I find this to be very odd…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I find this to be very odd…
don't cliffhanger thread titles suck?

Whenever I think of the NFL landscape, I am perplexed, to say the least. If you are a hardcore fan or a casual fan it does not matter, it is very clear that Roger Goodell is not a well-liked or respected man. The fans boo him uncontrollability; the players bash him, and the NFLPA despise him. Why would the owners want this? I know the obvious answer is he has increased the money they make, but let’s be honest that is more a correlation than anything else, NCAA football has seen a similar spike in revenue.

I just cannot wrap my head around how a person who is hated by the fans, players, and the union can be the commissioner of the league.

Can anyone offer me a legitimate or tangible reason why these billionaires of the NFL would want such a cancer as part of their business? Whatever instant gratification they are feeling from today, they have to be smart enough to know that this does not bode well for the future of the NFL, and they are facing a **** storm in 2020 when they need to renew the CBA.

The most amusing part of it to me is that I am betting that Goodell retires at the end of 2019 and leaves the owners and the next commissioner with a big pile of ****. Goodell is a scumbag, and the owners are idiots if they do not realize that scumbags screw everyone over, and they are on borrowed time until Goodell does it to them.

Yeah, money. They're making a lot of money.

Nothing specific about your thread here really, but I am really so sick of talking or hearing about Roger Goodell.

I'm not sure why you feel the players and NFLPA hating Goodell is a bad thing for the owners.
The players and the NFLPA are the owners arch enemies. The entire point of a commissioners is for the owners to have someone to keep the players and the union down. When they negotiate the CBA the first and foremost point is how much of the owners money the players will get. Everything else is give and take to support that main point.
Many have said the plan could be that the league is on a mission to show that the commissioner has so much control, and can exercise it in any random way that he wants, that the union will focus on that and give in on other things. As some have said, take away Goodells arbitrator role in return for 18 game schedule, for example.
How the fans feel about the Commissioner is also of no concern to the owners, in fact, they probably are happy he is hated, because by implementing what they want him to do, they get their way and have no blood on their hands with the fans, its all on Rogers.

Remember during the lockout, how many fans railed on about the greedy owners? They were assailed in every corner. Now no one says anything about the owners, because they have found a way to get more power and have it blamed on one man they will disassociate themselves with at some point. I think there were a lot of owners at Cris Carters fall-guy lecture.

There is every possibility that Goodell is being used by the owners and he is too stupid to know it. Colonel Klink is in charge of the army.

Because he is doing their bidding, and he is more than willing to be the face that everyone hates in exchange for $40-50 million a year. The owners are blinded by their own greed and can't see two feet in front of them. They care about squashing or at least minimizing the union, they care about being insulated from health and concussion lawsuits. They care about their owners making money from fantasy football sites. They care about schlepping ****ty beer and crappy food so they can make multibillion dollar deals with the networks. They think that there will be upward trajectory for eternity but it's becoming so unwatchable that it won't.

They think the Brady suspension is a win because it gives them more power, regardless of the collateral damage. Part of Kraft was happy Brady was suspended and he ponied up his share to Wells & Co.

The owners love Goodell and the piles of cash he brings to the table right now but just wait until all of this "power" blows up in his face and the end result is an entire year of Football being lost. Then we will see how much they love him. He will be ousted from his position faster than you can even imagine.

Because he looks bad and not the owners.

Bingo. He does the bidding of the owners who are, by and large, scumlords themselves. They don't care about the fact that he's completely saturating the game as long as that cash money keeps on a rollin' in, baby. That's why it shocks me to a degree. Many of the owners are pretty astute businessmen and yet they aren't forecasting the future of the league. Saturation is never a good thing and no institution or corporation is infallible. Eventually people will get tired of the crap and will bail out and the owners will lose money hand over fist. Maybe they see this and just don't care. Not sure. But it is bewildering.

He's a willing pawn. Easily controlled and a perfect scapegoat. Low intelligence, no morals, no shame, no self respect. Even with the reprehensible domestic abuse cases that he "punishes" with a slap on the wrist, there hasn't been enough backlash to oust him. Thus, he stays.

I really don't care because I can't change it nor can the fans. It's all about money for the owners and not about fans. There is always some new fan to step up against a fan that is leaving.

Money Money Money

It is the same everywhere, look at the USA.

I hate it but am not ready to not enjoy my sport or country.

After the latest turn of events i'm more convinced than ever that the majority of owners are just a bunch of spoiled kids like those who say "the Ball is mine if I dont play no one plays".

Just look at these QB contracts they are throwing around, its like they are in a private competition "my QB makes more money than yours" and laughing at the next idiot who is going to overpay for his QB to join the club. I dont expect any reasonableness from these people. I always thought wealth people were inteligent and smart some way or another until starting following NFL's backstage closely, the owners changed my mind about that.

Can anyone offer me a legitimate or tangible reason why these billionaires of the NFL would want such a cancer as part of their business? Whatever instant gratification they are feeling from today, they have to be smart enough to know that this does not bode well for the future of the NFL, and they are facing a **** storm in 2020 when they need to renew the CBA.
Here are my theories:

1) First and foremost, they are making money hand over fist. They are probably giving Goodell far, far more credit for that than he deserves, but it certainly makes the public criticism of Goodell much less biting. Simple fact is that large businesses generally default to the status quo in good times.

2) The commissioner is supposed to be a fair and impartial caretaker of the game, but the owners would rather have a weak willed puppet with no integrity who will do their bidding. Enter Goodell.

3) By having Goodell as the point man, the owners deflect a lot of the criticism that they themselves deserve.

Condaleeza Rice should be NFL commissioner.

I for one was on the owners side during the last round of the CBA. I was seated in my own use of the game I love as my diversion from real life and as such, wanted peace with no care really of who won or who lost - just let the games go on.

Man o man has my view has changed.

There is NO question I now wish nothing but grief for the owners, I hope the NFLPA gets everything they deserve, the players are the show after all. As for the owners and their commissioner, one can only hope they get what they deserve and I'll leave that to anyone's imagination, but it sure isn't pretty.

I have predicted for a long time now that the NFL owners will dump Goodell sometime prior to the start of negotiations of the next CBA. Goodell's presence will be toxic at any future negotiation with the Players association. So I believe the owners, in order to keep the ball rolling, will give Roger a pat on the back, and a hefty departure check, and send him on his way at that time.

It will of course be a "mutual decision". :rolleyes:

My hatred of the NFL and lifelong boycott of everything NFL-related besides a Brady or Belichick game will extend well beyond Goodell's departure. The scumbag owners have been the impetus behind all of the disgusting, immoral actions of ginger. I hate Jim Irsay, Steve Bisciotti, John Mara, Jerry Jones, Bob McNair, Woody Johnson, and many others and will not be their customer ever again. Bob Kraft is also part of their group, going on television and supporting the lies and misdeeds of Goodell. They are all part of the shameful league and their handling of concussions, BountyGate, Deflategate, and numerous lies fed to the public.

Common sense would seem to lead one to conclude that the NFL, and any other league, would want their commissioner to be an admired, upstanding figurehead. But, the NFL owners honestly don't give a f### how they and their league appear to anyone as long as the dough rolls in like the waves on a beach. There is absolutely no incentive for them to give a **** what anyone thinks about them. They have a mesmerizing cash cow to which we are all addicted, the courts have confirmed that they can deal with any situation any way they want and they don't have to answer to anyone. Why would they care what anyone thinks of them and their commissioner?

This whole thing about Goodell making them money is nonsense. The NFL is growing in popularity DESPITE Goodell. They could have an empty bottle of soda pop or can of motor oil as the commissioner and they'd be making the same amount of money, and probably MORE.

As for him "taking the heat"??? There doesn't need to BE heat. Why is there so much drama surrounding football when there doesn't need to be ANY??? This isn't Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or Orange County.

I am absolutely POSITIVE the empty can of motor oil would have higher favorability ratings across the board with none of the nonsense and none of the heat, yet the same or better in money/growth.

Whenever I think of the NFL landscape, I am perplexed, to say the least. If you are a hardcore fan or a casual fan it does not matter, it is very clear that Roger Goodell is not a well-liked or respected man. The fans boo him uncontrollability; the players bash him, and the NFLPA despise him. Why would the owners want this? I know the obvious answer is he has increased the money they make, but let’s be honest that is more a correlation than anything else, NCAA football has seen a similar spike in revenue.

I just cannot wrap my head around how a person who is hated by the fans, players, and the union can be the commissioner of the league.

The most amusing part of it to me is that I am betting that Goodell retires at the end of 2019 and leaves the owners and the next commissioner with a big pile of ****. Goodell is a scumbag, and the owners are idiots if they do not realize that scumbags screw everyone over, and they are on borrowed time until Goodell does it to them.

He's an asset to the owners as long as the players are willing to give something up in order to get rid of him or diminish his power. If you treat CBA negotiations like a zero-sum game where you aren't even putting out the pretense of collaboration or cooperation or even good-faith negotation, then his toxicity to the players becomes a weirdly effective leverage point.

This all relies on NFL ownership suffering from an especially short-sighted kind of hubris, but I don't think it's controversial to suggest that. I think ownership is 100% sure that, no matter how badly they **** everything up, we'll keep showing up and lining their pockets, so from that perspective they have no real incentive (aside from general decency, which they of course lack) to care what we think about any of them.

Here are my theories:

1) First and foremost, they are making money hand over fist. They are probably giving Goodell far, far more credit for that than he deserves, but it certainly makes the public criticism of Goodell much less biting. Simple fact is that large businesses generally default to the status quo in good times.

2) The commissioner is supposed to be a fair and impartial caretaker of the game, but the owners would rather have a weak willed puppet with no integrity who will do their bidding. Enter Goodell.

3) By having Goodell as the point man, the owners deflect a lot of the criticism that they themselves deserve.

Yes, yes, yes. OP and many others believe that the owners are the good guys and Goodell is the bad guy. Just goes to show why the owners might like someone like Goodell in there.

I have predicted for a long time now that the NFL owners will dump Goodell sometime prior to the start of negotiations of the next CBA. Goodell's presence will be toxic at any future negotiation with the Players association. So I believe the owners, in order to keep the ball rolling, will give Roger a pat on the back, and a hefty departure check, and send him on his way at that time.

It will of course be a "mutual decision". :rolleyes:
Why the hell should he get a "hefty departure check" when he's amazingly overpaid to begin with? I think they should kick his ass out the door with a steel-toed boot. But that's just me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News