PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I can't decide whether this defense is good or bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the words "seems" and "feels like" to explain my perception of this defense. Obviously, the stats show that they're making a higher percentage of 3rd down stops than pretty much most everybody else, so what it "feels" like isn't the same as what is actually happening. That's why I juxtaposed my perception with the data.
Then what are you asking? You say it seems that the Pats give up too many thrid down conversions, but yesterday the Falcons were 2/9, and overall the Pats are very srong in this area. Are you asking why it seems to you that they aren't doing well while admitting that they are? How can anyone answer that?

If it "seems" to you that the defense is not doing well, and by all measurable standards they are doing very well, then there is nothing anyone can say as to why your perceptions are exactly the opposite of what is happening.

Unless maybe you have unrealistic expectations. Like flipping out if the defense allows even a couple first downs, or losing it if the defense allows more than 10 points a game? Having exaggerated reactions to a failure to get a three-and-out may cause you overlook all the times they do force a punt.

Our defense is good where it matters. Belichick has never been about ints and sacks, which is what the pressure based Defenses like the Jets, Ravens and Packers are. The pats just focus on taking away what the opposing offense likes to do. And for three weeks, they've done a good job of that.

Although they still have a hard time getting after the QB, they're playing a lot better than I expected. One of the only stats that I care about is the 3rd down percentage. As of right now, their at 30 percent (7th in the league) as opposed to 44 percent after 16 games in 2008. In addition, points per game has been 17, 19 and 10.

So how will it turn out when Manning or Brees face this D? I think we're very good at not giving the QB a lot of targets because our CBs are good on coverage. But you cannot stop a good QB by not rushing him. Have we EVER seen Brady look bad without getting rushed? Nope, neither will we see that with Manning or Brees.

The defense is still under development. As we're seeing them improve on 3rd down, I'd like to see more attacking in the scheme as well. We shall see

Our defense is good where it matters. Belichick has never been about ints and sacks, which is what the pressure based Defenses like the Jets, Ravens and Packers are. The pats just focus on taking away what the opposing offense likes to do. And for three weeks, they've done a good job of that.

I beg to differ. This D was INT/sack crazy in 03-04 (not INT crazy in 04, but still decent due to the pressure) Any good defense attacks. Thats why Baltimore's is so good. They don't sit and wait for a pick. They punch you in the mouth when you run and they rush your QB into mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back