PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - Step one - check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the expectation is for CB2? The game plan was to eliminate Kelce (check), stay in the 4-2-5 vice a run-oriented base defense (check), keep Smith in the pocket (semi-check) and go 1 on 1 on the WRs. In that scenario, 1-on-1, the CBs are going to give up catches - especially when Smith had often 3-5 seconds to throw (which means if he didn't get rid of it quickly - the CBs actually had good coverage on reads 1 and 2).

Against a non-mobile QB - yesterday's coverage would have led to a few sacks and as it was Smith had to squeeze the ball into some tight spaces and Avant had to make not one but at least three spectacular catches.

I swear the expectations are that all Pats CBs hold WRs to 1-9 catches for 8 yards. That NFL just does not exist (nor did it ever frankly).

Lastly, most of the year Ryan's had the benefit of help - the last few games - he hasn't. That makes a huge perception difference to the fans on how he's playing as well. Now that McCourty is nearer to 100% - and against likely D. Thomas next week we'll probably witness a return to that type game plan where Ryan can thrive.

Logan Ryan has certainly been in something of a slump. I'm not sure how anyone could deny it?

Logan Ryan has certainly been in something of a slump. I'm not sure how anyone could deny it?

The original question was one of expectations. Has Logan Ryan ever been a cornerback that the fan base here has felt was amongst the top tier? I think not. He's has benefitted particularly by the scheme this year, and the play of Chung and Butler, wherein he could almost always rely upon help from the safeties and a much more effective pass rush than a typical Patriots team.

Those two back half players most times played more single coverage (with exceptions of course) than Ryan. Therefore the collective 'we' were presented a meme of a level of play by Ryan that covered up the same shortcomings most here have been posting about since his initial drafting.

So, actually I don't think he's been in a slump, but instead in more of a return to the norm after a run of some improvement (mostly of scheme, but perhaps some of the player himself) earlier in the year.

A difference of perception? Perhaps, however I think the vast majority of data on his play over his entire career supports more that his vast improvement was in fact the aberration vice the average CB play he's demonstrated recently.

The original question was one of expectations. Has Logan Ryan ever been a cornerback that the fan base here has felt was amongst the top tier? I think not. He's has benefitted particularly by the scheme this year, and the play of Chung and Butler, wherein he could almost always rely upon help from the safeties and a much more effective pass rush than a typical Patriots team.

Those two back half players most times played more single coverage (with exceptions of course) than Ryan. Therefore the collective 'we' were presented a meme of a level of play by Ryan that covered up the same shortcomings most here have been posting about since his initial drafting.

So, actually I don't think he's been in a slump, but instead in more of a return to the norm after a run of some improvement (mostly of scheme, but perhaps some of the player himself) earlier in the year.

A difference of perception? Perhaps, however I think the vast majority of data on his play over his entire career supports more that his vast improvement was in fact the aberration vice the average CB play he's demonstrated recently.

Fully agree. Thanks for wording it more eloquently than I was able to in other threads.

Ryan is somewhere between what we saw yesterday where Avant - sometimes miraculously - caught everything on him and what we saw against Denver where he shut down Thomas and everything went his way with some drops and good PBUs.

And thats fine for a CB2.

I am worried they are going to suspend Amendola because:

1. He's a Patriot.
2. I'm a worrier, I'm literally sitting here shaking with anxiety for next weeks title game, I don't even know who the opponent is.
I think you need to find a new hobby. How about bird watching?

I was at the game today, Ken and your post is the first one I've responded to since I got home. Perhaps this is because you are a real Patriots FAN like there used to be here in good numbers until the scary mary chicken littles infested this board with their constant negativity,idiotic criticisms and whiny, egotistical "insights".

It was a great game to watch and even better to see the team play cohesively with good tempo and energy. You certainly see a lot and expound on these things extremely well. I appreciate it. Sometimes I think I'M going crazy when I read the avalanche of despair that passes for fandom on this board these days.
Absolutely. If being a fan of a team fills you with such despair or lack of sphincter control why not find a better way to spend your time? It seems like patsfans.com is becoming an outlet for the psychopathically despondent people that Boston Sports Talk creates en masse.

Alex Smith is a darn good QB but either he is not smart enough to run a hurry-up offense or Reid is just that bad at clock management.
I think it's both. Everything I read says Smith is really smart but on the field it seems he just doesn't handle hurry-up very well so it wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff doesn't want to rush him. Also I think Reid himself just doesn't do up-tempo without stressing out too much and/or making stupid mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3