PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel about last year NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
After the Super Bowl I felt that was the worst feeling I've ever had as a sports fan. To be so close to the immortality of being the ONLY team to have a perfect 19-0 season, and then to lose the Super Bowl in which we were heavily favored, in the manner in which we did, was a real kick in the kajunas. In other words, it hurt. Bad.

And the offseason felt long. Agonizingly long.

But, now that the 2008 season has finally started - well, at least preseason has - my feelings have changed somewhat. I have realized that even though we didn't "close the deal", it was still an amazing season. We accomplished a lot. A LOT. No other team has even been 18-0. No other team has ever won all 16 games in the regular season. Scoring records, individual and team, fell like bowling pins in a PBA championship match. And we did all that despite the distraction of the constant hate and jealousy about Spygate - the media harping, the inappropriate and morally questionable threats from Senator Specter, the Matt Walsh sideshow. And it if hadn't been for the false accusations by the Herald on the eve of the Super Bowl, which necessitated meetings between team and league officials when the coaches could have been preparing for the game, we might have won.

In short, I am still damn proud of what our team did, and as the pain of the Super Bowl loss fades into the past it is getting less painful. Time does heal all wounds.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way.

After the Super Bowl I felt that was the worst feeling I've ever had as a sports fan. To be so close to the immortality of being the ONLY team to have a perfect 19-0 season, and then to lose the Super Bowl in which we were heavily favored, in the manner in which we did, was a real kick in the kajunas. In other words, it hurt. Bad.

But, now that the 2008 season has finally started - well, at least preseason has - my feelings have changed somewhat. I have realized that even though we didn't "close the deal", it was still an amazing season. We accomplished a lot. A LOT. No other team has even been 18-0. No other team has ever won all 16 games in the regular season. Scoring records, individual and team, fell like bowling pins in a PBA championship match. And we did all that despite the distraction of the constant hate and jealousy about Spygate - the media harping, the inappropriate and morally questionable threats from Senator Specter, the Matt Walsh sideshow. And it if hadn't been for the false accusations by the Herald on the eve of the Super Bowl, which necessitated meetings between team and league officials when the coaches could have been preparing for the game, we might have won.

In short, I am still damn proud of what our team did, and as the pain of the Super Bowl loss fades into the past it is getting less painful. Time does heal all wounds.

I was watching one of those Season Recap's for the 2007 Patriots, It was an NFL Films production - I'm sure many of you have seen it.

They started with the Super Bowl and talked about how disappointing it was and then they said "The Patriots had one of the GREATEST Seasons in NFL history" - And NOW that about sums it up for me.

Yea, we can all talk about the disappointment and all that, I'm not talking about the game anymore, but in reality we did what ONE other team has done in 30+ years, I still hold on to the fact that EVERY YEAR some team wins the Super Bowl, but what we did last year is legendary now - No matter what the outcome.

It's another line item in a long list of accomplishments for our team.

Lets say this team at the end of the run has 4-5 (or more) SB's and a then you get to tag along a perfect regular season with that? Yea, teams in the future will be hard pressed to beat that group of accomplishments.

And of course there's always the trivia questions, "What professional sports team in history is the only team to ever open a season with an 18-0 record?"

I'm over the disappointment, to a degree, and I'm looking forward to 2008 and of course..embracing the hate.

Looking back now, I think overall the lost to the Colts in 06 was a harsher one to deal with. The Super Bowl was a hard fought game that either team could have won. The AFCCG we were up 21-6 and just sucked (defensively, at least) the entire second half.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

Last season was last season and don't care to look back. I'm looking forward to this season.

Looking back now, I think overall the lost to the Colts in 06 was a harsher one to deal with. The Super Bowl was a hard fought game that either team could have won. The AFCCG we were up 21-6 and just sucked (defensively, at least) the entire second half.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

Combine the SB loss with the Colt loss and throw in the Denver heartbreak..... I feel a little beat up, were it not for the first half of this decade, I would have taken a lethal injection.

So....it is really simple, win the freaking Superbowl this year and that will be the antidote I need.

I don't hate anyone, I kind of really am enjoying being despised by media and opposing palyers, coaches, fans etc. and the best way to answer them all is #4.

I am hoping for a "normal" SB run, maybe we start off the first half of the year losing a game or three and then catch fire in Nov. & Dec. carrying momentum right through to Tampa Bay in Feb., where they set records for a Superbowl domination. That will solidify this dynasty as greatest of all time.

One thing I these past three years should have reminded us all that started to take things for granted - it's really, really hard to get to and win a Superbowl. It did take NE 42 years after all for the first one.

I'm focused on this season.

Combine the SB loss with the Colt loss and throw in the Denver heartbreak..... I feel a little beat up, were it not for the first half of this decade, I would have taken a lethal injection.

So....it is really simple, win the freaking Super bowl this year and that will be the antidote I need.

I don't hate anyone, I kind of really am enjoying being despised by media and opposing players, coaches, fans etc. and the best way to answer them all is #4.

I am hoping for a "normal" SB run, maybe we start off the first half of the year losing a game or three and then catch fire in Nov. & Dec. carrying momentum right through to Tampa Bay in Feb., where they set records for a Super bowl domination. That will solidify this dynasty as greatest of all time.

One thing I these past three years should have reminded us all that started to take things for granted - it's really, really hard to get to and win a Super bowl. It did take NE 42 years after all for the first one.

It's football, we could suck and then what? At least we know we have something to look forward to in January.

I don't care what anyone says, all you can really hope for is a chance in the preseason - everything else is gravy.

I will admit that going 18-0 should be a golden ticket to an off-season of talking about a Lombardi and give Colt and Chargers fans 5 months of hell.

Winning the SB this year will obviously make me forget more about that disappointing loss. To not make it or lose it again would be incredibly upsetting for me.

I have to say that last year was a very strange year for me as a fan. The team was great (except for the last game) but there was so much poison and venom directed towards the franchise that it made it tough to really enjoy.
Mangini the rat started it and Tomasse the unethical reporter finished it. It was a tough year!

If you don't want to that's fine, but some of us do want to. I also look forward, and am eagerly anticipating what the new season may bring, but as a fan there is nothing wrong with talking about the past.

As a Buffalo Bills fan, believe me I can relate to what it's like to lose a Super Bowl ... or four. It is the worst feeling in the world and no talk of looking at the bright side and look what was accomplished makes it any better. I wanted to see the Patriots win that Super Bowl. I wanted to see 19-0, when is that ever going to happen again? The good news is that the Patriots are still the most talented team in the National Football League. They continue to play in weak division ... it's getting better but it's still weak. I would certianly expect them to be in the mix when the playoffs begin again as does every other football fan. I'd love to see them run through the league again without a loss, but the chances of that actually happening are minimal.

I feel we got full of ourselves, pass happy and lost the only game that counts, the last one.

Last year was an amazing season but there's still room for improvement, can't wait for the '08 season to start. :singing:

Man, are we spoiled. Some teams have never even sniffed a SB appearence and many others haven't been there in so long the majority of their fans weren't even born yet. The loss sucked but our continued dominance this decade has us being compared to other great dynasties.

I'll bet any Cardinal fan would give his left nut to witness his team have a season like us last year especially with a bright future still in front them.

The 2007 Pats were the culmination of everything the Belichick-era Patriots stood to defeat. The record-breaking, "unbeatable" teams like the Colts, Rams or Chargers. After 8 seasons of winning with an aggressive, physical style of play, the Patriots ultimately fell to an aggressive, physical team not unlike the '01 Pats.

I'll never get over the loss, you can't. The stakes were too high. However it was still a great year and adds to the Patriots' resume. SB appearance. 16-0. A million records. When people talk about this team in 20 years, it will be a mroe impressive story because of last year.

The 2007 Pats were the culmination of everything the Belichick-era Patriots stood to defeat. The record-breaking, "unbeatable" teams like the Colts, Rams or Chargers. After 8 seasons of winning with an aggressive, physical style of play, the Patriots ultimately fell to an aggressive, physical team not unlike the '01 Pats.

Man, incredibly well said and dead on accurate.

I was looking forward to the game during the day, but when the game started and they showed clips of the Super Bowl with Faulk and Seau walking off the field, then they mentioned the guy on the Ravens with a Super Bowl ring (he was on the Giants practice squad) and they showed gaptooth with the Super Bowl Champions hat and teeshirt on, I lost whatever enthusiasm I had for the game and just sat there blank faced for awhile.

Sorry, that loss is forever going to leave a mark with me, the thought what could have been (19-0, the perfect season, losing to a mediocre fvkcing team from a mediocre conference that got hot at the right time, shutting up the Doofins, 4 Super Bowl wins in 7 years, the second most Super Bowl wins in the AFC trailing only the Stoolers) will always haunt me.

I envy those of you who can just say "Oh well, you win some, you lose some, 18-1 is still amazing, we'll get em this year, blah, blah, blah."

Sorry, I can't.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

Agree. Watching the '06 choke-job at Indy unfold almost made me break my TV, partly b/c it was Peyton carving us up in the second half.

During the SB, it was just kind of a low grade uneasy feeling the whole game. Especially frustrating was the Pats' lack of urgency on offense. Jeezus H, am I the only one who thinks they seemed content just to keep it a one possession game? WTF? What a time not to try and run up the score so to speak, or at least give your gassed, banged up D some cushion. Coaching staff maybe was more distracted than the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes