PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How a professional celebrates a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the penalty was for going to the ground during the celebration, not the gun part. I didn't see a penalty flag until he crashed the jet.

I guess we are both right- he was actually flagged for going to the ground as you say, and the NFL will also fine him for gestures stimulating a gun:

The NFL will likely fine Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson for his simulated gun action that mimicked the self-inflicted wound once suffered by New York Jets receiver Plaxico Burress, league sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The league prohibits players from making gestures with simulated weapons.

Sources -- Steve Johnson of Buffalo Bills facing fine for gun-related celebration - ESPN

Either that or this.

I vote for "this!" Big time!

The only criteria for a penalty should be if it rubs it in excessively to the other team (the leg shot), if it requires the use of something from off the field (sharpie) or if it delays the PAT. Otherwise, let them have fun.

It's a stupid rule. You shouldn't get penalized in-game for taunting/celebrating/etc (so long as it isn't actual fighting!). Could you imagine a Homerun getting waved off or someone lose an at-bat because they took too long watching their Homer soar over the fence? It's ******ed. Those things are supposed to get corrected by the PLAYERS, not officials. If the league has a problem with more aggressive offenses, fine them and/or kick them out of the game (or perhaps force to sit out a possession or something) if it's actually physical.

It's entertainment for crying out loud.

Yeah, if you do that in baseball you just get a fastball aimed between the lower and upper jaws next at bat. He knows it's coming, but watching him duck is "entertainment" too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST