Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Next 3-4 Years

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • Next 5-6 Years

Votes: 25 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get annoyed when people talk about Jimmy G as if there won't be an insanely appreciable drop off from his play even from an aging Brady. We've been spoiled by Brady's play. We're talking about one of the greatest QBs to ever. His value over Garapollo is massive. We saw this in 2008 when Cassel played well with the greatest offensive artillery this team has ever had, but the offense scored 7 less points a game and couldn't beat a good team. A TD a game difference between Brady & JG would actually be towards best case scenario. It's just as likely JG becomes the next O'Connell or Mallet at this point then he is the next Steve Young.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that JG is better than either O'Connel(?) or Mallet already. And I guarantee you that the Pats know.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think that JG is better than either O'Connel(?) or Mallet already. And I guarantee you that the Pats know.

The Patriots might know, but how would we know? Because he's played slightly above mediocre in garbage time against 3rd string D's? He wasn't impressive when I saw him in camp, though I understand he played better towards the end. O'Connell was the future when we drafted him, and Mallet too - and people actually thought Cassell should stay and Brady should go, and people thought Hoyer was legitimate before we outright cut him....etc, etc. Heck Matt Gutierrez killed it in the preseason.

We don't know anything about the guy other than the Patriots value him as a legitimate backup QB, just as we did every other player I have just mentioned who is no longer with the team.

JG might have the best preseason stats out of them - but its premature to suggest he is or is going to be an NFL caliber starting QB. The people we are comparing him to have had little to no success in the NFL, particularly compared to the player people want him to replace.

Last edited:
The Patriots might know, but how would we know? Because he's played slightly above mediocre in garbage time against 3rd string D's? He wasn't impressive when I saw him in camp, though I understand he played better towards the end. O'Connell was the future when we drafted him, and Mallet too - and people actually thought Cassell should stay and Brady should go, and people thought Hoyer was legitimate before we outright cut him....etc, etc. Heck Matt Gutierrez killed it in the preseason.

We don't know anything about the guy other than the Patriots value him as a legitimate backup QB, just as we did every other player I have just mentioned who is no longer with the team.

JG might have the best preseason stats out of them - but its premature to suggest he is or is going to be an NFL caliber starting QB. The people we are comparing him to have had little to no success in the NFL, particularly compared to the player people want him to replace.
We shall see. O'Connell was cut after one season and never played another down in the NFL. I highly doubt that fate will befall JG.

We shall see. O'Connell was cut after one season and never played another down in the NFL. I highly doubt that fate will befall JG.

I agree JG is clearly better than O'Connell. But - to this point - they are still on the same order of magnitude, as is Cassell, as is Mallet, as is Hoyer. Brady is not.

I still haven't seen the decline yet...with manning it was easy to see..so who knows when it happens with Brady

I still haven't seen the decline yet...with manning it was easy to see..so who knows when it happens with Brady

Denver has been paying Manning $19M a year these past three years, and will pay him again in 2015 if he wants to come back. When did Manning decline so much that he isn't a favorite to lead DEN to the playoffs?

I's love to see the Pats/Brady make 2-3 more serious go's at it. Hopefully, the team will throw some more ridiculous "weapons" out there and set the scoring machine in motion. Pity the Hernandez situation worked out the way it did...also taxing the team's strategy (in terms of time/money) of using the two TE's the way they were. It would be really cool to see another LaFell join the mix...maybe even an RB and/or TE that want to see ole number 12 go out with a lot of points (i.e. all offensive guns a blazin). Of course, this would be quite dominant with such a budding defense.

Denver has been paying Manning $19M a year these past three years, and will pay him again in 2015 if he wants to come back. When did Manning decline so much that he isn't a favorite to lead DEN to the playoffs?
This year. The last 6 games of the season he was no longer Peyton Manning, he was the Corpse of Peyton Manning.

3 years. Retires at 40

I haven't seen any decline yet. With other QBs it has been so obvious. Favre looked like a punching bag. Manning's noodle arm turned to jelly. But Brady still looks like Brady and he takes such excellent care of himself.

So I'd say, about this long:

HK_Central_IFC_mall_glass_window_wall_view_Terrace_May_2013.JPG

It's tough to stick to what I said right after Garoppolo was drafted after seeing 37 year old Brady tear apart the LOB, but I'll do it anyway:

I'm still going with history that age 36-39 is where 95+% of QBs decline rapidly (exceptions are Favre and Moon). I also still believe in Jimmy G after what we've seen. Garoppolo will be our starting QB in 2016 and Brady will either be retired or in San Fran.

I guess I'll update this by saying if Brady goes back to back, maybe he retires Elway style with 5 rings.

Also, Brady is clearly our QB next year, but IMO we will have two starting caliber QBs in 2015 training camp: The best QB in the NFL and a solid starter. Jimmy G will be light years better than the disaster he was during last year's camp sessions I attended.
If Brady does not retire, a Patriot there is something wrong and it will be a failure that Belichick and Kraft will never be able to overcome. Brady has done more for this franchise than any NFL player has ever done in history with his winning and his willingness to sacrifice for financially for the good of the team. Jimmy Garoppollo had better get comfortable with that clipboard because Brady will be here until he says otherwise.

one for the thumb...give him a few more seasons. To bad he'll have to wait ~20+ years to start drawing social security...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference