PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I doubt we'll make the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My honest view is I think we will struggle. I dont see us winning all the remaining games .. the defense is on its last legs and these injuries, if they havent already, will catch up them soon enough. A defense with 3 rookies, 2 old dudes who werent playing 2 weeks ago and some banged up linemen is going to get pulled apart by a decent offense. Seattle should probably have won that game last week and a better O means we will have to play out of our skins offensively

Hope im wrong but I think we go 10-6 or 9-7 .. then its time to re-tool the defense for next year

The Jets fans would be very entertaining if Chad Pennington keeps them out of the playoffs, I must say.....

Considering all thats happened this year, I will not be too upset if they don't make the playoffs. However, if the Pats don't get in, I would like to see Pennington shove 5 td's right up Manginis a**. :D

Either way, my original prediction was 10-6. Im hoping they beat that :)

Of course, I hope we can, but I'm very scared about playing Arizona. They will likely beat us. We haven't beaten a good team all season (other than the Jets.) Unless Seau and Colvin suddenly discover the fountain of youth, I think injuries have taken their toll; and we'll look ahead to next year. With a fistful of draft picks, and a healthy cap situation, we should be able to retool nicely. I also believe we'll get something for trading Cassell.

There is some realism to what you say........except that I don't fear any team......and neither do the Pats I would imagine.....Just depends on how well THIS team plays against each of the remaining opponents. During the 1st 3 quarters of last weeks game against a pretty weak team......the defense and offense struggled. Now, if you do that against Arizona...you will lose.......Against both Buff and Oak...if they come out half a##ed.......they will struggle...Yes, the SECONDARY is our achilles heel....they are pretty darned awful with the exception of merriweather.....I DO think that our injuries have been and are going to be a factor during the remaining games.......Seau and Colvin looked...well like two old guys trying to play a kids game....No offense....they have been great, great players over their careers and hopefully can pull out a little youth to get us into the playoffs...But, the idea of getting into the playoffs will be a stretch this year......and even of god willing we make it.....going to be tough going deep with all the deficits and injuries that have plagued us this year.....No matter what happens....I am proud of most of these guys for what they have done this year......GO PATS!

Yes, no matter what, I'm proud of the team too. We've had to suffer devastating injuries, and it's great still to be in the hunt. At the same time, I would really hate to see the Pats make the playoffs only to get beat up in the first game. We've been playing all these extra games owing to unprecedented success which sees us consistently go deep into the playoffs. It does take a toll on players. Maybe it's best to retool and reheal. We can go make another historical run next year.

Sorry for the negativism, guys. It's true that the team normally outperforms my expectations. But with all the injury hits we've taken, we're razor thin in terms of depth, and playoff games tend to be intense and hard-hitting wars. You need to have depth going into the playoffs as you can expect to lose a few players as you march through the games.

My honest view is I think we will struggle. I dont see us winning all the remaining games .. the defense is on its last legs and these injuries, if they havent already, will catch up them soon enough. A defense with 3 rookies, 2 old dudes who werent playing 2 weeks ago and some banged up linemen is going to get pulled apart by a decent offense. Seattle should probably have won that game last week and a better O means we will have to play out of our skins offensively

Hope im wrong but I think we go 10-6 or 9-7 .. then its time to re-tool the defense for next year

very realistic..good post

Of course, I hope we can, but I'm very scared about playing Arizona. They will likely beat us. We haven't beaten a good team all season (other than the Jets.) Unless Seau and Colvin suddenly discover the fountain of youth, I think injuries have taken their toll; and we'll look ahead to next year. With a fistful of draft picks, and a healthy cap situation, we should be able to retool nicely. I also believe we'll get something for trading Cassell.

I have to disagree. Arizona has wrapped up their division. they have nothing to play for. If they hadn't already punched their tickit for the playoffs and were in the hunt then I just might have to agree, considering how our defense is right now. But with no stake in the game plus the fact they're aweful when they have to travel to the east coast. Well I don't see us getting bullied, thats for sure. I'm actually more worried about the Bills game at this point. They may have fading playoff hopes but a divisional rival is always more then happy to try and upset a contender.

Why isn't this thread in the practice squad forum? I'm sick of negative speculation. Let's be optimistic and try to enjoy what's left of this remarkable season. It'll end soon enough either way.

Why isn't this thread in the practice squad forum? I'm sick of negative speculation. Let's be optimistic and try to enjoy what's left of this remarkable season. It'll end soon enough either way.

Practice squad? Why? Because I don't have many posts? I've been on this forum for a while, and I've been a Pats fan since 1974. I don't have a bunch of posts because I tend to only post when I really have something to say. I don't believe in building up a pile of ill-thought out posts just to build up my count. Seems rather silly.

Yes, my thoughts on this thread can be seen simply as "negative," but they seem to have resonated with some people, judging by the response on this thread.

Last edited:
Practice squad? Why? Because I don't have many posts? I've been on this forum for a while, and I've been a Pats fan since 1974. I don't have a bunch of posts because I tend to only post when I really have something to say. I don't believe in building up a pile of ill-thought out posts just to build up my count. Seems rather silly.

Yes, my thoughts on this thread can be seen simply as "negative," but they seem to have resonated with some people, judging by the response on this thread.

You can't judge a thread's worthiness by the number of responses it draws, and this has nothing to do with your points/post count. It's simply negative speculation that brings nothing to this forum. Instead of doubting the Patriots make the playoffs with three games to go, why not speculate on the scenarios by which they MAKE the playoffs, and how they might succeed once they're in the tournament? I guess I just don't understand your train of thought. As a Patriots fan, we get joy and satisfaction from seeing this team succeed against the odds, not from predicting its demise. Unless, that is, you're so afraid of being disappointed that you need to prepare yourself for that possibility way in advance, despite the fact you might be proven wrong. The Patriots have been written off many times only to prove the "logical" naysayers wrong. As a purported fan, you should have learned something from that by now.

Arizona has won the division, and would have to win out to get a first round bye. A loss this week would nix that totally.

I would not be surprised if they rested some players for the Patriots game.

First, they should be Minnesota at home, as the Vikings are playing Tavaris Jackson.

But even if they lost, I doubt they would rest anybody with 2 games to go. Maybe if a player is 75% healthy, he would play if it was a must win, maybe that guy doesn't play. But I highly doubt that suddenly Matt Leinart is playing the 2nd half of this game.

If they were going to rest significant players, they would do so in week 17, not week 16.

Still think we can win out and, with some help, make it to the dance.

I think the biggest game looming is Arizona. They have a insane passing game, and we have weak CB's (ok that's being generous), but look what we did to Denver who also has the QB and receivers. Arizona has already clinched their division. What left do they really have to play for. We, on the other hand, HAVE to win these remaining games. I believe we can, and we will win them.

You doomsayers are forgetting that without Warren, Seau, and Colvin this defense held its own against an elite Steelers team a couple weeks ago. If Moss doesn't drop a couple gimme's and Slater doesn't hand Pittsburgh the ball in our red zone, we are up at least 20-13 midway through the 3rd quarter with the ball, despite a couple long returns by Pitt on ST giving them great field position. Right now, there's no team in the AFC I'd say more fearful than Pittsburgh and if we didnt beat ourselves, we'd have likely won.

We have lots of winners on this roster, and most importantly one of the greatest coaches ever. I'll take that on any January Sunday if we get there.

You doomsayers are forgetting that without Warren, Seau, and Colvin this defense held its own against an elite Steelers team a couple weeks ago. If Moss doesn't drop a couple gimme's and Slater doesn't hand Pittsburgh the ball in our red zone, we are up at least 20-13 midway through the 3rd quarter with the ball, despite a couple long returns by Pitt on ST giving them great field position. Right now, there's no team in the AFC I'd say more fearful than Pittsburgh and if we didnt beat ourselves, we'd have likely won.

We have lots of winners on this roster, and most importantly one of the greatest coaches ever. I'll take that on any January Sunday if we get there.

:ditto:

Expect those doomsayers to respond that no other team signed Seau and Colvin and that they are old and washed up and that we have beat only poor/avg teams until now. :rolleyes:

I don't care what anyone says anymore. I am bunkering down and going to be rooting for us irrespective of whether we sign Seau's grandmom or Colvin's great grandpa. :D

I don't care what anyone says anymore. I am bunkering down and going to be rooting for us irrespective of whether we sign Seau's grandmom or Colvin's great grandpa. :D

I heard on PFT that Seau's grandma really can stuff the run, and that Colvins great grandpa is a monster in pass coverage.

First, they should be Minnesota at home, as the Vikings are playing Tavaris Jackson.

But even if they lost, I doubt they would rest anybody with 2 games to go. Maybe if a player is 75% healthy, he would play if it was a must win, maybe that guy doesn't play. But I highly doubt that suddenly Matt Leinart is playing the 2nd half of this game.

If they were going to rest significant players, they would do so in week 17, not week 16.

Thank you. Someone who gets it. I keep reading multiple people on this thread dismissing the Cards game because "they'll have nothing to play for". Not true. They will be looking to lock to still lock up the #3 seed which means something. Don't think it does? How do you think the Pats would have fared in the 2006 AFCCG if it was in Foxboro instead of Indy?

Besides playing for the #3, the Cards need to prove they can play with a legit playoff team on the road on the East Coast, something they haven't managed all year. If they fold up the tents and rest players and get waxed, what do you think that will do to the confidence of a team entering the playoffs for the first time sine the 90s?

The Cards will show up to play.

The Cards will show up to play.

Part of the argument goes is the 3 seed rather than the 4 seed worth risking injury to your starting QB and two star receivers in a cold weather game?

The Cards have no running offense. If either of those receivers get damaged for the playoffs, they can have home field throughout and it won't make a difference. Game over for the season. The head coach then gets to stand tall before the man and answer why he risked dreams of a championship on gaining street cred in a relatively meaningless game.

I heard on PFT that Seau's grandma really can stuff the run, and that Colvins great grandpa is a monster in pass coverage.

lol

I don't have to hear it anywhere to doubt my team. :cool:

Trust BB knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
The friggin' Seahawks are 2-11 and they showed up to play. The worst thing we can do is look past ANYONE for ANY REASON. If we can't beat the one-dimensional Cards, we're not a playoff team.

Last edited:
The friggin' Seahawks are 2-11 and they showed up to play. The worst thing we can do look past ANYONE for ANY REASON. If we can't beat the one-dimensional Cards, we're not a playoff team.

I agree. And i'm more worried about looking ahead of Oakland TO the Cardinals game.

I agree. And i'm more worried about looking ahead of Oakland TO the Cardinals game.

It almost seems like NFL priorities are : SB, Divisional Titles, Divisional Records, Beat the Filthy Pats. Other teams may have the luxury of making assumptions about teams not giving a game their all. The Patriots have the luxury of assuming every team will give them everything they've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST