PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Many Contributers Should We Expect?

I expect at least one of our non factor '09 draftees to step up this year. Chung is the most likely but Tate (if healthy), Brace or McKenzie could too.

For the '10 draft, I expect no less than 2 contributors, honestly 3 as it's such a deep draft. With a 1 and three 2s, if we use them all I'd like to hit on 3 out of 4. By "contributors" I mean no less than what we got from Butler this year.

I actually expect a little more from BB. I expect he will uncover 1 diamond in the rough somewhere in rounds 5- 7 by finding a player unique to our scheme.

I actually expect a little more from BB. I expect he will uncover 1 diamond in the rough somewhere in rounds 5- 7 by finding a player unique to our scheme.
You're right that there's a pretty good chance of that. I'm not going to expect it, though, although we have more potential holes than normal where a sleeper could find his way into the lineup.

I want two on offense (receiver/TE and RB), and two on Defense (ILB and OLB) but Corner is another possibility.

Johnson is the only OG ready to start in the nfl?

But how many were contributors in their rookie season?

If everybody wants this team improved by next season, then we need immediate returns.

Disregarding our FA's for a moment, here are the players available in this draft, and the positions they play, that can come in and start for us immediately or upgrade an existing position:

Suh at DE
Berry at FS
Okrung at ROT
Haden at CB or nickel/dime back
Davis at ROT
Cody at NT
McClain at ILB
Bulaga at ROT
Johnson at OG
Wooten at DE (Knee injury needs investigation)
Odrick at DE
Spiller at KR
Tebow at FB
Sapp at OLB/pass rusher
Shipley at kick holder
Zoltan at P

The first three will be off the board early. All the rest BB has a shot at them. But how much is he wiling to pay for going and get them.

But how many were contributors in their rookie season?

If everybody wants this team improved by next season, then we need immediate returns.

Disregarding our FA's for a moment, here are the players available in this draft, and the positions they play, that can come in and start for us immediately or upgrade an existing position:

Suh at DE
Berry at FS
Okrung at ROT
Haden at CB or nickel/dime back
Davis at ROT
Cody at NT
McClain at ILB
Bulaga at ROT
Johnson at OG
Wooten at DE (Knee injury needs investigation)
Odrick at DE
Spiller at KR
Tebow at FB
Sapp at OLB/pass rusher
Shipley at kick holder
Zoltan at P

The first three will be off the board early. All the rest BB has a shot at them. But how much is he wiling to pay for going and get them.

I would strongly doubt that Ricky Sapp can step in and start for us day 1 at OLB/pass rusher. Not sure anyone could. I do think Carlos Dunlap or Derrick Morgan would get major playing time at 4-3 DE day 1, and that BB would find a way to use them.

I think that Mike Iupati could step in day 1 at OG and start, and possibly Vlad Ducasse and Maurkice Pouncey (at guard, not center).

I think that Jonathan Dwyer could step in day 1 and start for us at RB.

Given how small this list is, I would think that we would need to position ourselves to pick three times in the first 42 to give us the best shot at replacing Neal, Green and Thomas with players who can step right in.

Hopefully other immediate needs would be met in free agency.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back