PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I doubt we'll make the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the argument goes is the 3 seed rather than the 4 seed worth risking injury to your starting QB and two star receivers in a cold weather game?

The Cards have no running offense. If either of those receivers get damaged for the playoffs, they can have home field throughout and it won't make a difference. Game over for the season. The head coach then gets to stand tall before the man and answer why he risked dreams of a championship on gaining street cred in a relatively meaningless game.

Maybe for Week 17, but not Week 16. After the Giants played all their players and gave it what for in a "meaningless" Week 17 game and used the momentum of that loss to propel them on a SB run, I think you will see few teams resting all their players for significant time.

I understand the school of thought you are saying, but IMO it's wishful thinking. This isn't the 12-1 titans with the #1 seed locked up.

Of course, I hope we can, but I'm very scared about playing Arizona. They will likely beat us. We haven't beaten a good team all season (other than the Jets.) Unless Seau and Colvin suddenly discover the fountain of youth, I think injuries have taken their toll; and we'll look ahead to next year. With a fistful of draft picks, and a healthy cap situation, we should be able to retool nicely. I also believe we'll get something for trading Cassell.

I like the positive tude

Instead of doubting the Patriots make the playoffs with three games to go, why not speculate on the scenarios by which they MAKE the playoffs, and how they might succeed once they're in the tournament? I guess I just don't understand your train of thought. As a Patriots fan, we get joy and satisfaction from seeing this team succeed against the odds, not from predicting its demise. Unless, that is, you're so afraid of being disappointed that you need to prepare yourself for that possibility way in advance, despite the fact you might be proven wrong. The Patriots have been written off many times only to prove the "logical" naysayers wrong. As a purported fan, you should have learned something from that by now.

First of all, there are already a ton of threads which take the "optimistic" approach.

Second of all, this thread doesn't dismiss those who think the team can win out. Several posters have already written that they feel we can win out. The idea here is to open a discussion, and not to hammer my view across, which I've endeavored not to do.

Third, my post is actually optimistic. We are a team built for the LONG HAUL. We may have to sacrifice certain seasons if we have to, but we are going to be an elite team most of the time. It is how BB and Pioli operate. As mentioned in my original post, sometimes it is better to retool and we will have a fistful of draft picks and are in good cap shape. You definitely misinterpret my post as being simply "negative."

Good thing you don't teach at a school or university. I guess it would be just ONE view for everything. You are welcome to your opinion, but your argument is silly in my opinion. I love this site and depend on it for a lot of news. I don't live in the Boston area, so I get a lot of my information from posts in this forum. Last thing in the world I'd want to see here is a one-sided, one dimensional view of my team. Cripes, we're not in a fascist country for crying out loud!

First of all, there are already a ton of threads which take the "optimistic" approach.

Second of all, this thread doesn't dismiss those who think the team can win out. Several posters have already written that they feel we can win out. The idea here is to open a discussion, and not to hammer my view across, which I've endeavored not to do.

Third, my post is actually optimistic. We are a team built for the LONG HAUL. We may have to sacrifice certain seasons if we have to, but we are going to be an elite team most of the time. It is how BB and Pioli operate. As mentioned in my original post, sometimes it is better to retool and we will have a fistful of draft picks and are in good cap shape. You definitely misinterpret my post as being simply "negative."

Good thing you don't teach at a school or university. I guess it would be just ONE view for everything. You are welcome to your opinion, but your argument is silly in my opinion. I love this site and depend on it for a lot of news. I don't live in the Boston area, so I get a lot of my information from posts in this forum. Last thing in the world I'd want to see here is a one-sided, one dimensional view of my team. Cripes, we're not in a fascist country for crying out loud!

I agree with the OP here. Why can't he start thread talking about how he feels we won't make the playoffs? I'd say by the large, the optimistic posts outweigh the pessimistic. Obviously this is not the case in the hours and days following a loss, but show me a sports team's message board that is sunshine & bunny rabbits following a loss? You can't because it doesn't exist.

But this haughty dismissal of threads by some posters who hold their nose up and utter "To the Practice Squad with thee" really is getting old.

It almost seems like NFL priorities are : SB, Divisional Titles, Divisional Records, Beat the Filthy Pats. Other teams may have the luxury of making assumptions about teams not giving a game their all. The Patriots have the luxury of assuming every team will give them everything they've got.

Actually, I was thinking that it just doesn't take much to put up points on this Patriots defense - which keeps other teams in the game. Don't you cringe everytime the Pats defense faces a 3rd and long? Thank goodness I have a DVR and watch the games slighly behind real time so I can quickly skip through some of these long drives by the opponents. 'Tis better to be upset for 2 minutes on a 13 play opponent TD drive than 12 minutes. ;)

Like I said, there is much optimism in my thoughts on the team right now. We probably won't make the playoffs but we've got tons of picks next year. Look at our draft class this year with Mayo, Crable, Wheatley, Wilhite, Slater, along w/ undrafted gems Guyton and the lawfirm.

It isn't funny what our front office can do with a lot of picks. It isn't funny at all. Another draft year like this and we are back in the elite, folks.

I still think we'll eventually get something niiiiiice for Cassell. I don't know when he'll be traded, but he will at some point once Tom can regularly start again.

As mentioned, the team approach is designed for the LONG HAUL. We could always take the opposite I WANT IT NOW approach adopted by the Jets and the Cowboys (think of that Roy Williams trade!) I like the way the Pats do it; even if we don't go anywhere this year.

Last edited:
Like I said, there is much optimism in my thoughts on the team right now. We probably won't make the playoffs but we've got tons of picks next year. Look at our draft class this year with Mayo, Crable, Wheatley, Wilhite, Slater, along w/ undrafted gems Guyton and the lawfirm.

It isn't funny what our front office can do with a lot of picks. It isn't funny at all. Another draft year like this and we are back in the elite, folks.

I still think we'll eventually get something niiiiiice for Cassell. I don't know when he'll be traded, but he will at some point once Tom can regularly start again.

As mentioned, the team approach is designed for the LONG HAUL. We could always take the opposite I WANT IT NOW approach adopted by the Jets and the Cowboys (think of that Roy Williams trade!) I like the way the Pats do it; even if we don't go anywhere this year.

Ironic as you are being drawn & quartered for being "too pessimistic" in your original post, yet I'd argue right here you've got on the rose-colored glasses! Mayo & Guyton certainly look like starters, but the rest are huge question marks. Wheatley looked good in flashes pre-injury, but who knows if that carries over? Wilhite hasn't shown much good or bad, and Slater obviously has hurt the team more than helped. And Crable is another "who knows ...".

I'm hoping the team does a 180 on the Filene's Basement FA approach they took to defense last year and signs a few big names to the secondary. They are very good corner and very good safety away from being a very good defense.

Sure but Meriweather didn't look all that great his rookie season either and now he's probably our best player in the secondary. The hidden lining is that injuries allowed Wheatley and Wilhite more playing time than they normally might have gotten in their rookie season. I think both will be better players next year. This has been a wonderful rookie class.

...but show me a sports team's message board that is sunshine & bunny rabbits following a loss? You can't because it doesn't exist.

Oh yes, I can. Every time the Jets lose I visit their forum and feel good for HOURS afterward!

Don't you cringe everytime the Pats defense faces a 3rd and long?

Yeah, that is sometimes hard to watch. Main reason I've enjoyed re-watching the second half of the Hawks game.

When Brady went down I said 10-6. If Brady was playing these last 3, we'd be 11-5, but he's not. 10-6, fins win out and make it at 11-5. I also predicted the Phins to take the afcE after smacking us at home early in the season...have to stick to my guns. But I would love for us to pull the 3-0, Im just not sure if it would matter. I like the phins at this point.

"If Brady was playing these last 3, we'd be 11-5, but he's not."

So you're saying that with Brady in there,....we would have won only ONE more game? Puhleese....this is one of the dumbest things I have read here....no offense...right to your opinion....but here is mine...If Brady had been healthy this year.....we would have been 13-3 at worst.

Secondly, If you had predicted that Miami would TAKE the AFC East title this year......please post where you stated that on here.........you must be the next Miss Cleo........great ESP.......

I agree with the OP here. Why can't he start thread talking about how he feels we won't make the playoffs? I'd say by the large, the optimistic posts outweigh the pessimistic. Obviously this is not the case in the hours and days following a loss, but show me a sports team's message board that is sunshine & bunny rabbits following a loss? You can't because it doesn't exist.

But this haughty dismissal of threads by some posters who hold their nose up and utter "To the Practice Squad with thee" really is getting old.

He certainly can start a thread with fear and foreboding, and you certainly can defend it. And, I can respond. I'm not at all suggesting that dissenting opinion is unwelcome here, or that we should feel compelled to polish a turd after losing. But speculating that the season is lost at this stage is the type of negativism for which Ian created the practice squad forum.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP here. Why can't he start thread talking about how he feels we won't make the playoffs?

He certainly can, but why couldn't the post go in one of the numerous playoff race threads made each week where our playoff hopes are discussed? It's really pointless to make a whole new thread about this hence the sarcastic replies. I didn't object myself but I understand them.

Looks like my feelings when I started this thread are correct.

And it sucks! Pats are playing some of their best ball right now, but it would take a major miracle to make the playoffs.

Well we can always rest up for next year and get a head start with the draft. We've got a lot of picks with possibly a few more coming our way if we deal Cassell.

Looks like my feelings when I started this thread are correct.

And it sucks! Pats are playing some of their best ball right now, but it would take a major miracle to make the playoffs.

Well we can always rest up for next year and get a head start with the draft. We've got a lot of picks with possibly a few more coming our way if we deal Cassell.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Jets took out Brady's knee? Hell no!
Otter: Jets?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Patriots I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to hold out hope with you , we might get in disappointed." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Pennington, he's a dead man! Favre, dead! Manning...
Otter: Dead! TheGodInAGreyHoodie's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: *Let’s do it*!

(with my apologies to John Belushi)

As expected, we didn't make it.

Dang shame as we had been playing our best ball right at the end. Cassell has developed nicely and the offense was clicking. On the other hand, we had another couple of injuries yesterday, and our team is falling apart on that score. Maybe it is just as well. You need to maintain some depth for the playoffs and the Pats have already lost too many players.

This should build a hunger next year. This is still a loaded team and they've got a fistful of draft picks. I'm proud of what the team has accomplished this year; and I anticipate next year with great relish.

Go Pats!!!!

Way to gloat.

Some of us will dig up threads about how we had faith in a player when others didn't e.g. Cassel.

But digging up a thread of pessimism to gloat is down right trollish.

I posted prior to SB that I doubted the Giants would get blown-out and gave them a decent chance to win. When others were posting they were 100% certain the Giants had no chance. I never once bumped one of those threads. The only threads I have bumped are ones in which the doubters got it wrong.

You are a troll.

Who is gloating?

Plus who is negative?

Not I. Should I have started a new thread? Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call