PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is a #1 Target in today's NFL?

Why are we in CAP jail? Who is all of our money going to when we have no pro bowl talent on the offensive side of the ball?

You mean those outrageous contracts to mediocre TEs? (After we just drafted two TEs busts in third round who are no longer on the team?)

Cap Jail isn’t real it’s a joke.

Why are elite players like Hill and Adams jettisoned? You pay the QB … every other position is a search for value. Building to win a SB in one year is likely to lose - too many bad things happen in a given year. But build a team to compete every year and your chances of striking gold increase.
Adams wanted to play elsewhere. Packers offered him a huge deal but Adams wanted to be closer to his family.

Why are elite players like Hill and Adams jettisoned? You pay the QB … every other position is a search for value. Building to win a SB in one year is likely to lose - too many bad things happen in a given year. But build a team to compete every year and your chances of striking gold increase.

Ok so we’ve got some revisionist history here. Green Bay offered Adams just as much money as the Raiders. Adams didn’t want to sign a contract in Green Bay because Rodgers is not only a dic.khead but a retirement flight risk.

And Tyreek? Do you really really not see the one or two major non-football related characteristics about the man that makes it a risk to write a giant ass guaranteed money check to him?

I’d say huge, Diggs transformed Allen into a next level QB.

Two thoughts as to the OP's question:

A.) For me it is a question of X production vs. Y dollars. Who would help the Pats more: Davante Adams at ~27M/year or a combo of Judon, Barmore, Dugger, McCourty, etc...? The cap dictates these things.

B.) Randy Moss, Man....

So you are saying no number 1 and no possession receiver?
Oohh come on :rofl:

It's not Meyers fault everyone else is trash lol

Yes sir. Meyers has been solid to start the season, but I'm not sure about him moving forward. Hopefully he proves me wrong
Move Meyers into the Amendola role moving Bourne into the starters role and I think we create those advantageous matchups in a couple ways. One it may start to get Mac away from his "lock on" tendency bringing some of those other pass catchers into play (like Henry for example who is a plus pass catcher for his position) and two it likely puts Meyers into more situations where he's now lined up against a 3CB or even S especially in critical down and distance situations. He's faced some double teams now this year because teams know that Jones is tunneling on Meyers quite a bit.

This isn't a knock on Meyers - as again he's played very well, but at the same time that play has limitations (not just with him) that could be turned into advantages.

Move Meyers into the Amendola role moving Bourne into the starters role and I think we create those advantageous matchups in a couple ways. One it may start to get Mac away from his "lock on" tendency bringing some of those other pass catchers into play (like Henry for example who is a plus pass catcher for his position) and two it likely puts Meyers into more situations where he's now lined up against a 3CB or even S especially in critical down and distance situations. He's faced some double teams now this year because teams know that Jones is tunneling on Meyers quite a bit.

This isn't a knock on Meyers - as again he's played very well, but at the same time that play has limitations (not just with him) that could be turned into advantages.
Great post Mac is locking on to Meyers you can see that on multiple plays missing guys intermediate to deep. Mac is playing like a Rookie this year he's not comfortable with this new Offense.

Great post Mac is locking on to Meyers you can see that on multiple plays missing guys intermediate to deep. Mac is playing like a Rookie this year he's not comfortable with this new Offense.
It's not just with Meyers. He's locking on to the play's primary receiver too often. In particular you can also see him doing it on the plays called for Parker and Smith... combined 11 targets, 4 completions, 2 INTs.

I have never been enamored with offenses that rely heavily on the "50-50 ball" for explosiveness.

But there are special, generational players that turn the 50-50 ball into a 90-10 ball. Gronk, Moss, Rice, etc. Guys that are open when they don't appear to be open.

Clearly not every team has guys that tip the scale that much, nor can you depend on always having one of them. An uber-number 1, if you will. Not every champion will even have one. But when you do, you ride that ability.

Mahomes had Hill and Kelce, that’s 2 number ones, and still has Kelce.
Some quarterbacks can make it work with almost any receiving corps. Brady and Rodgers are obvious examples (however Rodgers hasn't been able to carry it through the postseasons). Mahomes and Allen also fit this category. Mahomes has had Hill and Kelce but you can see his unique skill set. Allen has taken off with Diggs however Allen is also reaching the full potential of his immense talent... he's going to rip the league apart this season. Watson can put up big numbers with anyone. Jackson too if you're including his rushing stats. Herbert and Burrow are probably a notch below the few quarterbacks in the very top tier... so 1a.

Then you have quarterbacks like Cousins, Carr and Mac Jones who are good but have limited ceilings and need top tier receivers to put up gaudy numbers. Winning is a different story. Cousins and Carr even when putting up flashy numbers haven't been winners. Watson is 28-25. Herbert and Burrow are a combined 5 games under .500. Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and Allen all have excellent regular season records... in large part do to themselves. So far Brady is the only quarterback in the history of the NFL to consistently put up great stats and win in both the regular season and postseason.

I have never been enamored with offenses that rely heavily on the "50-50 ball" for explosiveness.

But there are special, generational players that turn the 50-50 ball into a 90-10 ball. Gronk, Moss, Rice, etc. Guys that are open when they don't appear to be open.

Clearly not every team has guys that tip the scale that much, nor can you depend on always having one of them. An uber-number 1, if you will. Not every champion will even have one. But when you do, you ride that ability.
And that's where Catch Radius comes in BB himself said this about many Elite WR's and CB's Throw the football anywhere near them and they will get it. Parker have shown the ability though not in a Elite way that said Mac's ball placements leaves a lot to be desired. You have to throw it where either your guy or the sidelines get it. Mac's throws seems closer to the opponents.

Why are we in CAP jail? Who is all of our money going to when we have no pro bowl talent on the offensive side of the ball?

You mean those outrageous contracts to mediocre TEs? (After we just drafted two TEs busts in third round who are no longer on the team?)
Many in the media has asked that before "where's the money going?" Because of the poor drafts from 2013-2019, the Pats have dished out lots of money towards mid level players which ate up the cap. The good news is that they will have a lot of cap room after this season if I'm not mistaken. However, that doesn't mean they should go out and spend tons of money as that's not the way to build teams. It's always through the draft.

Many in the media has asked that before "where's the money going?" Because of the poor drafts from 2013-2019, the Pats have dished out lots of money towards mid level players which ate up the cap. The good news is that they will have a lot of cap room after this season if I'm not mistaken. However, that doesn't mean they should go out and spend tons of money as that's not the way to build teams. It's always through the draft.
Exhibit A: TE

It's not just with Meyers. He's locking on to the play's primary receiver too often. In particular you can also see him doing it on the plays called for Parker and Smith... combined 11 targets, 4 completions, 2 INTs.
This was a relatively mild concern of mine coming into his 1st year (see the Mac stats in the link below), but it didn't seem to be an issue last year. According to my calcs a while ago, I think that it was 12 for 39 on non 1st read passes his final college year if the info below is to be believed.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back