PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to win on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
KC is ranked 16th if you filter by Yards Per Attempt rather than total yards. During this 11 game streak they've jumped out to two possession leads pretty quickly in just about every game which has led teams to not run the ball as much as they should have.

In the playoffs you don't usually find teams with large weaknesses (except the Colts) but our team tends to take whatever weakness it can find and turn it into as large of a weakness as possible. I think you have to start with the run game.

You can start there if you wish. I'm just telling you to not expect that to happen. New England's run blocking this season has been near atrocious and their lead back will be Steven Jackson, a free agent nobody wanted to pick up that they signed late in the season. The Patriots will use the quick passing game to supplement the running game and use the latter as a change of pace. The OL can't open holes against the run but they can hold up in pass protection for two seconds or less. Expect a lot of one back and empty sets to start the game.

There are a lot of small things they should try to do but as far as macro picture it is this

Go even or better in turnovers
Limit penalties
Play pretty well at least (something like their B game should be enough... C game might get them beat though)

If those 3 things are accomplished the Patriots win.

Have to make sure those balls are properly deflated. Otherwise, no chance of victory.

A difference of a few PSI and they might not even be able to play with the balls at all! People underestimate the importance of suspending the laws of physics.

The Chiefs present the Patriots with several challenges.

1. The pass rush. KC has an excellent pass rush, finishing 4th in the NFL in sacks with 47. They don't do it with one dominant player you can scheme around. They do it from all over, with 7 players accumulating at least 4 sacks on the season. They come at you from all directions, with speed and power. The Patriots' offensive line has had all sorts of problems late in the year dealing with good defensive fronts, and the Chiefs will present a major obstacle for them. The OL will have to play a very good game for the Pats to win.

I think this OL combination would go a far way in relieving the Patriots problems in the trenches.

Vollmer - Mason - Andrews - Stork - Waddle.

That ^starting five should keep the turnsyles on the bench like Cannon - Kline and Flemming:rolleyes: who is a mismatch against anybody on that Chiefs front. They made the Miami Front 7 minus Cameron Wake look like the 85 Bears D. That said I hope BB and Gugs play the guys on the OL that gives them the best chance to win.

I think this OL combination would go a far way in relieving the Patriots problems in the trenches.

Vollmer - Mason - Andrews - Stork - Waddle.

That ^starting five should keep the turnsyles on the bench like Cannon - Kline and Flemming:rolleyes: who is a mismatch against anybody on that Chiefs front. They made the Miami Front 7 minus Cameron Wake look like the 85 Bears D. That said I hope BB and Gugs play the guys on the OL that gives them the best chance to win.

I do wonder if Waddle will play. What has he done with this team? Is he 100% healthy and how much has he practiced to this point?

1. Short, quick passes. The time the Pats' have taken to throw with Edelman out has been significantly longer than when he was playing. His presence changes how the Patriots attack defenses. The OL will not likely be able to hold up for a long time, so the Pats will have to get the ball out quickly. Of course, expect the Chiefs to play press coverage and try to disrupt the Pats' pass routes. So the Pats should counter by running Edelman in motion and use a lot of, ahem, pick plays to free their receivers up. Short, quick darts all over the field. The Pats will need to adopt a game plan like they employed against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

2. James White isolated in space. Take advantage of the aggressive Chiefs' pass rush and get the ball to White in space. He has shown excellent pass-catching ability. Get him in space and make the Chiefs cover him one-on-one, and White should win most of those battles.

Totally agree with the game plan we used against Seattle James White could play that Shane Vereen role because with Edelmam and Gronk drawing the coverage we should move White around to indentify the coverage. We could use him some on delay routes too hope he stays on his feet. In limited opportunities White has been our most improved Offensive player. His numbers stood-out at he end of the year Whites stock is pointing up...glad I was wrong about him.

I do wonder if Waddle will play. What has he done with this team? Is he 100% healthy and how much has he practiced to this point?

Remember after being claimed just days before his last game he was playing in the rotation it didn't take him long to earn BB's trust. Ofcourse he wasn't beating out much but I think he's an upgrade over what we have. I think he had a shoulder injury or stinger when last we saw him. He has had a couple of weeks off so I think he's good to go.

Remember after being claimed just days before his last game he was playing in the rotation it didn't take him long to earn BB's trust. Ofcourse he wasn't beating out much but I think he's an upgrade over what we have. I think he had a shoulder injury or stinger when last we saw him. He has had a couple of weeks off so I think he's good to go.

he didn't earn anyones trust.........he was the only guy left on the bench

the Lions let him go.....nuff said

If that's the plan we might be in for a long night. We have only been doing 1 of those 3 things well lately.

anyone else a bit worried about the weather? if we're trying the short passing game... that includes a lot of quick bullet passes in traffic. not ideal in rain. I'm really hoping it's snow, not rain

I'm just going to come out and say it: this KC defense is nowhere near as good as Seattle's defense this year or last year. Our offense isn't as good as ours last year but with Edelman and Amendola back we can hope it will be.

I'm just going to come out and say it: this KC defense is nowhere near as good as Seattle's defense this year or last year. Our offense isn't as good as ours last year but with Edelman and Amendola back we can hope it will be.

Naw i think the kc defense's legit. Our guys are gonna have to beat man coverage. The o line needs to protect brady well.

Expect a lot of one back and empty sets to start the game.

Hopefully, Jackson will have had time to get in sync with the route tree so he can be part of the passing attack instead of the automatic tip off to the D that when he's in - run and when White's in pass. (And when Bolden's in...naaaah, let's assume he's not and just in on special teams)

anyone else a bit worried about the weather? if we're trying the short passing game... that includes a lot of quick bullet passes in traffic. not ideal in rain. I'm really hoping it's snow, not rain

Is that the game plan, though? If mere PatsFans members are able to guess our game plan that isn't giving BB much credit ;)

Why do we need Collins and Hightower to be blitzing? I say keep them focused on stopping the run and prevent Smith from getting to kelce, he doesn't have many options without maclin

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I thnk we can run on KC. I'd try and get a decently respectable rushing attack (3-5 yards a carry) early. If we don't, it makes their DL and OLB's job incredibly easy: pin the ears back and let it rip.

It's going to be a tough first couple of quarters, so please keep that in mind in the game thread. I expect our team to wear KC down and score a lot in the second half.

I agree but I think we're gonna run draws or delayed handoffs. Play to the aggressive nature of their pass rush.

Quick motion routes to get the little guys open.
Gronk running seams to open the middle. - Rodney Harrison seemed to think Gronk could beat up on Eric Berry if he covers him.
Have Michael Williams run a couple wham blocks into Poe to tire him out.

I think this game may be low scoring though. Our D is going to handle them, especially if Maclin is out. Our O has been so lethargic lately, and Edelman SHOULD fix that.

My only hope is that we stay away from jump balls down the sideline to Chandler.

IMHO there are two obvious keys to this game: (A) Our run D making KC have to consistently throw the ball to move the chains (less TOP for KC/more offensive chances for Patriots). (B) OL gives Brady Ok to decent protection.

We get both and we are back to first half of the season rolling! We get one and not the other we still are better than 50/50 to win. We fall down on both and we will be fighting uphill all game.
((penalties and stupid unforced errors not withstanding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes