PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I wish we played the Packers this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not saying the patriots would destroy them..but to say that the packers would be Favs is silly...The Pats D is getting better each week and the Pack's D is shot. The packers are very beatable. The crap vikings almost beat them and would have if they had better coaching.

i'm not saying the patriots would destroy them..but to say that the packers would be Favs is silly...The Pats D is getting better each week and the Pack's D is shot. The packers are very beatable. The crap vikings almost beat them and would have if they had better coaching.

If the Patriots matched up against the Packers this week, the Packers would be the favorites, and deservedly so.

you're right about the packers D. however, if the pats and packers played one another RIGHT NOW, packers would be favorites. they are undefeated and coming off a super bowl season. the patriots D, on the other hand, has struggled for the first 4 games but is getting better each week. however, like others have said above, the D is no position to be facing aaron rodgers right now. plus two straight weeks of solid D is not going to get the media's attention about our defense improving.

last year i remember how mike mcarthy was telling his team after playing us that we were not that good. donald driver said similar things.

If they played now, the favorites would be the team who was playing at home.

Also, I dont care what the media says.

I'm undecided about who I like better the Cowboys or Giants. Both teams have talented QBs who can either be good or bad any given Sunday, thus very dangerous and unpredictable..lol...Regardless, I think the Pats would be favored vs everyone except the Packers who are rightfully the favorites until otherwise...

If they played now, the favorites would be the team who was playing at home.

The Packers have won 13 straight games. They'll be favorites, at home or away, until either they lose, another team starts playing great on both sides of the ball and gets them at home, or they suffer a major injury.

Rodgers doesn't miss many passes now, against the Pats....it would be a debacle. Just a question of someone getting an int or a fluke play. I don't think the pats defense could stop them once. And Rodgers doesn't throw many pics...I can't see the pats winning the game right now.

In discussing whether they would be favorites or not, we have to care what the media says. That's the whole point - what is the perception of who the winner would be between the two. Right now, perception is Packers, maybe not by a lot, but by some amount. And given they are SB champs and remain undefeated, it's fair.

The Packers have won 13 straight games. They'll be favorites, at home or away, until either they lose, another team starts playing great on both sides of the ball and gets them at home, or they suffer a major injury.

Either way, it dont matter..its going to be a cowboys vs pats superbowl.

Either way, it dont matter..its going to be a cowboys vs pats superbowl.

It does matter, because it's a reflection of their level of play, and all the Koolaid flowing through your veins doesn't change that.

It does matter, because it's a reflection of their level of play, and all the Koolaid flowing through your veins doesn't change that.

Nope, it does NOT matter because they do NOT play each other this season and the chances of them playing eachother are pretty slim. The packers are very beatable.

Rodgers doesn't miss many passes now, against the Pats....it would be a debacle. Just a question of someone getting an int or a fluke play. I don't think the pats defense could stop them once. And Rodgers doesn't throw many pics...I can't see the pats winning the game right now.

For some reason I think the Pats would match up pretty decently vs. the Packers offense...I think the Cowboys would match up well too. The Saints not so much..lol

Nope, it does NOT matter because they do NOT play each other this season and the chances of them playing eachother are pretty slim. The packers are very beatable.

To repeat:

The Packers have won 13 straight games.

For some reason I think the Pats would match up pretty decently vs. the Packers offense...I think the Cowboys would match up well too. The Saints not so much..lol

Maybe you're right...hope so. Don't quick accurate passes kind of doom our guys? I am not good at evaluating who matches up best against whom though.

Winning Super Bowls isn't easy. I think we took that for granted in 2007. Whoever we face on our path to whatever postseason success we have will be a difficult path. I'd love to beat the best.

Plus, we'd be underdogs going in - and we've always felt comfortable as that, and it's been a long, long time since we haven't been the favorites.

The Packers have had some issues stopping the pass this year. I would feel comfortable with our offense going in against them. With that said, at this point in the season, I think Rodgers and their offense would torch our defense as well.

Here's what needs to happen on the defense until I'll say that I'd feel comfortable playing Green Bay...

1. Haynesworth's snaps increasing.
- He isn't just a presence against the pass, he's also very good against the run. It's no coincidence that his playing time goes up when opponents are in the red zone, as it's also no coincidence that opponents have trouble scoring when they get down there. Get him healthy, get him in shape, and get him in there. In Week 1, I saw him take on a double team with his right arm, and bring a surging Reggie Bush down with his left. The man is a beast and the more that the Pats can get him, Wilfork, and Shaun Ellis playing together, the better it will be for the defense.

2. Jerod Mayo returning.
- With Brandon Spikes playing the way he has been (a downhill beast), do I even need to say more here?

3. Devin McCourty rounding back into form.
-Not sure where the 2010 McCourty went, but he's been missing in action so far this season (though I thought he did a solid job when matched up with Dez Bryant in the second half last week, even after getting abused a little in the first). If the 2010 DROY can round back into last year's form, with Kyle Arrington intercepting the ball the way he has and with Dowling (when healthy) and Bodden in the slot, this secondary would improve immensely and take some of the pressure off of the ailing safety position.

4. More zone and a return to the 3-4.
-Even though they'd have to go big on the D-Line to make #1 happen, the Pats have personnel more suited to playing the 3-4. Of course, I know the Pats going to alternate their defensive formations according to what the opponent is doing, but I'd like to see a return to the 3-4 as the base. So far, we've been seeing more and more of that through the last couple of weeks. On top of that, I'd like to see even more zone. The first couple of weeks showed that the secondary wasn't comfortable playing a lot of man coverage.

If all of this happens, the Patriots are going to be returning to the Super Bowl sooner rather than later. The good news is that we have the personnel to make this happen. It's just a matter of coming together and getting lucky with good health.

the packers defense is a step back from that of last year....the patriots may be 32nd in yards allowed, but the media/fans seem to ignore that the Green Bay Packers are 31st! a rookie QB in his first nfl start put up 200yards on them and nearly beat them(who knows if he was allowed to throw on 4th and 10)

for all the talk in the media about how the Pats offense is carrying the defense and its not sustainable....no one wants to mention that the packers are a mirror image. Rodgers is pulling that team by scoring alot of points

I noticed that when looking at the teams this weekend:

GB: Offense (Passing: 3rd; Rushing: 23rd) Defense (Passing: 31st; Rushing: 9th)

NE: Offense (Passing: 1st; Rushing: 10th) Defense (Passing: 32nd; Rushing: 8th)

Having watched Green Bay twice this season, their defense is not exactly a human wall. The two teams have a single loss between them, yet the Patriots seem to get the bulk of the defensive scorn.

And those games mean nothing each new Sunday

Ok, you're so far gone that you're willing to completely chuck reality in order to keep the Koolaid world nice and fuzzy.

Have a nice day.

Ok, you're so far gone that you're willing to completely chuck reality in order to keep the Koolaid world nice and fuzzy.

Have a nice day.

you're argument about the amount of games they won before means nothing..the pats won 18 games in a row before they played the giants, how did that help?

No thank you, not having another elite team on the schedule makes it better for us as we battle for top seeds.

After the gauntlets we ran through in 2007 and 2011 then still managed to get kicked around in the playoffs, I could care less about being battle tested or going up against the top teams. Just win the games on your schedule and try to stay as healthy as possible.

Besides I HOPE the Packers go 16-0 and the attention/hype is all around them in January and not us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft