PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to win on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chiefs' passing defense statistics are suspect when you look at their opponents' QBs.

In their 11-game winning streak, they faced Ostweiler with Denver, Landry Jones with Pittsburgh, Jimmy Clausen with Baltimore, Manziel with the Browns, Hoyer with the Texans, etc. Rivers with SD, David Carr with the Raiders, Stafford with the Lions, and Tyrod Taylor with the Bills are the only starters they beat. Taylor threw three TD passes at Arrowhead and they squeaked by the Raiders at home 23-17.

They shut down the 4-12 Chargers twice in their winning streak, which may be the best example of how they play the Patriots. Rivers threw for over 4700 yards and had 29 passing TDs in 2015. He completed 66% of his passes. Brady's stats are similar. Rivers was sacked 40 times, Brady 38.

The Chiefs haven't seen an offense as good as the Patriots' in months. The Broncos, Bengals and Packers all hung 31+ points on the Chiefs' vaunted passing defense in weeks 2-4 with Manning, Dalton and Rodgers each finding a 100+ yard receiver. Rodgers threw for 5 TDs and Manning threw 3 TD passes.

If the Patriots, with a full complement of receivers, can look like semblance of themselves, they should do fine against these guys. Like everyone has said, the OL has to do their job.

Last edited:
Weather won't be a factor. Temp around 38 no rain at game time. I was hoping for snow and cold.

Andrews at C
at least for lucky charm

With Dontari Poe?

That front seven includes Poe, Hali, Houston, Howard, and Derrick Johnson as their defensive leader.

I want whatever combination of IOL gives us the best chance, and if that includes having Andrews play C so Stork can play G, I'm fine with that.

Honestly, I'm skeptical of Andrews getting many looks, though. I suppose the injury to Tre Jackson is something to keep an eye, but I bet Kline is back at LG for the most part.

Weather won't be a factor. Temp around 38 no rain at game time. I was hoping for snow and cold.

If true, that would be much better than the cold, possibly even freezing rain at times that was predicted by a couple of different weather sites.

I can't decide who it would benefit more, but I don't like weird variables thrown in. My concern would be for the short passing game.

With Dontari Poe?

That front seven includes Poe, Hali, Houston, Howard, and Derrick Johnson as their defensive leader.

I want whatever combination of IOL gives us the best chance, and if that includes having Andrews play C so Stork can play G, I'm fine with that.

Honestly, I'm skeptical of Andrews getting many looks, though. I suppose the injury to Tre Jackson is something to keep an eye, but I bet Kline is back at LG for the most part.
With injuries to their edge rushers the DL has slowed considerably (no sacks since Nov?). Poe is a concern and too much for Andrews. Looking for Kline, Stork and Jackson inside. Jackson was drafted with a chronic knee injury that they have been managing all year, and I would guess that we are seeing more of that. So I have:
Vollmer, Kline, Stork, Jackson Cannon. Of course we have seen more OL combinations than you can shake a stick at, so this like playing powerball.

Keys to the Game:

1.) Run the Ball
2.) Stop the Run
3.) Convert Third Downs
4.) Score Early and Often

Just kidding, as for my real thoughts, I think we are in for a real battle. These Chiefs remind me somewhat of the 2003 Patriots when we were beating all challengers but were not given much credit. We kept winning but on paper our roster didn't look intimidating, it was the collective unit that just kept 'making plays when they needed to be made'. This KC team is gelling in that same fashion right now, and factor in that our team has been reeling lately. I'm hoping that home field advantage and the return of Edelman are enough to get us out of our funk.

I'd prefer a relaxing game like last year's AFC Championship, but I have a feeling it will be a nail biter throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes