PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bad was the holding penalty by Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was a hold than Jones should if had a holding call every play

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

They aren't supposed to let them play. Part of the problem with all refs and the regulars in particular is they develop tendancies to call it impossibly tight or ridiculously loose and usually choose to let them play come playoff time. Although not always... That Superbowl was a case where something that clearly should have been called wasn't. Happens more often than folks are presently remembering. Like calling face guarding...when no such penalty even exists. The regulars tend to make phantom calls more than the replacements because of bias based on familiarity. I think these guys are just trying to do the right thing. They made some mistakes today, just like the regulars always do. But this wasn't one of them. Would have been nice for us if they missed it, but then all the AZ fans would be going berserk.

Well, Mo, I certainly wish they had blown the whistle in the Superbowl but I happen to generally think that it is better to let play decide a game and not calls...ticky tack ones that is. BEcause as has been pointed out over and over again, there is technically holding on almost every play. Should there be a flag on every single play? No, of course not and certainly not ones that decide the game.

im sorry the officating needs to be called out

the pats play calling deserves questioning... but he officating needs to be called.. the gronk hold and the so called false start when arizona clearly jumped off side.. its these shoe makers will cost us home field advantage against a inferior opponet when the pats should have won by alot .... the refs are to blame.. that holding call was bs... sorry ... i dont blame the refs.. but they deserved it today...

Re: im sorry the officating needs to be called out

It's not like the Gronk call was a phantom hold. It was a hold. Rodney completely agreed w/ the call just now - it turned the guy around, and cleared the way for Woodhead.

I was furious at the time.

But you know what? It was a hold. One you sometimes get away with, but a hold nonetheless

It's not like the Gronk call was a phantom hold. It was a hold. Rodney completely agreed w/ the call just now - it turned the guy around, and cleared the way for Woodhead.

You do realize that the actual holding call happend after woodhead went by him and he was trying to turn right ?... gronk was not letting the guy turn around and run after woodhead who just went by him.

False starts can only be senn when you are on the field looking at the Line, how one can say its correct or wrong from a side way tv shot is crazy.

Last edited:

the pats play calling deserves questioning... but he officating needs to be called.. the gronk hold and the so called false start when arizona clearly jumped off side.. its these shoe makers will cost us home field advantage against a inferior opponet when the pats should have won by alot .... the refs are to blame.. that holding call was bs... sorry ... i dont blame the refs.. but they deserved it today...

Arizona jumped offside because the center moved the ball, replay clearly showed that he moved the ball slightly, the officially obviously saw it, because it was the right call, it was a hold on Gronk, accept it.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the DVR of the game...I can say this, the officials look far better ON TV than they did in person...I mean, you did NOT see the preposterous take downs and all game clutching on Jones and Wilfork on TV...in person it was embarrassingly hideous...I don't care about the real NFL refs tendencies or bias, I want them BACK NOW. This is bush league reffing in the greatest sports league in the world...preposterous it ever got this far, ridiculous that it continues, and criminal that someone who boasts that HE has the interest of the league and its fans at heart continues this penny ante anti-ref jihad. What a sick joke.

By saying that the play on the 2 point conversion was not a hold, the officials set the standard. The Gronk call was not a hold.

It was a terrible call, and these officials can't go away fast enough.

I didn't see it live time as i had left the stadium by then. But it was a 50-50 call looking at it after the fact. Seen worse not called but with these refs. it's so inconsistent..you just never know

The hold didn't come even remotely close to meeting the std that the refs had set throughout the game.

Any line coach will tell you using your arm as a shepherd's crook and pulling a defender off his feet is the perfect way to finish a legal block.

And that it's best done five yards downfield right next to the ballcarrier.

seems like the officiating in general is worse this week than last. was also watching the eagles-ravens game at the bar, and the refs were all over the place in that game too. hope the real refs come back soon.

First off, I understand why the official threw his flag. I wish he didn't and really didn't think he had to, but letter of the law and given the perspective of the official from where he was standing, I can see why the flag flew.

That being said, I was driving around after the game and flipping through the late games on Sirius, I heard a ton of complaints from each game. I didn't hear these complaints last weekend. I guess Flacco, among others, had comments in their post game pressers as well. I would assume that close games, involving marquee teams, ending with questionable calls are going to raise more eyebrows.

I also took this quote from BB as a subtle commentary on the situation:

“They scored a touchdown, we got it called back. We had a touchdown called back.”

Typically BB would say, "there was a holding call," or something similar about his team needing to avoid penalties, but today he twice said a touchdown got called back. To me, he clearly thought it was a touchdown and the flag didn't need to be thrown.

yeah it hasn't been this bad in a long long time....
The inconsistencies have been horrible for a long time. There are other inadequacies that the replacements have brought to the game, and they certainly seem to be trending in the wrong with as far as consistency is concerned.

I think a major problem we're seeing is right or wrong players and coaches feel like they can work the replacements. It seemed like in this game the Cards complained a lot, and often they were complaining about things that they had absolutely no reason to complain about. When you see the imbalance of penalties called in this game, despite it being a home game for the Pats, you start to wonder if it might not be a valid strategy with a group of guys that desperately don't want to be the story of the game.

This ref mess NEVER should have been an issue this season....gross incompetence led to this debacle we are witnessing.

The inconsistencies have been horrible for a long time. There are other inadequacies that the replacements have brought to the game, and they certainly seem to be trending in the wrong with as far as consistency is concerned.

This is the problem i have. if you are going to let WRs and DBs fight it out on the outside for 3 Qs...why do you have to call all the penalties in the 4th if you let them do it in the past 3 Qs? no consistency. As lest with the normal refs their consistency was much better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back