PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did they do? [NE free agents that signed elsewhere in 2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always Belichick lets them go a year too early rather than a year too late. This strategy has led to incredible success so sometimes we have to let our binkies go. I was sad to see Vereen go but he wasn't worth what the Giants paid.

People love to trash Belichick the GM but sometimes I wonder what he is better at, GM or Coach, because IMO he is a genius at both. He never overpays.

Lets not exaggerate. BB overpays too.

In the last 8 years or so that I can recall:

Danny Amendola - 5yr $31m
Adalius Thomas - 5yr $35m
Marcus Cannon - 2yr $9m
Kyle Arrington - 4yr $16m
Fred Taylor - 2yr $5m
Nick Kaczur - 4yr $16m
Ryan Wendell - 2yr $8m
Shawn Springs - 3yr $10.5m
James Sanders - 3yr $9m
Leigh Bodden - 4yr $22m
Scott Chandler - 2yr $5.3m

and tons and tons more.

Ouch. The two highlighted ones hurt, but who could have forseen a Vicodin addiction or a crooked spine?

Lets not exaggerate. BB overpays too.

In the last 8 years or so that I can recall:

Danny Amendola - 5yr $31m
Adalius Thomas - 5yr $35m
Marcus Cannon - 2yr $9m
Kyle Arrington - 4yr $16m
Fred Taylor - 2yr $5m
Nick Kaczur - 4yr $16m
Ryan Wendell - 2yr $8m
Shawn Springs - 3yr $10.5m
James Sanders - 3yr $9m
Leigh Bodden - 4yr $22m
Scott Chandler - 2yr $5.3m

and tons and tons more.

Letting Vereen walk was absolutely not a bad move. We instead brought in Dion Lewis who is a better runner and receiver than Shane. Even James White was satisfactory as a receiving back.

Wow, really disagree.

You want to bring health into it, I suppose we'll see--Lewis obviously got hurt this year, and when you get hurt more than once you get slapped with the "brittle" tag. But you seem to be saying that even when Lewis is healthy you'd take Vereen? No way.

5 years in the league and Lewis has splayed one complete season and even in that one he had a total of 25 touches......he has literally missed half of his career due to injury.

so yeah.....I would rather take vereen than a 50/50 chance with lewis........it takes no brains at all to grasp that notion

5 years in the league and Lewis has splayed one complete season and even in that one he had a total of 25 touches......he has literally missed half of his career due to injury.

so yeah.....I would rather take vereen than a 50/50 chance with lewis........it takes no brains at all to grasp that notion
Regarding health, I guess we'll see. But there have been lots of guys who have been labelled brittle, and it turns out to just be luck of the draw. But as I said, healthy, Lewis is to me clearly the superior player.

Saying it takes "no brains at all to grasp that notion" comes across really douchy, fyi.

Saying it takes "no brains at all to grasp that notion" comes across really douchy, fyi.

you reap what you sow....an appropriate response to 'Wow, really disagree' .... really? was it 'wow'?

this is all hindsight based on the season, people saying they would rather have lewis over vereen apparently missed the part where lewis missed half the season when we needed him most. Saying you would rather have half a season(the first half) of lewis over a full season of vereen is silly.

Vereen was a proven commidity, who while not a 100% always game breaker, played HUGE in the biggest games of the year(playoffs, superbowl) Lewis flashed some greatness, but like others have mentioned, was injury prone.

It's a Promise vs Results debate. Would you like a 50% chance of a 1500 all purpose yards player, or the 100% chance of a 800-1000 all purpose yards? Risk vs reward.

Ultimately, While i think lewis has the better ceiling, Vereen is the guy that can go the distance.

If Lewis was healthy and from what we saw, he was an upgrade over Vereen. Can't plan for injuries so that debate is moot. The rest I agree with.

White is just as good if not better than Vereen in my opinion. Definitely the right call, Giants paid way too much for him. Shouldn't have gotten more than 3 at most, probably closer to 2.5.

Lewis was utilized differently than either White this year or Vereen last year

Lewis was most productive and had the most touches on 1st down......Vereen and White were largely utilized on 2nd and 3rd down in more obvious passing situations......huge difference

Letting Vereen walk was absolutely not a bad move. We instead brought in Dion Lewis who is a better runner and receiver than Shane. Even James White was satisfactory as a receiving back.

It continues to amuse me that so many of you pretend that anyone could've possibly had the faintest Clue what Lewis was going to do a Year ago when the Decision to let Vereen walk was made.

You can make an Argument either way whether or not letting Vereen go was a smart move. I feel strongly that we should've kept'm, myself, but if someone wants to say that they couldn't justify the Expense, they have a perfectly valid Argument and I'd be the last one to say otherwise.

But pretending that we had the faintest Clue, a Year ago, what Lewis would do, is silly.

And I believe that I'm putting that kindly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back