PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hate KFFL's Hotwire

Status
Not open for further replies.
patsfan13 said:
I don't post on KFFL but some of the posters are pretty good.
ummm.. no they arent... kffl isnt even worth looking at... that is so 1990's... all you need is this site, miguel's pages, and profootballtalk... everything else on kffl is stolen from those pages.

pats1 said:
I really don't get what's so bad about KFFL. For what I use it for (just the Hot Wire) it gives a great real-time compilation of every sort of news imaginable, even down to the most obsolete of players.

Who needs info on obsolete players? ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
:enranged: Miguel!
That's it. You're never borrowing my bongos again.

Attachments

• poteatbongos.gif
    poteatbongos.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 98
DaBruinz said:
Honestly, Box, you just came up with a great idea. But, maybe it should be tried on a scaled down version 1st. Maybe Murphy can set it up that Miguel gets a 30 min show or something that he broadcasts over the internet and Miguel can field questions about the salary cap from an "educated" layman's point of view.

Ok here's the first question...requarding the restructing of Dillons (or any) contract...Why aren't they set up that way (restructured version) in the first place? Is it a seniority/talent level/stats thing? Or a number of years left on the contract thing? Clear as mud...

The beautiful world of contracts

I may be naive on the point, but a lot of the time, it seems that restructuring is used as a corrective mechanism for faulty (or cautious) value assessment, as well as to help out with management's planning. Other times, you move money around for reasons you had no idea you would have to face when the original contract is written. As we've all heard, lots of contracts have years written in that "could" happen, in the same way that winged monkies could start flying out of my hindquarters. I call these NLTO (Not Likely To Occur) contract years.

I THINK (someone correct if wrong,) that Dillon's first deal was at a bargain basement price, if Dillon really were the back he use to be. Then he went out and had a great 2004 campaign, and got the long-term deal, paying him as befits his contribution. This year it looks like he's getting a shot across the bow regarding perceived value versus real value (3 mill in bonus money earlier this year) - "if you show us this isn't the downslope, we'll pay you like this isn't the downslope."

Individual contracts can be laden with the kinds of "incentives" we're familiar with, the LTBE and NLTBE varieties. In fact 04 might have been such a hot year for Dillon because his base dollars were augmented to the hilt with "NLTBE" (for mortals) incentives. I don't think he kicked and screamed about having to "show" it again. And maybe I have too jaundiced an eye, but it's all business. Right now, nobody would pick up Corey for a very high base salary, or much guaranteed money. Age-risk, an off year, injury risk. So yeah he could refuse to do the deal, but then the Pats could just release him. Then what does he end up with?

This looks like a more cordial way of doing business, where everyone is comfortable with the assessments, and there's no real threat that Dillon would produce eye-popping numbers without some kind of reward, probably the incentives clauses.

To talk outside of this specific case, the contract itself is an incentive mechanism, outside those devices. They're structured to reflect payment scenarios, "if-thens." Of course, if you're on the hook for big bucks and the player does not produce, the legal remedy to a bad year that leaves some doubt, is to say "um, thanks, it's been great, but...."

Whereas the remedy if you don't want to go to the wall is to approach the player about re-doing the deal.

I don't know how a player feels when the money guy sits him down and says, "look. You didn't do what we thought you'd do..." But it's another harsh fact of NFL life that it can happen at any time.

And as we know, plenty of times the team just comes to you and says "I'd gladly pay you tomorrow for a cheeseburger today" to re-do the deal, or swaps less guaranteed money for unrealistic "out years" of a contract. In most cases, the 1-in-a-thousand superstardom you're willing to say you expect of 1-in-10 players, never happens (don't think this was the case for Dillon, he was a more known quantity). So 990 of them end up redoing the deal to reflect reality, and have no recourse; nobody else is going to sign a "good" player to a "great's" contract.

This is the long way around to saying - Corey, dude, thanks for not dragging it out. Yeah, if all the negotiating would end up getting some paltry additional figure (say, my annual salary,) you did the right thing and we love you for it.

But contracts are a pretty damn fluid medium, for such legalistic documents. I don't think Dillon's altruism (or his agent's) is the operative force here. I think it goes back eventually to supply and demand.

Okay, cap/contract mavens, have at it. Whenever I talk caps/contracts I figure I get about 1/3 of it right. I await the corrections.

But yeah, I can answer the big point - you don't want to structure the deal one way or the other "In the first place," with a plan in place for 5 years, and no chance to modify for various exigencies and preferences (would we rather front-load? Are we in a position where we HAVE to defer a cap hit? Were the last X years of the deal realistic, or realistic IF HE'S THE WORLD'S GREATEST? Etc.)

Of course, legally, that's what the contracts are, "set in stone" - that's why you have to redo them if the crystal ball gets foggy. The reason they can redo a document that's "set in stone" is that money can be shifted that still gets paid, just under different titles or at different increments, and that other money was never really expected, and so the player does not kick and scream because nobody else will pay it either. (Hence the guaranteed money versus salary and incentives division.) Only this year's bonus(es) are real.

PFnV

Most deals that are "re-structured" turn salary into Signing bonus to spread the hit out over the remaining years of the contract.

What this does is lower the salary for the current year, usually to the vet minimum" and then pay the player the difference in a bonus check. Usually, there is no actual change in the amount of the contract.

To answer KWF, the reason that the contract isn't "structured" that way to begin with is that teams don't want to give the players more money up front than they absolutely have to. Also, there is a limit to how long you can amortize the signing bonus for. 1st round rookies this year have a 5 year limitation on their contract. 2nd-7th have a 4 year limitation on their contract. Veterans have a 7 year limitation. The longer you can amortize a bonus, the smaller that bonus is over each year.

It would be like saying that Adam and Vanderjagt got identical 5yr/10 million contracts. Well, that's not the case. And their salary cap number shows it.

Anybody that thinks of dissing Miguel will have an entire flock of Patsfans.com'ers to get through.

I have followed Miguels hard work and capology for years now - he is a tireless worker totally committed to getting things right.

I know I speak for many when I say Thanks Miguel - for those of you that care to say thanks as well - a donation to his sisters charity "Bread of Life" (address and info found on his page would be most appreciated) that is all he asks in the way of thanks.

Keep up the super work Miguel and I have one request - when you make it big and are featured on NFL Total Access - remember us over here and score us some tickets to any of their live broadcasts!!

Box_O_Rocks said:
:enranged: Miguel!

This will really make you hate Miguel.

I came here because I used Miguels draft links and cap pages. Then when he moved over here, I followed to read his cap pages.

I lurked here for quite a while, then stopped taking my medication, and the rest is history.

BTW, Miguel use to have th best draft links on the internet. He always kept it up to date.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
This will really make you hate Miguel.

I came here because I used Miguels draft links and cap pages. Then when he moved over here, I followed to read his cap pages.

I lurked here for quite a while, then stopped taking my medication, and the rest is history.

BTW, Miguel use to have th best draft links on the internet. He always kept it up to date.
:wha: That scoundrel has a lot to atone for. :mad:

Who's Miguel?

Who's Miguel?

Just messing with ya, Miguel! We all love ya...... :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore