PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good are Ridley and Vereen at pass blocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salva135

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
vs. Law Firm?

I'll admit this is an area I have no knowledge of, but it could be an area of concern given the OL issues. Can anyone enlighten?

vs. Law Firm?

I'll admit this is an area I have no knowledge of, but it could be an area of concern given the OL issues. Can anyone enlighten?

We really didn't play BJGE a lot in passing situations. Usually Woodhead. Woodhead is a willing blocker, but gets overwhelmed because of his lack of size at times. I thought Vereen getting hurt hampered our offense last year. Because he's a versatile back. Can run, catch and block. Every young rb needs work on it though. Not too many finished products coming out of college.

We really didn't play BJGE a lot in passing situations. Usually Woodhead. Woodhead is a willing blocker, but gets overwhelmed because of his lack of size at times. I thought Vereen getting hurt hampered our offense last year. Because he's a versatile back. Can run, catch and block. Every young rb needs work on it though. Not too many finished products coming out of college.

Woodhead did a great job of pass pro yesterday when he was in there, taking on LB's successfully at least 3 times that I saw. He's evidently been working on it, and he clearly has the desire to improve. Still think he'll get run over by DT's, he just doesn't have the arm length, so he's effectively a lot short than (say) Faulk was

Woodhead did a great job of pass pro yesterday when he was in there, taking on LB's successfully at least 3 times that I saw. He's evidently been working on it, and he clearly has the desire to improve. Still think he'll get run over by DT's, he just doesn't have the arm length, so he's effectively a lot short than (say) Faulk was

Woodhead is as tough as they come but that will only get you so much. He's the best pass protector he can be, but he's still going to get tossed around by LB's who are 8 inches taller and 60+lbs heavier.

Technique will only protect the smaller guy if the bigger guy isn't trained, when both are on the same skill level the smaller guy is going to get beat in a pushing and shoving match.

Woodhead is as tough as they come but that will only get you so much. He's the best pass protector he can be, but he's still going to get tossed around by LB's who are 8 inches taller and 60+lbs heavier.

Technique will only protect the smaller guy if the bigger guy isn't trained, when both are on the same skill level the smaller guy is going to get beat in a pushing and shoving match.

Kevin Faulk wasn't much bigger and developed into a superb pass blocker. So it's not just about size, it's a lot about desire and technique. But Faulk's a little taller and has longer arms, which amounts to a considerable advantage in leverage. But Woody *doesn't* usually get tossed around by LB's. He executes cut blocks on blitzers pretty well. And last night he stood up LB's on 3 occasions, which is new for him. But I still think he gets run over by the DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST