PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts......let the hand wringing begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
As displeasing as the game was as a Patriots spectacle I can't hope but believe that this was the grounding sort of game that BB would have hoped for at some point. The Patriots played a fairly poor game where the defense really stood up where it needed to for a few plays. The locker room material BB will be able to slam down the throats of his players will be long and plentiful.

Let's hope for a sharper and improved effort to close out the first seed and division.

Cosign this.

This gives BB material to make these guys focus going into the playoffs. It's only human nature to eventually start believing what everyone was saying about how great they were because of their recent stretch where they destroyed all the top teams. This game serves the same purpose as the Cleveland game without us actually losing a game.

This was exactly what we needed.

By the way, about San Diego, look at the schedule. SD wins tiebreakers against KC. This means KC has to win both of its last two games against Tennessee and Oakland because SD has a cakewalk.

If KC loses to either Oakland or Tennessee, then SD is IN.

It should be a bloodbath for the 1st round of the playoffs, with Baltimore at San Diego and the Jets at Indianapolis.

There are a lot of great comments on here and I wanted to share a few of my own. I thought about starting a new thread, but that would be overkill.
1. The Good-The Patriots won. As much as we want to focus on what went wrong last night, lets not forget that it was a win, and at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

2. For me anyway, the rose colored glasses have finally come off for Brandon Meriweather. Just in recalling games from memory, I can think of 3 other times this season where he has taken just horrendous angles on plays that have taken routine stops or even takeaways and turned them into big plays.

3. We have to give Warren, Deaderick, and Wilfork some credit. I know that the run defense was bad last night, but those 3 were asked to do the impossible last night and play the entire game with little to now rest.

4. If it is possible, I would say Banta-Cain had a good, bad and ugly game. The good was obviously the pressure he was able to manage at the end of the game to seal the victory. The Bad was the penalty and his run defense. The ugly is his overall lack of pass rush moves. For a guy who is supposed to be their pass rush and in a game where you could see the pass rush was affecting the QB, I watched him repeatedly just try to bullrush the tackle and get stonewalled everytime.

5. I thought the one big positive for the offense was the TE's. Gronk was not a huge factor in the passing game, but he caught what was thrown at him and he did a great job blocking Matthews all night. Hernandez made some big catches and obviously the TD's were key.

6. I thought Welker and Brady were not quite themselves this week. I think back to the last few weeks and Brady has been very vocal-both on good and bad series. Each week we saw him on and off the field either yelling at players for their good or not so good play and I think it was lacking last night, from what I can tell. Same for Welker, he usually is very emotional out there and I did not see it from him either. He also had some uncharacteristic drops I thought. What is good about that is when you have a rough game mentally like this and still win, it becomes a learning tool for the coaches.

7. In the same mold as number 6, I think it was almost inevetable that it would be an ugly game for the Patriots. All week it was talk about how great the PAts have become and a Rodgerless Packers coming off a brutal loss will just lay down. It was the PACKERS mentality that the patriots are so used to thriving off of other teams, not usually the other way around.
Thanks for humoring me and letting me rant a little with all of you.

I think the D will be fine, especially when Spikes and any one of Brace/Pryor or Wright come back.

We were exposed on offense a little bit, with Green Bay using the "Blueprint"-- dare the Pats to run, let them have the underneath passes but still take Welker out of the game, ferocious pass rush up the middle, man coverage, knock Brady down early and often.

I don't even want to hear about the fact that we put up 31 on a great defense. Woodhead is awesome, but we are going to need a more consistent running game, plus more of a deep threat in the playoffs. How many passes over 8 yards did Brady throw all night--maybe 1 or 2?

im not sure what everyone's got their panties in such a bunch for. the offense put 24 points up on the number one defense in football, against a team playing for its playoff life on national TV, including a go ahead score in crunch time that involved brady audibling from the line and throwing a beautiful pass.

this also coming against an offensive scheme that the patriots had no way to prepare for, not having any film on matt flynn, missing their run stopping middle LB, in a trap game coming off two huge victories.

im fine today. the patriots aren't invincible, no team in the NFL is. i think once the playoffs kick off you'll the pats kick things back up into gear again.

Last night a good win for us, we had been pretty invincible last few weeks, I might have actually gotten a little concerned if we went into the playoffs without a struggle like that. Lots of areas BB can attack this week and good lessons for the team. And as an added bonus, we made it out of there with a win.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm GLAD we gave up an onsides kick. Good for it to happen in this game and not in the playoffs. That is something if I were playing the Patriots I would absolutely want to do, the way Brady and the offense is playing right now. Hopefully our ST's learned a good lesson and will be prepared for it next time, I'm sure if you ask the COLTS they'd have appreciated something like that in a regular season game last year.

I hope we can come out next week and crush the Bills after this performance. Of course, right now I will gladly take a 1 point win and clinch home field, but I really want to see this team bounce back from this and play a solid game. Especially the OL and the front 7 who got tossed around alot of the night. Next Sunday will tell alot, even if it is just the Bills, they are playing much better lately.

I have to agree with Patsy about this being a good win for us. We came out flat and unaware, pretty much stayed that way for most of the game, and still managed to win. The players must be feeling lucky that they got away with one, and as a result, are less likely to not take Buffalo or Miami seriously.

Some good things -

The O put together 2 solid drives when they needed to (in the 1st to take the lead, and again in the 4th when we absolutely needed a score) despite not getting on the field much and really never getting into a rhythm.

Devin McCourty played great even though he was playing with sore ribs. That unnecessary roughness call was BS. Hit with his shoulder and helped dislodge the ball. Can't ask for better than that.

The D did get two important stops that helped us win the game, despite their pretty poor performance overall. The end of the game, obviously, and also in the 4th quarter, they did manage a goal line stand after a BS PI call in the endzone that put GB on the one. The boys held them to a figgie (putting GB up by 6), which we really needed. If GB had gone up by 10 there, I think the last of the wind would have left our sails. Instead, we managed to put up the next 10 points and win the game. Good stop in a night of not too many!

A few not-so-goods that stand out:

Play calling at the end of close games!!!! Andy Johnson, where are you to argue with me?! On our last possession, back at our own 10, we give to Woodhead on 1st down up the middle and he gets 5 yards. Okay, so far so good. Next play. What!!?? A short low throw to Welker who's surrounded by at least 50 GB players. Incomplete. Next Play. What!!?? Another low throw, which we don't even know where it's supposed to go, because it is batted way high at the LOS and a lineman has to bat it down to make sure it is not intercepted. NO TIME OFF THE CLOCK. GB players sighted laughing on the sidelines (not really, just imagining). ARRGGGHHH. I know lots of people are going to say, well the running game was doing nothing all night. But, that's not true. Woodhead was making positive yards at the end of the game. Just give it to him and see what he can do, if nothing else, to take a minute off the clock and make them burn their time outs. They had already burned one, but then didn't have to bother.

What happened to the O-line for most of the game? Brady got crunched a few times and just avoided it many others.

Just overall flatness for most of the game. Chalk it up to many things - injuries, coming out of a brutal stretch of the sched, whatever. The crowd was flat too for much of the game, but got fired up for the 4th quarter. They didn't leave either.

Okay, I'm done for the moment. I'm glad we got the win. On to Buffalo!!

im not sure what everyone's got their panties in such a bunch for. the offense put 24 points up on the number one defense in football, against a team playing for its playoff life on national TV, including a go ahead score in crunch time that involved brady audibling from the line and throwing a beautiful pass.

this also coming against an offensive scheme that the patriots had no way to prepare for, not having any film on matt flynn, missing their run stopping middle LB, in a trap game coming off two huge victories.

im fine today. the patriots aren't invincible, no team in the NFL is. i think once the playoffs kick off you'll the pats kick things back up into gear again.

Thats my feeling too.

Going into this game I had a feeling Flynn was going to do some damage for the sheer reason that for one, this team gives up yards and to compound it were missing their top guys on the run defense and two, the Packer's defense is pretty damn good. You're not #1 in scoring defense for nothing.

If I do have a gripe, I thought that the pass protection was poor at times and that should have been countered by more screens, 3 step drops and a few more runs by BJGE.

Plus- BB seemed to have a cold so he wasn't himself and didn't prepare the team properly. ;-)

Last edited:
reading some of the comments in this thread makes me want to barf. we're spoiled brats. always expecting a 40 point spectacle. this is the NFL. green bay has some pretty good players, and this was a must-win game for them. not so much for us. yet on arguably the worst day of football the patriots have played since october, they came away with a win. just be happy already.

in other news looks like our first home playoff game is going to be against.....the colts :eek:

Other than in the game thread, I don't see any panic around here ;) and, not to nitpick with you, but take away Connelly and Arrington and the Offense scores 17 points on a defense that got beat last week by the vaunted Shaun Hill led Detriot Lions.

And since I'm b!tching a bit about the offense, I was thrilled when they threw to the Gronk down field so early in the game. I was pissed that they never gave him another look. I'd like to know why.

I'll have to rewatch, but at least on a few plays I made note they did start using Gronk more in pass-pro.

As for failing to gain a first down on their final drive - I'm not as bothered by it as some. It's a tough situation for the offense b/c they have no choice but to be a bit conservative.

The reality is that if Welker catches the 2nd down pass - which was pretty catchable, they likely pick up the first on 3rd down and they get themselves some breathing room.

What they did on the preceding two drives was pretty remarkable. To start to move the ball with such precision and control at that point was good to see.

In a lot of ways, the game reminded me of the 2007 SB in terms of the matchup of our offense vs. their defense. GB's defense brought pressure not by bringing extra men, necessarily, but with stunts and delayed rushes and had success pressuring up the middle. They also got their hands on a few of Brady's throws. And just like in the 2007 SB, our offense adjusted in the 4th quarter and did what it took to regain the lead. This time around, our defense made the key stops.

Last edited:
All fans always think announcers are "against" them, it's pretty much never the case.

Uh, Simms is FOR the Patriots, pretty obviously. All these announcers have their biases. It shouldn't bother anyone especially since most of them were players, but they do little to hide their biases. As long as they are offering good insight, it shouldn't bother anyone. I could go over the game last night and clearly hear unnecessary and biased content from Collingsworth. It was plain as day and obvious. It's OK.

Why not put some of the DL on IR if they won't come back so they can at least suit up some guys who can play DL. Anyone on the practice squad? Street FA?

It doesn't appear wright or pryor are coming back.

There's > 1 way to win a football game, especially against a quality opponent when you're missing a ton of guys. This Pats team plays like a bunch of opportunistic vets, they make the other guy pay for his mistakes.

I loved last night's game. Showed how resourceful this team is. GB was good, desparate, and playing the underdog - no surpise they gave us a run.

not to be too homerly but it should be pointed out that as of monday, december 20, the patriots have beaten the following teams in the 2010 NFL season:

Colts (2009 AFC winners)
Jets (2009 AFC runners up)
Bengals (2009 AFC North winners)
Chargers (2009 AFC West winners)
Ravens (2009 Wild Card team)
^^
every AFC playoff team from last year

Vikings (2009 NFC North winners)
Bears (2010 NFC North winners, likely)
Steelers (2010 AFC South winners, likely)
Packers (2009 Wild Card team)

did you think this was likely at the beginning of the year? last night's game was the last one that i had circled on the calendar as "boy i dont know if we can win that one." we've won all of them. im going to enjoy this win today, like ive enjoyed all of them in this unexpected and awesome season.

Last edited:
not to be too homerly but it should be pointed out that as of monday, december 20, the patriots have beaten the following teams in the 2010 NFL season:

Colts (2009 AFC winners)
Jets (2009 AFC runners up)
Bengals (2009 AFC North winners)
Chargers (2009 AFC West winners)
Ravens (2009 Wild Card team)
^^
every AFC playoff team from last year

Vikings (2009 NFC North winners)
Bears (2010 NFC North winners, likely)
Steelers (2010 AFC South winners, likely)
Packers (2009 Wild Card team)

did you think this was likely at the beginning of the year? last night's game was the last one that i had circled on the calendar as "boy i dont know if we can win that one." we've won all of them. im going to enjoy this win today, like ive enjoyed all of them in this unexpected and awesome season.

Good post; whether media them credit for it or not, the experience and wins against other top teams is a nice plus going into the playoffs. Just have to keep it up against some "lesser" competition next two weeks, too.

I could go over the game last night and clearly hear unnecessary and biased content from Collingsworth. It was plain as day and obvious. It's OK.

Could you cite examples of this "plain as day and obvious" bias?

Can't help but LOL at the complainians who think collinsworth is anti-pats. Last night he described a pretty good pass by Brady as "that might be the best pass I have ever seen in my life." At another point he praised a low incompletion because it couldn't be intercepted.

There is no agenda. You hear what you want to hear.

Do have a volume control on your TV apparatus?

Do you have a radio?

I like Michaels, thinks he calls a good game. So if you know of audio filtering software that can cut out Collingsworth's voice, I'm all ears, so to speak.

As for the radio, yes, I like Gil Santos and think he is one of the best play-by-play men around. But Gino? Love him as a former Patriot great, but Gino should have hung up the microphone a year or two ago. He is barely holding it together. In fact, he's painful to listen to. He rambles, makes mistakes and usually only states the obvious. This should be his last year in the booth.

1. The Patriots Struggle against quarterbacks they dont have tape on.

What do Colt Mccoy and Matt Flynn have in common? they are both 2 quarterbacks who the league doesnt have alot of tape on. the patriots do alot of breakdown of quarterbacks with tape, they study their tendency's, how quickly they do their reads and how to react to an open man. without this information all you can do is play basic defense, and flynn proved that he can beat basic defense.

2. What is it about big white Runningbacks.

John Kuhn looked like Peyton Hillis Jr. out there, the patriots couldent bring him down, and late in the game they were so gassed that they were giving up huge chunks of yardage to this big man who refused to be tackled, combined with Matt Flynn, this really was the Cleavland 2.0 and the patriots overcame it....barely.

3. The depleted D-line was exhausted, undermanned.

This D-line played almost 40 minutes with the same guys, wilfork was out there almost every snap because he had to be and missing brace really seems to hurt the run defense. this teams depth at DL is really hurting right now, thankfully the patriots only need 1 win before they can completely shutdown everyone for a couple weeks if that is what they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News