PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

hypothetical trade scenario: Larry Fitzgerald or Tamba Hali?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

For our 1st & 3rd would you trade for:

• Larry Fitzgerald (WR Cardinals)

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • Tamba Hali (OLB Chiefs)

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • Someone else (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • No trades - aquisitions only through the draft and FA

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: hypothetical trade scenario

Hali or Asomugha.

Easily it would be Hali. He is familiar with the Pats' system and could step in right away. He would easily be the best OLB the Pats have had since McGinest or possibly Tippett. He is great vs. the run and the pass. Can play the Elephant role of being an OLB in the 3-4 and DE in sub packages.

Personally, I think he is my dream selection over any other free agents. I would want him over Fitzgerald who is more of a luxury than a need.

I know what a 4-3/3-4 Leo position is. What exactly is an Elephant position in a 3-4 2 gap system?
Also, Did Mike Vrabel play that position after Willie left?
Thanks

hali, but he will probably be franchised.

i like fitzgerald and he would look great in a patriots uniform but the patriots are already averaging 30 points per game against every team not named the new york jets and tom brady was back to 2007 form in the dink and dunk offense.

This offense needs to solidify their O-line and it all starts with resigning Mankins, this team needs to be able to run the ball with greater success if they want to beat the jets because revis will take fitzgerald away like he has before.

I would rather see them use the 17th and another pick. hopefully one of the 3rds to move up in the first round to get Von Miller from Texas A&M. He is a monster.

Von Miller has been getting handled by TEs and Tackles at Senior Bowl practices. I think OLB is where we need to go but starting to think there is better value with DE cam Jordan from cal who can play the 5.

Von Miller has been getting handled by TEs and Tackles at Senior Bowl practices. I think OLB is where we need to go but starting to think there is better value with DE cam Jordan from cal who can play the 5.

Link?
I heard the opposite.
Methinks there is trouble on the horizon with Mankins. If he wants $10m ($8m + what he lost last year)I would easily go after Fitzgerald.

This is my favorite time of the year to aggravate some who feel their opinions weigh much more than anybody else. They will be first responders here. Hypothetical gentlemen!

I don't know if the Mankins situation is lost. If so, an idea for a blockbuster helps both teams, is realistic and a win for both in personnel issues. The Pats and Cards.
Faneca will be 35 an no longer playing at a high leveL and he was signed for only one year at $2.5m, so is is a FA. Mankins is certainly an upgrade.

Fitz is ready to move on.

DE Darnell Dockett would be coveted here. He has the right length, is a high motor guy and can rush the passer and is signed for four years. He is 29.

Adrian Wilson I put up as one of the smarter Safeties in the league. He has range and size. He is 31 so he has a few good years left. He is 6'3" and 230 and has ball skills. He calls their DB plays. We have to rely on the least talented Safety we have in Sanders (who had a decent year but is still a coverage liability) for that. Wilson is signed through 2013.

All of our Safeties are short. Page is the tallest at 6'. Sanders is only 5'10" all the rest are only 5'11". When you have Edwards, Floyd, Calvin Johnson etc., we are not competing against that skill set on jump balls or fades when the Safety has to help out.

My idea (my opinion) is a neat blockbuster.
Mankins (FA NOW), Merriweather (FA 2012 NEXT YEAR), Tate (THEY WOULD NEED A WR BACK) and the Vikings 4th rounder for Fitzgerald (SIGNED BUT MORE YEARS BY EXTENSION), Dockett (SIGNED) and Wilson (SIGNED).

I'd start at the fourth round but go to a first if I had to make this deal. We have to contend with Mankins this year and then Merriweather (WHO HIS AGENT WILL ATTEST WAS A PRO BOWLER IN 2010 WHICH WE ALL QUESTION HERE, SO HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT WHEN HE ASKS FOR THE $) next year.

So we get Fitz, Dockett and Wilson
They get Mankins, Merriweather and Tate (we have to give them some WR value) and probably a first rounder (start at 4th).

The question is, with the Mankins situation surely a killer, what is the best for the Pats going forward?

I think Chung and Wilson with Sanders at swing and STs, would be a better set of Safeties.

Dockett solves some of the DE issues and pass rush.

Fitz is just too talented to pass up and is a Team kid.

Now go Draft OL G (I like G Danny Watkins or Moffitt), OT (one of the top three and I like Gabe C.) and a OLB and I do think Miller is special. Pick up a RB and a Safety like this kid Sands of WV later on and it was a great off-season if we have to forfeit Mankins.

Is it a bad deal for the Cards? No they will lose Fitz anyway and now get a top pick and players.

Bad for us? Nope.

DW Toys

Last edited:

Boston.com senior bowl quick hits III. I have been watching the practices he does not look great to me. Casey Mathews looks really Quick but small. The Offensive linemen look like a deep group along with D-line.Might be some sleeper WRs too.

x2

this is possibly the best 3 sentences I have read on here in a few days.
Well done sir :rocker:

For the record, my choice would be Hali as well. We need that pass rush like a crack head needs crack ha. My dream scenario would have us grabbing a DE at 17, making a trade for Hali and grabbig a C/G at 33.

Unfortunately far too much comes down to how the CBA negotiations are going - I don't see this as a year when too many owners want to commit big signing bonuses to sign new free agents unless there is a new CBA - would Bob Kraft go against the tide and commit the cash prior to a lockout year? I suppose if Belichick told him it was enough of a priority he would (as was the case with Brady)

So we get Fitz, Dockett and Wilson
They get Mankins, Merriweather and Tate (we have to give them some WR value) and probably a first rounder (start at 4th).

Are you kidding me? We would be bending Arizona over and robbing them blind in that trade. They're not going to give up Dockett and Wilson in addition to Fitzgerald. Sounds nice in theory. But no GM would be dumb enough to agree to that trade. Matt Millen doesn't run the Cards.

I do think that Tate and a 1st rounder for Fitzgerald sounds like a fair offer. Tate would essentially replace Breaston for the Cards, and with the 1st rounder they could look to draft a new wideout.

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? We would be bending Arizona over and robbing them blind in that trade. They're not going to give up Dockett and Wilson in addition to Fitzgerald. Sounds nice in theory. But no GM would be dumb enough to agree to that trade. Matt Millen doesn't run the Cards.

I do think that Tate and a 1st rounder for Fitzgerald sounds like a fair offer. Tate would essentially replace Breaston for the Cards, and with the 1st rounder they could look to draft a new wideout.

Fair enough.
DW Toys

I thought the comp for a franchise player was two number ones.

Hali might be worth it. And KC might not match for that price. It would be the #28 this year and figure close to that next year. The pats would then probably trade 33 into next year.

I thought the comp for a franchise player was two number ones.

Hali might be worth it. And KC might not match for that price. It would be the #28 this year and figure close to that next year. The pats would then probably trade 33 into next year.

That is the comp for signing another team's franchise player. But if it's a trade, other terms can be negotiated. For example, the Chiefs franchised Jared Allen, but traded him to Minnesota for a 1st and 2 3rds. Another example is when the Pats traded Cassel with Vrabel for a 2nd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back