PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hoyer finds a mentor and role model in Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoyer finds a mentor and role model in Tom Brady by Robert Lee of the Providence Journal

“To come in and just see how he approaches and how he thinks about things, and then to come out and watch him practice has really helped me out,” Hoyer said. “It is hard enough as it is, but when you have a guy who is as experienced as he is, who knows the [playbook] like the back of his hand, and you just see the way he goes through his progression and you see how he affects people with his eyes, it has really helped. You just have to try to emulate that.”

Hoyer said that Brady has taken him under his wing and given him valuable advice during training camp.

“I try not to annoy him,” Hoyer said, “but for a guy who has so much knowledge in football and about this offense, if I have a question, I don’t hesitate to ask him. But a lot of times I can learn just by watching him and seeing the way he moves in the pocket. His footwork, the fact that he knows this offense like the back of his hand, it is impressive to watch. It is good to try to emulate him and try to be like him.

“For a guy to have the success that he’s had in this offense, I try to do everything he does.”

I really feel this Hoyer kid deserves to be on the roster, and I am interested in seeing him play in a few days vs. Philly...

Last edited:
There are a LOT of really good players, but not so many GREAT players. The really great ones usually have a pretty good ego as well. You can't get to the top without a good ego.

However, they also know how to set that ego aside and listen and watch and emulate. They never stop trying to improve, to get the straight gouge and maybe a bit more of an edge.

There's no way Hoyer makes this team ...

Oh ... he might if he's somehow injured for the year. :rolleyes:

I can remember watching Hoyer during the second day of the draft, I was rooting for the guy then just to be drafted. He kinda became my binky on accident as I really hadn't even thought of him as a pats prospect prior to that day.

1st preseason game hoyer throws a post route for a TD to terrance nunn lol

This thread is worthless without Michigan Dave going nuts about Hoyer....:D

When I reviewed the draft opinions of the QBs, one thing stood out to me. Not just one but several Scouts said he had a minimal but acceptable NFL arm, but more than one remarked that he had POISE.:snob:

That is a magic word to me in scouting QBs. I believe that Quarterbacking is 90% a mental game and only 10% a physical game, yet the scouts measure the athletic attributes of an arm and go gah gah over a cannon like arm. Irrespective if it is guided by a moronic brain.

I can think of many a QB who had poor arm yet succeeded, like Billy Kilmer, Joe Kapp, Brian Sipe, and Chad Pennington. And a lot of losers with canon-strong arms but weak minds that failed. Like Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Bobby Douglas etc.

Hoyer's highest aspiration this year is simply to make the Practice Squad, and learn the mental aspects of NFL quarterbacking. Then he might be able to match up against the canon-arms, by using his head.

the guy has earned a spot on the ps. no 53 for him. and if he doesn't make it through waivers, then too bad. i don't think we'll lose much sleep.

There's no way Hoyer makes this team ...

Oh ... he might if he's somehow injured for the year. :rolleyes:

Yea it seems like half our rookies every year get mysteroiusly injured

the guy has earned a spot on the ps. no 53 for him. and if he doesn't make it through waivers, then too bad.

I tend to agree, pending preseason performances. He hasn't been a notable camp standout.

Yea it seems like half our rookies every year get mysteroiusly injured

Here's a fun exercise: think back on all of the Pats rookies who looked promising in camp but were on the bubble due to numbers, then were "mysteriously injured," sent to IR, and returned to make the team the next year. Like...umm...err...

I saw Hoyer play vs. Purdue last year. If I remember I'll post one of the pictures on here tonight.

It's cool to see so many peeps on here thinking Hoyer will stay on the roster. When I told my bro that the Pats signed Hoyer, even he (a Michigan State alum) said they probably just signed him as camp fodder so Brady wouldn't have to make all the throws.

Of course. He's going to learn from a Michigan QB afterall. In State, he had to rely on Ringer a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft