ineffectively. Rhodes was used the worst though, he is a phsyical safety who can blitz, and Mangini never let him do a single thing besides sitting back on every single play. and we got burned by Cassel, burned by cutler etc.

I think the patriots defense is the least cause of concern right now, you guys had us at 11 min of possession in the first half thats amazing. only thing was that the reverse happened the next half and we evened out to have about 30 min each.

looks like you guys struck gold with eddleman (sp?) looks like wes welker jr out there.

Some of those statements sound eerily familiar. As I said earlier, it's a change in philosophy every bit as much as a change in personnel - or, as you put it, it's about using your personnel effectively. Sure, you need some people to make it work. But you had Revis, Rhodes, Harris and Jenkins last year. Bart Scott is really the major new addition on defense. Some of your "starters" are placeholders until Ellis and Pace come back from suspension. Our secondary sucked last year, but now we have more than enough talent in the defensive backfield to let loose a bit. Meriweather showed last year that he has a nice ability to time his blitzes and can be an attacking force.

Our defense didn't lose the game on Sunday. Your defense won the game on Sunday. Which would you rather have, a defense that doesn't lose games, or one that wins them? I know my preference, and your team has it right now. Kudos to your coaching staff for having the guts to implement it, and for doing such a good job of getting the defense up to speed so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back