PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss has been known to coast on his speed/athleticism, not efforting his route-running so much, but I've not heard that Stallworth was a poor route-runner. Could this just be an assumption, just because we're used to seeing him run fly-routes and other deep patterns?

Ken, this was a weird section of your post. I don't know that anyone should have this depth of concern about our WR corps. We're going to be MUCH better at receiver next year. Moss and Stallworth are going to make this offense significantly more potent. Worrying about the wideouts seems like unnecessary busywork.

Is what it is???? Its not what I want. I'm not happy about this...
I'm not into the Mossterbation, I never liked him and this signing does nothing to excite me (other then grumping about using #110 to get him since I did want one of several LBs at that slot). BB wanted him, In BB I Trust so it is what it is because I sure as heck can't change it, if I could Pony Express would be all grumpy. :D

No one is perfect, but it is reasonable to question this. This is a young guy who spent ONE year as an NFL coach.....and then LEFT to go back to personel. How come. Did he not have a knack for it? Were the hours too much for his family? Hey this guy is probably a great judge of personel, BUT CAN HE COACH??? Can he command respect from guys who have all been in the league a while? What can he offer a guy like Moss?
Reportedly meth users suffer greater paranoia then the standard population...this man left to become an Area Scout on a team that prides itself on it's Scouting Staff. He then is tagged to become the Director of Pro Personnel...can we say fast track boys and girls? This is not some mousy personnel man taking resumes, he got stashed by BB for exactly this kind of situation. Let's face it, if he is the guy BB taps to fill in for Ivan Fears when Cory Dillon is part of the team, he has already shown he can work with Hall Of Fame grade talent and succeed. Think about young Matt Patricia taking over LBs under first year (for the Pats) DC Dean Pees, he's coaching Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin...BB knows what he wants in a coach, never fear that Caserio is going to do just fine with the prima donna posse. I hope you're not projecting coach...;)

Is what it is???? Its not what I want. Maybe BB is satisfied, but I wouldn't. You would think Randy would start to answer any questions about his commitment by coming here and acting more like Stallworth and Welker, than Terrell Owen.

The Patriots approved his work-out regimen and were satisfied enough to agree to let him continue to work out in Florida. Its pretty erroneous of you to claim he's acting like T.O. when T.O. didn't bother to ASK if he could stay. T.O. TOLD the team what he was going to do. And, honestly, these sort of comments are surprising coming from someone who is usually level-headed like yourself, PFK.

That fact is that Moss is a luxury for us. He needs US morethan we need HIM. It was always one of MY conditions to his coming here. Doing the Pats conditioning program and working with Brady. More and more QBs are throwing to spots on the field. They are not waiting to see who's open or not. THAT was part of the problem at the begining of the year with our WRs. IF the QB throws the ball expecting a break at 12yds and the WR makes his break at 13, his back will be to the ball when it arrives. This isn't about TRYING, its about communications and feel. IT IS WHAT MADE the Brady/Branch connection work so well. THAT TAKES TIME and WORK.

I'm not happy about this...

No one is perfect, but it is reasonable to question this. This is a young guy who spent ONE year as an NFL coach.....and then LEFT to go back to personel. How come. Did he not have a knack for it? Were the hours too much for his family? Hey this guy is probably a great judge of personel, BUT CAN HE COACH??? Can he command respect from guys who have all been in the league a while? What can he offer a guy like Moss?

Would you stop before you hurt yourself PFK? YES, he CAN COACH. What you don't seem to understand is that the Personnel job was a PROMOTION. One that he gladly took. Also, you are acting like Caserio hasn't been invloved with the on the field stuff at ALL. That is the farthest thing from the truth. He's always been very involved. As Box said, Caserio took over for Ivan Fears when Fears was absent. Caserio has, on plenty of occasions, been seen helping the coaches during training camps. And by helping, I mean out there doing coaching himself.

Why couldn't Caserio command respect from the veterans? What can he offer guys like Moss? How about some of the best film breakdowns available? How about great scouting reports? Like any NEW coach (new salesman/new consultant) Caserio will have to work to win the players over. But, he's already got a head start with the veterans who've been on the Pats for awhile. And that is where the respect of the other players will come from as well.

No, I don't see this as a critical situation, though I think BB will be hanging more with the offense and WRs this TC, and I'm not sure I like that as much. BB is the best teacher on the staff, and having him concentrate in one area, is taking away from another.

I'm not into the Mossterbation, I never liked him and this signing does nothing to excite me (other then grumping about using #110 to get him since I did want one of several LBs at that slot). BB wanted him, In BB I Trust so it is what it is because I sure as heck can't change it, if I could Pony Express would be all grumpy. :D

I think the Borges article hit a cord with me. I know that there were axes to grind by Walsh and Shell, but not for the KC guy and Marty. Its almost like we are left with a choice between a guy who has lost the ablility to compete at a high level consistantly, or a guy who just quit on his team, because it was a bad situation. Neither is a pleasant option.

It would have been more palatable hoping for the latter, IF he had shown the EXTRA effort to be here this spring...like Stallworth and Welker have. I'm also sure that I care a lot more about this than BB does, so that makes me feel a bit better. I guess all I can do is wait for the June minicampa to see how he will fit.

Reportedly meth users suffer greater paranoia then the standard population...this man left to become an Area Scout on a team that prides itself on it's Scouting Staff. He then is tagged to become the Director of Pro Personnel...can we say fast track boys and girls? This is not some mousy personnel man taking resumes, he got stashed by BB for exactly this kind of situation. Let's face it, if he is the guy BB taps to fill in for Ivan Fears when Cory Dillon is part of the team, he has already shown he can work with Hall Of Fame grade talent and succeed. Think about young Matt Patricia taking over LBs under first year (for the Pats) DC Dean Pees, he's coaching Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin...BB knows what he wants in a coach, never fear that Caserio is going to do just fine with the prima donna posse. I hope you're not projecting coach...;)

You are probably right that I am reading way to much into this. I would feel better if I knew why he left the on field coaching side to move BACK into personel. I certainly DON'T question his personel skill (unless he's the guy who led the charge for Guss Scott, and Dexter Reid ;) ). I'm just wondering why he left in the first place, and what made him leave being the director of personel, to be "merely" a position coach. You know the story BEHIND the story.

Anyways, to my way of thinking, Brian Diaboll chose a bad time to further his potential of being an OC some time soon.

The Patriots approved his work-out regimen and were satisfied enough to agree to let him continue to work out in Florida. Its pretty erroneous of you to claim he's acting like T.O. when T.O. didn't bother to ASK if he could stay. T.O. TOLD the team what he was going to do. And, honestly, these sort of comments are surprising coming from someone who is usually level-headed like yourself, PFK.

I agree the reference to TO was uncalled for, but it was late and I was searching for image, and took the low road, and easy way out. Like I said to Box, I'm sure I feel a lot more strongly about this than BB. Given the questions that will inevidently keep surfacing from Borges article, it would have been more comforting to have him around QUELLING questions, rather than creating them by his absence.

Would you stop before you hurt yourself PFK? YES, he CAN COACH. What you don't seem to understand is that the Personnel job was a PROMOTION.

I don't question his personel work, and does this mean that going from DIrector of Personel, to his job as a mere position coach was a...demotion. Maybe he WAS the guy who got us to draft Guss Scott and Dexter Reid. ;)

One that he gladly took. Also, you are acting like Caserio hasn't been invloved with the on the field stuff at ALL. That is the farthest thing from the truth. He's always been very involved. As Box said, Caserio took over for Ivan Fears when Fears was absent. Caserio has, on plenty of occasions, been seen helping the coaches during training camps. And by helping, I mean out there doing coaching himself.

No where in any of the bios is there a mention of him coaching WRs. Ivan Fears is the RBs coach, and if he took over the RBs, I would fee better, but he is taking over the WIDE RECEIVERS, and his only experience there was that he once threw to WRs when he was in college.

I understand its no big deal in the great scheme of things, but IT IS a legitimate question to be asking.

Why couldn't Caserio command respect from the veterans? What can he offer guys like Moss? How about some of the best film breakdowns available? How about great scouting reports? Like any NEW coach (new salesman/new consultant) Caserio will have to work to win the players over. But, he's already got a head start with the veterans who've been on the Pats for awhile. And that is where the respect of the other players will come from as well.

Your lips to God's ear, my man. With BB behind it all, I'm sure they will show him surface respect from the get go, and it will ultimately be HIS job to earn it for real over time (as it is for ANY coach, at any level)

I don't question his personel work, and does this mean that going from DIrector of Personel, to his job as a mere position coach was a...demotion. Maybe he WAS the guy who got us to draft Guss Scott and Dexter Reid. ;)

Guss Scott couldn't stay healthy, yet didn't have injury issues in college. Dexter Reid couldn't stay disciplined.

Remember that BB has the final say on who gets drafted, though it is input from the entire department that decides the pick.

No where in any of the bios is there a mention of him coaching WRs. Ivan Fears is the RBs coach, and if he took over the RBs, I would fee better, but he is taking over the WIDE RECEIVERS, and his only experience there was that he once threw to WRs when he was in college.

No where in his bios does it mention that he was out there during the training camps other than the one time he filled in for Fears, yet he was there. There have been plenty of articles on it.

Also, when BB was just a special teams coach, how did they know he'd transfer over to be a good defensive coordinator? How did they know that Brad Seeley would make a good special teams coach? Come on. Obviously BB wouldn't put Caserio in the position if BB didn't beleive he could handle it. Also, why is it that you ignore the film break downs when scouting other teams? That is a HUGE point you ignore. Being able to to the breakdowns of the entire opposing offense shows some aptitude. And BB obviously feels that the job that Caserio did with the RBs while Fears was out showed enough in terms of being able to relate information to the players to make him feel comfortable.

Also, you really shouldn't ignore the playing time at QB that Caserio had. If Brady can show receivers how to properly run routes, why can't Caserio, who has plenty of knowledge as well?

I understand its no big deal in the great scheme of things, but IT IS a legitimate question to be asking.

Your lips to God's ear, my man. With BB behind it all, I'm sure they will show him surface respect from the get go, and it will ultimately be HIS job to earn it for real over time (as it is for ANY coach, at any level)

Honestly, I think that its not a legitimate question. I think its a question of someone who is being nit-picky because he can't find anything else to complain about.....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes