PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I had a chat with Vernon Gholston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepting that contract was malpractice on the part of Gholston's agent.

$9M for one sack/FF/FR? Seriously? There is zero chance the JEST would have paid that, even if he earned it. Now if they had done something like $1M per for up to nine, and he earned the whole thing, then that they might have paid.

Huh. It's a contract term. It's non-negotiable. If Gholston had performed he would have gotten the 9m. It's one of those super-easy escalator clauses that helps the cap by spreading out the bonus yet also makes the agent look good. Unfortunately for Gholston's agent, he did not anticipate the level of Suckitude that Gholston would perform at.

Gholston had 3 years to do it and did nothing, nada, zippo, zilch. He didn't even have an injury excuse. Gholston played in 15, 14, and 16 games respectively. 45 games with 0 sacks. This from a guy who had 14 sacks alone just counting his final year in college.

That's cool you met him and all those other players, but I think I'd rather resign Matt Chatham before we pissed away a roster spot on Gholston.

Re: I had a chat with Vernon Gholston

I had a chat with a log on my property the other day.

It's an impressive log as logs go but it's rather useless other than to look at.

Accepting that contract was malpractice on the part of Gholston's agent.

$9M for one sack/FF/FR? Seriously? There is zero chance the JEST would have paid that, even if he earned it. Now if they had done something like $1M per for up to nine, and he earned the whole thing, then that they might have paid.

I don't know if that is true. It all depends on how the escalator was structured. If he got a sack in his rookie year and all of the escalator money in year two, he would have gotten every penny. No way would the Jets cut the 6th pick in the draft after one season no matter how bad he was.

For the 6th overall pick in the draft, expecting at least one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery in his rookie year should have been a no brainer. I mean Jermaine Cunningham was a late second rounder and injured for a large portion of his rookie year and still had a sack and two forced fumbles. This should have been one of those NLTBEs that were really likely to be earned.

Without knowing how his contract was structured, you cannot blame the agent. If he got the entire escalator immediately or even the following year, his agent was in the right because Gholston should have gotten every penny of that money in that scenario. Only being one of the biggest busts of all time prevented him in that situation.

None of that power or explosiveness shows on the field though whereas Matthews looks as explosive as his 10 yard dash indicates.

Are we talking now or in college? Because Gholston looked pretty good in college too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST