PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - post game edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I sat down this morning to write a pre-game post like I usually do. However the longer I sat in front of my key board the more I became convinced that "I got nothing",... and went out for a walk and wait for the game.

I mean what was I going to post about? Another Welker/Amendola commentary? There has already been 2 threads on that topic this past week and I assume they'll be 2 more after the Bronco's play on Monday. There was no need to talk about the WR's or BB's draft acumen. My only option was to make some provocative comments that would entice those self appointed mavens of what's the "truth" and what's a "homerism", but that's getting REALLY tiresome. Since having a reasonable discussion on several of the "usual" issues has become increasingly fruitless

So, I waited for the game to end and offer some observations (for what its worth)

1. The passing game was better. Not great or even good, but Better. To ask for anything more than that would be unreasonable. All I look for at this point of the season is visible improvement. I was just hoping the WR play would improve enough to keep the "chicken littles" from slashing their wrists. I got my wish.

2. I'm still not a Lagarrett Blount fan. Up until his big run, he ran soft and ineffectively. He never fell forward or pushed the pile, like you would expect a big RB to do. Actually I was less impressed with his big run than the 2 he had AFTER the big gain. In those 2 runs (IIRC they were for about 8yds and 5yds,) he showed me the kind of power and pile pushing I was hoping we'd get.

So now I'm of the opinion that he CAN fill the role of a true power back, he just refuses to do it. IMHO he is always trying to make the big run at the expense of of taking what's there and add2-3 yds on his own. He rushed the ball 14 times. I'd be surprised if he fell forward in more than 4 of them.

3. Boldin on the other hand was a positive addition. Our Junior BJGE did as he always has, which is get positive yardage and push the pile. He also showed a nice pair of hands, though he ran right past his blockers on that screen. That nice gain could have gotten us more.

4. Brady is going to be pleased and pissed when he looks at this film. Not only did he miss a a wide open Dobson in the endzone (yes I know there was pressureO,, but there was no one within 10 yds of Dobson. He missed an open Edelman on the 3 yd line when he threw into double coverage on the Pick. He also missed Edelman and someone else deep

5. There is a pass route I'd love to see the Pats use more often. Its a an in and go by the slot receiver. Its the one that Edelman was so wide open on. I recall Welker making some long gains on this route last season.

Its so effective because the Pats throw that under route so often to the slot man, that the Safety will almost always bite. Julian ran a nice route and right by him, and was open by 10 yds when Brady over threw another open player

6. I don't think Brady is very accurate on his deep balls, but I'd still like to see them do it more often with this group of WR's Just like I'd like to see more of that "in and go", I'd like to see some kind of down the field throw off the bubble screen look. Teams are getting better at reacting to those quick screens, and I'd like to see the Pats do something off that play.

7. That's a VERY good Buc's secondary and the Pats seemed to have more more open WR's than against the Jets. In fact, as so many others have mentioned that this was a very good Defense, and after the first 3 series, the Pats moved the ball fairly consistently.

8. I was concerned when Volmer went out of the game with a hanemd injury (or so they said). I became less concerned when I saw him sitting with the rest of the OL When they showed Dante lecturing toward the end of the game.

9.Nice to see the running game get back on tracl. It will get even better when Gronk returns to full health (which I think will be game 8). Boldin looked impressive, but Steven Ridley is still our best RB for the long term

10. The Niner's fall from grace is shocking, and I'm not just saying this because I lost my FFL game by 3 point DESPITE only getting only 4 points out of my QB.:mad: There offense looked HORRIBLE vs the Colts

11. The Dolphins look real to this point. I'm very happy that we meet them until week 8. By then Amendola should be back, Gronk will have had a few games under him, and Vareen will be close on the horizon. We will need them.

12. I think by now we can safely say that Julian Edelman is a decent NFL WR, and one of the best PR's in the league. There are some apologies due him by certain posters. (you know who you are.)

14. Thoughts on the rest of the league.

a. I can't be happier that the Brown won. Not only for Brian Hoyer's success, but because they essentially crapped on all those pontificating media pukes who killed them for the Richardson trade.

b. Nice to see the Steeler's 0-3. Looks like they are going to get ANOTHER high draft pick this season.

c.The Giants 0-3 :eek:and being TROUNCED by Panthers. Must make Jet fans think that its Christmas time already.

d. The much maligned AFCE is now undefeated against everyone but themselves. Also I'm pretty sure that the AFC has a much better record against the NFC than anyone expected.

e. The Jags could threaten the Lions 0-16 record.
eek:

f/ BJGE fumbled......again

.....#15. Gostkowski critics? (you know who you are):

.....crickets.

I agree re: Blount, and that is 100% why I also did not want to be forced to choose between Blount/Boldin during all of the prediction threads on the 53 man roster.

Boldin offers ST play on the big 4, and as we saw last season also offers something that a guy like Boldin cannot do as effectively. I wasn't ready to give up on him just yet, despite the ballwashing that came from Blount's one big preseason run vs 4th stringers.

I don't see much reason in even keeping Blount, aside from having another body in there for a RBBC to allow Ridley some rest once the game is in hand and/or if injuries occur, and I surely don't see the reasoning in keeping him as a KOR. The only explanation is that L.Washington is either hurt or not up to speed on something. I am sure that Belichick has to realize that this is an absolute failure, and common sense would point to it being changed as soon as possible.

8. I was concerned when Volmer went out of the game with a hanemd injury (or so they said). I became less concerned when I saw him sitting with the rest of the OL When they showed Dante lecturing toward the end of the game.

I am proud of the job that the offensive line did today against a tough Bucs defense, but having Vollmer in a walking boot isn't sounding too promising as far as you being "less concerned."

That's a VERY good Buc's secondary and the Pats seemed to have more more open WR's than against the Jets. In fact, as so many others have mentioned that this was a very good Defense, and after the first 3 series, the Pats moved the ball fairly consistently.
Indeed. The wide-outs got separation on them too and could have had a few more big plays if it weren't for misfires by Brady and some miscommunication. That's directed at the people claiming that Jets secondary is trash as a cop-out for why the Patriots were blowing by them. Even the Saints' prolific passing attack wasn't looking too hot against the Bucs. The end result was one to build confidence on. Once Rob and Danny return they'll be back to form and a force to be reckoned with.

Once everything starts to gel on offense, the Patriots, with the way they're playing defense right now, are going to be the team that no one is going to want to play in the latter part of the season and into the playoffs.

I am proud of the job that the offensive line did today against a tough Bucs defense, but having Vollmer in a walking boot isn't sounding too promising as far as you being "less concerned."

I agree. Foot injuries -- the current word -- can linger.

And by the way, we've had a lot of snaps this season with 6 OL. And now we're down to 5 OL that both are healthy and seem to be any good.

I agree. Foot injuries -- the current word -- can linger.

And by the way, we've had a lot of snaps this season with 6 OL. And now we're down to 5 OL that both are healthy and seem to be any good.

Here's obviously hoping to a very speedy recovery in terms of Vollmer's injury, and let's all take a moment to wish good thoughts. As you said, it's not just "him" per se as in Vollmer's importance and talent, but more of the position itself that is somewhat concerning.

We were already a bit thin on the OL as it was prior to this news, and it's going to be the OL that stirs this drink one way or another through improvement in the passing game and/or a continuation of the run success.

We were already a bit thin on the OL as it was prior to this news,

Yep. We lost our #7 OL to a starting job elsewhere and our #8 OL to an offseason injury. Our new #7 is injured, and we haven't found a good new #8 yet. Nervous time to lose a starter, even without considering the TE situation.

5. There is a pass route I'd love to see the Pats use more often. Its a an in and go by the slot receiver. Its the one that Edelman was so wide open on. I recall Welker making some long gains on this route last season.

Its so effective because the Pats throw that under route so often to the slot man, that the Safety will almost always bite. Julian ran a nice route and right by him, and was open by 10 yds when Brady over threw another open player

6. I don't think Brady is very accurate on his deep balls, but I'd still like to see them do it more often with this group of WR's Just like I'd like to see more of that "in and go", I'd like to see some kind of down the field throw off the bubble screen look. Teams are getting better at reacting to those quick screens, and I'd like to see the Pats do something off that play.

If you are referring to the slot man stopping, waiting, and baiting the defense on a bubble route as a decoy while another man runs downfield free, then yes....I have been waiting for this play to occur for quite some time.

I believe that you and I talked about it last season, but I don't remember seeing it although I could be wrong.

I'm not sure where I saw this done recently, whether it was on TNF last week, or sometime during the Saturday slate of NCAA games? Either way, if that's the play you're referring to, it'd have a high percentage of working AND would likely open up some nice bubble screens too, due to other teams having to respect the option from seeing it on film. It could be very beneficial.

Yep. We lost our #7 OL to a starting job elsewhere and our #8 OL to an offseason injury. Our new #7 is injured, and we haven't found a good new #8 yet. Nervous time to lose a starter, even without considering the TE situation.

I realize that Hooman contributed for 31 yds today as an actual receiving target which was nice, but he continues to frustrate me in terms of his blocking (or lack thereof).

It's only my opinion and I'm by no means a "good" X's and O's guy, but I have seen multiple times so far in the first 3 games where Hooman has been downright awful trying to block someone, which is by far his main job here.

Just today on the direct RB snap play where Brady pretends the ball is snapped over his head, he actually failed to even put a hat on an opposing player. The RB (can't remember who it was) came up a yard or two short on the play as a swarm of defenders took him down, and yet Hooman just literally stood there at a half jog where he was involved in the play directly, but failed to even attempt to carry out his blocking assignment.

He's lucky that he took that 50% pay cut or he'd have been gone at final roster cuts, but even when Gronk returns we're still lacking anything close to a reasonable TE corps in my opinion. I rarely question Belichick, but I'd have loved to see another inline TE brought in since a guy like Mulligan can obviously pick it up fairly quickly. It's not like we're talking about a WR here.

Is Ridley still in Bill's doghouse or is Bolden better?
Ridley rushed for close to 1300 yds and 12 td's last season and it looks like he is going to be a non-factor this season.

Ridley rushed for close to 1300 yds and 12 td's last season and it looks like he is going to be a non-factor this season.

Bolden is a better receiver. Think of him as getting Vereen's reps.

What I don't understand is Blount getting play ahead of Ridley. About the best spin I can put on it is preserving Ridley for later in the season.

Overall, I was satisfied with the game. Aside from the pregame hype:

Every game, I hear about this new, young qb that is the next Elway, Montana, Warren Moon... Then they go out out there and bomb. Also, every week, I hear how old Brady is, how soft Brady is, how bratty Brady is, etc. This week the mantra was: OMG, Brady is the 27th rated passer in the NFL.

I wanted to punch the tv. Thankfully, these hands were made for typing. (And, Brady and crew played much better.)

On to a few of PFK's points:

2,3 - I like what I saw from the RBs today. I still think they need to run Ridley more. The guy is just too good to keep on the bench because of a few fumbles.

6 - After reading the comment that Brady isn't so great at long balls, I remembered a thread from last year: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/945338-deep-ball-page2.html Shockt327 had a detailed post regarding various qb's efficiency on such plays and it turns out Brady is decent.

8 - Goodness, I hope Vollmer will be fine. He is so damn valuable.

10,11 - I intended to watch the niners game today, but a lawlphins friend came over and I agreed to watch that game instead. (He happened to bring a little cpt morgan, which is my weakness.) I am glad I missed the niners. Wow, how can a team that talented stink it up so badly? The Dolphins looked very good but their very agressive front line appeared very susceptible to runs up the middle. The Falcons suffered some game changing injuries. I am not as scared of either team as I was before I watched the game today.

14 A-F - I enjoyed every bit of each of those points, especially Hoyer.

A question: Did anyone pay attention to Wilfork today. I saw him make a couple of nice plays, and get wiped out a couple of times, but I wasn't paying as much attention as I should.

Brady and the rookies are starting to get in synch, once they get into the zone, it will be hard to stop them, like people have stated, the rookies are running free all over the place.

How about that defense? 4th and 1 stops, allowing only 3 points. What is this?

Brady and the rookies are starting to get in synch, once they get into the zone, it will be hard to stop them, like people have stated, the rookies are running free all over the place.

How about that defense? 4th and 1 stops, allowing only 3 points. What is this?

exactly, we are not used to this at all, its been what, about 10 years now since we had a D that can do this :D

I appreciate the summary, especially since I, along with so many others in Connecticut and Western Mass, was unable to see the game. Just another reason not to like FoxTV. I tried streaming but every option wanted to load a browser bar or other add-ons which bogged down my system.

So it is hard to make any comment until I have seen a replay (if NFL decides to show it). I did have a couple of reactions from reading the play by play, and watching the Jets/Bills. Firstly I think the trade of Blount for Demps is turning out to be "not a lot for not a lot". I guess I am OK with Blount taking KO returns until Washington's thigh injury has healed, not excited or expecting anything but he is solid in the non-moving definition of the word. I also think that he got his yards yesterday when the Bucs D had stopped resisting. I am not saying they mailed it in, but by the time those yards were gained, the Bucs O had long since drained the best of any fight from the team.

Secondly I do want to thank the football gods for such a kind early schedule. Please let us not fall victim to the hype that the AFC East is now a powerhouse since the only losses have come within the division. We can leave such euphoria to the Jets, who have found their savior in Smith, at least from Sanchez but certainly not from Ryan. 20 penalties and so many of them stupid.

I think he's less versatile than Bolden. It was good to see him catch a pass in stride today. That sort of thing will help keep him out there more. I think a big issue for Ridley at the moment is that his success running and limited success receiving has the defense keying on him to run when he's out there - sort of like whenever Brady was under center a few years back. I think the coaches would help the cause, if they would forgo the delay play with Ridley and, instead, call straight running plays, letting play action be the only mis-direction used with him. The delay isn't fooling anyone in that instance, but Ridley is a threat to gain 10 yards every time they put that OL on the attack.

I would like to add an NFL observation that I had seen. A number of teams are now gone back to using a true fullback and the Pats are one of them.

Good stuff, Ken, and good call not beating your head against the wall yesterday morning.

2. I'm still not a Lagarrett Blount fan. Up until his big run, he ran soft and ineffectively. He never fell forward or pushed the pile, like you would expect a big RB to do. Actually I was less impressed with his big run than the 2 he had AFTER the big gain. In those 2 runs (IIRC they were for about 8yds and 5yds,) he showed me the kind of power and pile pushing I was hoping we'd get.

So now I'm of the opinion that he CAN fill the role of a true power back, he just refuses to do it. IMHO he is always trying to make the big run at the expense of of taking what's there and add2-3 yds on his own. He rushed the ball 14 times. I'd be surprised if he fell forward in more than 4 of them.
He was fired-up for those last runs, once he got his big run, and definitely looked better. Hopefully, a little film work will help convince him that this is the way to run all the time. He seems like he's trying to be a team player and happy to do his part. It will take time, but I think with coaching and the Fear of Ivan, he just might come around enough to at least fall forward when it's 3rd and 1.

3. Boldin on the other hand was a positive addition. Our Junior BJGE did as he always has, which is get positive yardage and push the pile. He also showed a nice pair of hands, though he ran right past his blockers on that screen. That nice gain could have gotten us more.

That play worked so well that he was unprepared for success. He had two linemen to block one safety and he would have been racing downfield against the rest of the secondary again. I cut him some slack on that one, as we were in need of some offensive consistency at that point, so the easy first down was appreciated.

I think this is an option route and that Edelman just turned it upfield, so Brady wasn't looking for the easy score downfield. I'm pretty sure, he will be next time, however. :cool:

6. I don't think Brady is very accurate on his deep balls, but I'd still like to see them do it more often with this group of WR's

As somebody else pointed out, he's actually pretty good overall. It's just in comparison to his incredible accuracy on the short-to-intermediate thows that the deep ball looks inconsistent. The long ball is inconsistent by nature, so going big is a trade-off, but one that, if taken, forces defenses to play it honest and makes the short-to-intermediate routes more effective.

I would like to see more Consistent pressure on the QB, and i emphasize the word consistent. So far it appears to me at least that there are long stretches where the opposing QB has an in-ordinant amount of time to sit back and throw. Also I don't know if its just me but it seems the Defense works extremely hard for ever sack they get, nothing comes easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back