PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts......let the hand wringing begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you cite examples of this "plain as day and obvious" bias?

No, I can't. I said I could go over. Why did I say that? Because as I was watching the game I thought to myself that it was a skewed comment and unnecessary several times. In the initial post you're responding to, I was actually defending Collingsworth because I like him, but frankly I find the idea that these guys are objective to be totally preposterous.

Collinsworth is, IMO, one of THE BEST announcers in the game and the idea that he is, even remotely, a Borges or Felger disciple, is a joke. The guy is extremely objective. There was much to criticize about the Patriots last night, but they did a helluva job getting the win. Collinsworth was extremely complimentary when he should be, but just b/c a commentator criticizes, which he did, doesn't mean it's not justified. He's EXCELLENT, well-prepared and astute.

This. He may come off as a know-it-all sometimes, but that's because he normally is.

ETA: Not only did he praise the Pats on numerous occasions, but I think I heard him actually mention all of the injuries to the D-line. Also, he absolutely had a mancrush on Vince last night...he couldn't say enough good things. Collinsworth praises good play. He may seem overly effusive sometimes, but he has no anti-Pats agenda. Criminy.

Last edited:
I think Collingsworth doesn't like the Patriots much and he's 60% against them.

It doesn't bother me.

He's a really good announcer who offers real insight into the game.

Compare him to Troy Aikman who offers little. Compare him to Simms who offers a little more analysis but is over the top arrogant. Collingsworth is smarmy and I can deal with that, but Simms is a know-it-all.

My feelings on these three color commentators differs. I think Simms is the best, followed by Aikman, followed by Collingsworth. I happen to like all three.

Play calling at the end of close games!!!! Andy Johnson, where are you to argue with me?! On our last possession, back at our own 10, we give to Woodhead on 1st down up the middle and he gets 5 yards. Okay, so far so good. Next play. What!!?? A short low throw to Welker who's surrounded by at least 50 GB players. Incomplete. Next Play. What!!?? Another low throw, which we don't even know where it's supposed to go, because it is batted way high at the LOS and a lineman has to bat it down to make sure it is not intercepted. NO TIME OFF THE CLOCK. GB players sighted laughing on the sidelines (not really, just imagining). ARRGGGHHH.

They showed audio after the game. One of the shouting, "I like our chances! I like our chances!!"

Collingsworth is an equal opportunity ballwasher.

Simms clearly has a pro-Pats bias.

I'll take Simms over Collingsworth.

There are a lot of great comments on here and I wanted to share a few of my own. I thought about starting a new thread, but that would be overkill.

From my view as a mod, you're my new hero! :)

The rest of your post was great,too. Thanks!

Why not put some of the DL on IR if they won't come back so they can at least suit up some guys who can play DL. Anyone on the practice squad? Street FA?

It doesn't appear wright or pryor are coming back.

Then why doesn't BB IR them?

I too am frustrated with the length of time for Wright's absence especially but I think BB takes a long term view of these things. While some job endangered HCs might tale more career risk on an injured player perhaps BB feel that the neck injury/concussion whatever really needed the rest of the season to heal w/o exposing the player to career risk. Hope it heals by early Jan at worst.

Last edited:
Let's not do to Wright what the Colts have done to Collie.

Let's not do to Wright what the Colts have done to Collie.

They kept Collie out for 5 weeks after being bumped in the NE game.

Not sure why he is so susceptible to concussions. If concussions are really that frequent in the NFL, then the league needs a lot more than 53 man rosters. Get a concussion and go on IR then, seems like it happens about once or twice a game. So expand the rosters by about 15-20.

Guyton for Spikes is a real problem in run defense. Didn't matter as much vs Chicago because we got the big lead. Thankfully he'll be back for the playoffs.

My first impression, on first watch of the game, was that Guyton was pretty terrible. He was getting pushed right out of plays; once the DL is healthy, though, I don't think it will be too pronounced, and the ground games of Miami and Buffalo don't really worry me (although Green Bay's didn't worry me either, so who knows...)

Also, I like Collinsworth a lot as a commentator. He's way over the top in his praise across the board, but once you adjust the hyperbole downward (the Brady-Branch completion where Brady's arm was hit can't really be the best pass he's ever seen), he can be pretty informative. He got points from me for actually noticing the DL injuries, and noticing how gassed Wilfork was. He's one of the few commentators that I consistently feel like I'm learning little nuggets of info when I watch a game that he's calling.

The idea that anyone could come out of last night's game thinking he has an anti-Patriots bias is baffling to me. Some people here really need to grow a thicker skin. That's about as bizarre as the Jets fans who think that he's in love with Brady.

Last edited:
I think we are missing the most important point.

In the last 12 minutes of the 4th quarter, Pats 10- Packers 0 which was helped a rather odd and "selective" TBC call.

This game was similiar to the San Diego game so trying to analyze like a normal "set piece" game is rather difficult. Between onside kicks, run backs, Pick 6's, critical penalties, new QB's, personnel out,

As such, a win is a win.

2. I think the poor run defense was more a product of the 3 DLmen (Wright, Brace, Pryor) that were missing and the 2 that were playing hurt (Warren & Deadrick) Most of the time we were playing with the same 3 or 4 defensive linemen for the entire game.

I would hardly call the run defense "poor". 3.8 ypc? Nothing wrong with that. Even if you isolate on Jackson, 22 for 99 with a long of 12 is a solid but unspectacular effort. The defense didn't play their best for the reasons you indicated, but the problem wasn't the 143 yards given up on the ground...it was the 38 attempts for the Packers. That is an overall situational issue with the offense, defense (run and pass) and ST all playing a part. For some context, the Pats only had 43 total offensive snaps. Isolating on any one particular aspect is missing the overall point.

Last edited:
My feelings on these three color commentators differs. I think Simms is the best, followed by Aikman, followed by Collingsworth. I happen to like all three.

I used to like Simms but I feel like he has lost it recently. Its almost like he is trying to be too positive at times. He doesn't like to blame players, coaches or refs anymore even sometime when they blatantly deserve it.

I could care less what Borges has to say! :mad:

The lack of defensive intensity from the New England Patriots showed tonight.

That does not excuse the poor tackling angles taken tonight by New England Patriots defenders.

Only one key defensive lineman has been placed on Injured Reserve. Meanwhile, the New England Patriots won a Super Bowl during the 2004 NFL Season with both starting cornerbacks placed on Injured Reserve. Bill Belichick does not use injuries as excuses, neither should anyone on this message board. With regards to injuries, it is what it is!

You are so right about the horrible tackling last night.....only thing that helped was that GB's tackling wasn't all that much better......

I like most people was starting to get frustrated when watching the game basically because i was expecting us to handle them easily... but then i remembered at the start of the season my expectations for this team and how they have exceeded them. did i think they would have the best record in the nfl? no. Did i honestly believe that we would have a realistic shot of going long and deep into the playoffs? honestly no i thought maybe make a run cause you can't count out BB and Tommy b. But if i was being honest i thought year for young guys to develop... we'll take em next year.

So i am just happy with what we have accomplished regardless of last nights W or L. But as a pats fan i am just enjoying the great run we are on and how this season has gone past anything i thought we would accomplish.

Lets hope we stay healthy and are ready and raring for our 1st big Playoff game.

I think the D will be fine, especially when Spikes and any one of Brace/Pryor or Wright come back.

We were exposed on offense a little bit, with Green Bay using the "Blueprint"-- dare the Pats to run, let them have the underneath passes but still take Welker out of the game, ferocious pass rush up the middle, man coverage, knock Brady down early and often.

I don't even want to hear about the fact that we put up 31 on a great defense. Woodhead is awesome, but we are going to need a more consistent running game, plus more of a deep threat in the playoffs. How many passes over 8 yards did Brady throw all night--maybe 1 or 2?

more consistent running game? we had 113 yards on 16 carries 8 yards per... take away BJGE's 33 yarder... 80 yards on 15 carries... still over 5 yards per

reading some of the comments in this thread makes me want to barf. we're spoiled brats. always expecting a 40 point spectacle. this is the NFL. green bay has some pretty good players, and this was a must-win game for them. not so much for us. yet on arguably the worst day of football the patriots have played since october, they came away with a win. just be happy already.

in other news looks like our first home playoff game is going to be against.....the colts :eek:

Yeah i was looking at that too. I am not as gun hoe as alot on this board about our playoff opponents particularly i think the ravens colts and chargers are very very dangerous come post season

You're right about the hype. We're not the dominating terror the media kept talking about after blowing out the Jets and Bears back-to-back. But then again, rarely have we been a dominant type of team except for 2007. Heck, even in our 3 Super Bowl wins, we won by only a FG each time, and those 3 seasons were filled with lots of close victories. I can live without dominating so long as we keep finding ways to win games, which we seem to be doing.

I agree that the offense was the real problem tonight, but give credit to the Packers defense. That may have been the best pass defense we'll see all year. They basically held us to 17 points, if you exclude the Connolly set up TD and the Arrington return. We actually ran on them quite effectively (7.1 ypc), and should have run more.

Did nobody else notice that Charles Woodson and Boon (FB/RB?) were having huge games but it still wasn't enough to beat the Pats? Brady still had the game winning drive that we knew he was capable of putting up. The D still held when it counted. And the Packers played out of their skulls, were the beneficiary of several key penalties, one that negated a critical gamesealing INT, and still lost to the Pats.

I'll admit last week's win was ugly. But it was a W. Are there coaching points for improvement? You bet there are. But BB is one of the master motivators and fixer-uppers. He'll find a way to use this. I expect to see much better play against Buffalo to lock up the #1 seed. A half-bye vs the Dolphins (IE sit Brady in the second half). Then we'll see what BB can cook up with an extra week of preparation. It's usually something really good and the Pats have already beaten all the projected top seeds in the AFC. So I like our chances at home.

I think the D will be fine, especially when Spikes and any one of Brace/Pryor or Wright come back.

We were exposed on offense a little bit, with Green Bay using the "Blueprint"-- dare the Pats to run, let them have the underneath passes but still take Welker out of the game, ferocious pass rush up the middle, man coverage, knock Brady down early and often.

I don't even want to hear about the fact that we put up 31 on a great defense. Woodhead is awesome, but we are going to need a more consistent running game, plus more of a deep threat in the playoffs. How many passes over 8 yards did Brady throw all night--maybe 1 or 2?

The Packers defense was playing great and didn't give Brady much time throw. Woodson was playing out of his mind, like circa 2001 Woodson. The Pats still pulled out the win. I think the Pats pass protection was not as good as usual. And they will dissect and try to solve what the Packers were doing, stunts, etc. I look at this game as a learning opportunity that fortunately did not come at the cost of a loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey