PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How long will starters play tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Brady as "starters", I'm guessing

1 series tonight (Maybe a second if the first is 3-and-out)
1 or 1+ quarters game 2
1 half plus 1 drive game 3
Not playing game 4

Last edited:
I keep seeing "makeshift OL" and "if they hold up". Last time I checked we still have the best OL coach in football who always has his guys prepared. Like he's never dealt with adversity?

I keep seeing "makeshift OL" and "if they hold up". Last time I checked we still have the best OL coach in football who always has his guys prepared. Like he's never dealt with adversity?

The best OL coach in football is irrelevant. He still has to put the right guys on the field. Right now, we're looking at undrafted FA's and second and third stringers on the starting unit due to health concerns. If that's not the definition of "makeshift", then I don't know what is. But yeah, coach 'em up Dante!

I expect Brady to stay in all game and run the score up.

Wait, we're talking about the Super Bowl, right?

For this game I expect him to play so much that I just handed my tix to a colleague gratis.

Using Brady as "starters", I'm guessing

1 series tonight (Maybe a second if the first is 3-and-out)
1 or 1+ quarters game 2
1 half plus 1 drive game 3
Not playing game 4

I'll ditto that, minus the one series tonight. Every preseason is different, and my hunch is that this year is not a starters-in-game-1 preseason. With just 1 significant new skill player to integrate into the offense and with an OL that can't field the same 5 guys 2 days in a row, I'm guessing they wait until next week. And that Brady fumes about it. :)

Maybe you haven't read the latest confirmations he will play tonight. Blind Squirrel Breer brought up a valid point. Brady calls lots of protections and because he may yet end up playing with some or all of this OL out of the gate when the games matter he has to build some rapore with them, too.

I'm also guessing that with the odd timing of the pre season schedule, he will play close to a quarter in week 4 because of the ten day lag between that game and opening day. May not play as much as usual in week 3 as a result of the bunching of the scheduling of games 2-3-4.

Last edited:
I think he'd love to play Brady for a quarter, but the OL situation probably won't allow for that. Still expect to see a series or two unless it appears so chaotic out of the gate he can't risk it. I expect to see Hoyer get extended reps also unless protection becomes so problematic it's Hammer time. Expect to see what passes for our first team OL out there long after NO first team DL has finished for the evening though because they need the reps with all the starters missing. He could always pull a fast one on Vitt and bring the 1st string O back in the second half if he just wanted an opportunity to work on timing and rhythm.

they will pull hoyer to protect him if the OL is struggling? mmmmmkay

Brady: I'd be surprised if he plays more than one, maybe two series. But it's decisions like this for which BB gets paid the big bucks; to weigh the risks, advantages, team needs, etc.

I'd also be surprised if BB's doing anything but seeing how Hoyer and/or Mallett handle the offense; I doubt he'd be showcasing either one at this stage, but just being sure they're ready. Maybe his agenda would be to showcase Mallett in game four, where Brady's play is usually limited, if he feels things are otherwise in good shape.

I expect Brady to stay in all game and run the score up.

Wait, we're talking about the Super Bowl, right?

For this game I expect him to play so much that I just handed my tix to a colleague gratis.

Who's Gratis?

I'm excited as if it was a playoff game.

There we two key aspects that the Pats had under McDaniels that they didn't use so much under O'Brien, the screen game and downfield shots. With this OL, I hope Brady is practicing the former rather than the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes