PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian R: Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say this is a decent guestimate on how the scenario will play out. I still think Light is the best option this year. Vollmer is the LT of the future. The Pats will try to trade Light in the offseason while he still has value (Calling Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels).

McDaniels is out of the question. They've got a great young line, and frankly, Clady is better than Light.

Pioli though, the Chiefs line is a mess (as is the raiders, who are always an option)

Patriots offense has become explosive since Vollmer got into the lineup. Yes, Brady has improved as well this season but they took off both as a running and passing team once Vollmer moved into the LT position. Guy is a freaking STUD. I key in on him during games looking for a slip-up, and he has only delivered punishing blows to defensive lineman and linebackers. He's a force on that line.

Patriots offense has become explosive since Vollmer got into the lineup. Yes, Brady has improved as well this season but they took off both as a running and passing team once Vollmer moved into the LT position. Guy is a freaking STUD. I key in on him during games looking for a slip-up, and he has only delivered punishing blows to defensive lineman and linebackers. He's a force on that line.

I agree. Light's been a fine player for us for almost a decade, but Vollmer brings a new level of power and explosion. I'd like to see us upgrade the RT position as well in the offseason - Kaczur, like Light, is solid, but there's plenty of room for a more explosive and physical tackle. Someone like junior Gabe Carimi from Wisconsin (6'7" 325#) complementing Vollmer would do wonders for our line.

Vollmer is only going to get better. Light is not getting any better, and is probably on the downside. It's great to have 2 competent LTs, but I'd like to see us continue to ride Vollmer. Trading Light for KC's early 3rd round pick in the offseason might be a good move - there's likely to be a lot of talent still available in the early 3rd round.

Trading Light for KC's early 3rd round pick in the offseason might be a good move - there's likely to be a lot of talent still available in the early 3rd round.
Whats the incentive for a rebuilding team like KC to take that trade?

Because Tackles playing into their mid to late 30s isn't uncommon, and they need to get someone to keep their 60M investment from getting killed in the short run.

Several:

1. Light is a proven veteran LT who has played at a pro bowl level, and who can step right in and contribute. KC needs OL help in addition to Albert, and protecting Cassel is probably their #1 priority. I could see them drafting an OT in the first round, but even so there would be plenty of room for Light to come in and play.

2. Pioli knows Light and what he can do, and, more importantly, Cassel knows him and is comfortable with him at OT.

I could easily see KC going OT in the first, WR in the 2nd, and then trading their 3rd for Light. Not a given, but not unrealistic.

Light will be back and, once again, another player is fine-tuned and ready for the final games. Vollmer is the future LT.

Several:

1. Light is a proven veteran LT who has played at a pro bowl level, and who can step right in and contribute. KC needs OL help in addition to Albert, and protecting Cassel is probably their #1 priority. I could see them drafting an OT in the first round, but even so there would be plenty of room for Light to come in and play.

2. Pioli knows Light and what he can do, and, more importantly, Cassel knows him and is comfortable with him at OT.

I could easily see KC going OT in the first, WR in the 2nd, and then trading their 3rd for Light. Not a given, but not unrealistic.

Haha... Cassel comfortable with Matt Light, Cassel got sacked a ton from Lights side.

McDaniels is out of the question. They've got a great young line, and frankly, Clady is better than Light.

Pioli though, the Chiefs line is a mess (as is the raiders, who are always an option)

Hmmmm...package Light and another higher level player for a second round pick from Pioli, or get a first from carzy Al for just Light... let me think about this one :rolleyes:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back