PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston Texans vs the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh heavens, yes. Assuming your calculation is [Hype-Impact], Watt -- who has 38 sacks, 152 tackles and 4 TDs over the past 2 seasons -- isn't even close to the top. Andrew Luck and Ndamukong Suh leap to mind.

Where are you finding 4 TDs?

Pro Football reference has different stats. J.J. Watt NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Watt - 1 INT, 1 TD, 18 passes defensed, 7 forced fumbles, 38 sacks and 116 tackles in 32 games.
Collins - 3 INTs, 1 TD, 12 passes defensed, 9 forced fumbles, 9 sacks and 142 tackles in 27 games.

I know which player I want and it aint JJ.

Texans are a good football team with a very good defense. Watt is a great player, who may wind up in Canton if he stays healthy. With JG, TB and probably Gronk out they are slight favorites and they should be. It will be a good game though.

Have you watched the Texans?

KC did everything to lose and still they had a shot to win the game.

Have you watched the Texans?

KC did everything to lose and still they had a shot to win the game.

I watched a good part of Sunday's game. I thought they played pretty well, especially on defense. It's not like KC is awful.

Where are you finding 4 TDs?

Pro Football reference has different stats. J.J. Watt NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

3 more on offense.

Watt - 1 INT, 1 TD, 18 passes defensed, 7 forced fumbles, 38 sacks and 116 tackles in 32 games.
Collins - 3 INTs, 1 TD, 12 passes defensed, 9 forced fumbles, 9 sacks and 142 tackles in 27 games.

I know which player I want and it aint JJ.

I don't really know what you're trying to glean from this stats comparison. One player is a 3-4 defensive end, the other a 4-3 linebacker -- comparing stats lines apples-to-apples doesn't make any sense, IMO.

For just one example, linebackers always make more tackles than linemen. So Jamie Collins made more tackles than J.J. Watt last year...but Collins ranked #39 among all LBs in tackles, while Watt ranked #1 among all defensive linemen in tackles. (And #1 among all defensive linemen in passes defensed. And #1 in sacks. And #1 in tackles for loss. Honestly, what more do you want from the guy?)

Really?

You know the Greats make those around them better. Like Brady with the hodge podge offensive line last season taking the Pats to the AFC Championship. Lawrence Taylor was the same, Mike Jordan did as well.

Playing DE is different. He demands double teams, makes plays not sure how he can make his teammates better. You can't compare him to a TB or Jordan. He's more like an Ortiz. Ortiz makes the lineup stronger but doesn't make his teammates that much better

Houston Texans vs the Pats

Or the Houston JJ Watts. Is there another NFL player more over hyped than JJ?

No, there is not. Luck is next though. Every basic play Watt plays gets so over hyped and analysed, he got a sack on Sunday that the RT just completely whiffed on and NFL Twitter were going on as though it was the best sack of all time. Not to mention he's a gigantic "Look at me and how great I am" douche, with all the playing "hurt" etc

They run/ran Weiss's offense at NC State?

Weiss was the OC for the Gators in Florida when Brissett started his college career before transferring to NC state.

If Brissett has a great game versus Houston, does it affect JB's trade value? Just a thought.

Nope, Houston had the 8th ranked defense and 4 games were vs the worst teams in the NFL. 6 games if you include the Colts trainwreck.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

3rd in Total Yards allowed, and the D wasn't good the first six games until they made Andre Hal the starter at safety, but I guess you will have to wait to see how good they are this year. As for JJ its clear, that a guy who won 3 DMVP's in 4 years in your mind is over hyped. I get you are tired of seeing and hearing about him and his ****iness rubs you the wrong way, but being that he is probably the best defensive player of his generation it comes with the territory. Only him and LT have won the award 3 times, and he's probably not done. J.J. Watt is the only played to win the award unanimously, receiving 50 out of 50 first place votes in 2014. He was also a near-unanimous winner in 2012 as he earned 49 out of 50 votes. So I guess most would disagree.

I don't really know what you're trying to glean from this stats comparison. One player is a 3-4 defensive end, the other a 4-3 linebacker -- comparing stats lines apples-to-apples doesn't make any sense, IMO.

The Pats run a hybrid defense for some time now. This article was prior to the 2014 season.

“There are a lot of different alignments out there, you see 4-3 teams use odd spacing, you see 3-4 teams use even spacing. Look, you have 11 defensive players. You can put them in various positions. Whether you want to put it in the pregame depth chart as one thing or another I think is a little bit overrated.”

Needless to say, Belichick doesn’t like to classify the Patriots defense as one thing or another.

The Essential Faces of the New England Patriots Defensive Front | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Both players do not play their positions in traditional roles. Both Collins and Watt are allowed to be versatile in their respective defenses. There are similarities. Calling Collins a 4 - 3 LB is painting with a broad brush IMO.

For just one example, linebackers always make more tackles than linemen. So Jamie Collins made more tackles than J.J. Watt last year...but Collins ranked #39 among all LBs in tackles,

Who has the most tackles is not the point. The point is that Collins is just as disruptive as Watt save for the sacks and nobody is fawning over Collins 24/7 like Watt.

while Watt ranked #1 among all defensive linemen in tackles. (And #1 among all defensive linemen in passes defensed. And #1 in sacks. And #1 in tackles for loss. Honestly, what more do you want from the guy?)

If its all about individual statistics and accolades then JJ needs a bigger trophy room.

Who has the most tackles is not the point. The point is that Collins is just as disruptive as Watt save for the sacks and nobody is fawning over Collins 24/7 like Watt.

Its a passing league and JJ disrupts the passer while facing double teams. But if you really think Collins is just as disruptive as Watt there really is no point in debate, do you think any one of the 32 GM's in the league would pick him over JJ?

I watched a good part of Sunday's game. I thought they played pretty well, especially on defense. It's not like KC is awful.

No, KC is getting roasted for their bad play. Penalties, fumbles, dropped balls.

Houston struggled on offense. 1 TD and 4 FGs.

No, there is not. Luck is next though. Every basic play Watt plays gets so over hyped and analysed, he got a sack on Sunday that the RT just completely whiffed on and NFL Twitter were going on as though it was the best sack of all time. Not to mention he's a gigantic "Look at me and how great I am" douche, with all the playing "hurt" etc

Isn't this exactly the way fans of other teams complain about Tom Brady? Interpreting competitive fire as arrogance, and the perennial appearances on the injury report as "pretending to be hurt in order to look tough"? Annoyance at the way the media fawns over his greatness, as if their recognition makes him less great?

You don't have to like J.J. Watt, but IMO his talent and effort are undeniable.

It's not like KC is awful.

Well the Bears are awful and KC did go down 24-3 at home to SD before coming back. So ya they came back so that's good but how do you go down 24-3 to SD at home?

Its a passing league and JJ disrupts the passer while facing double teams. But if you really think Collins is just as disruptive as Watt there really is no point in debate, do you think any one of the 32 GM's in the league would pick him over JJ?

You're pretty confident in your opinions I can see.Big Texans fan, eh? Thought you'd just drop in and cherry pick a few posts by a few of the TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND members here, slap them down and insinuate that WE, as a fanbase, hold these opinions? Pretty remarkable.

Before we go any further and before any more of your "Knower Of Things" replies, tell me (and the rest of us) exactly where you stand on Brady's suspension...and include the "facts" you possess to back up your reply.

You're pretty confident in your opinions I can see.Big Texans fan, eh? Thought you'd just drop in and cherry pick a few posts by a few of the TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND members here, slap them down and insinuate that WE, as a fanbase, hold these opinions? Pretty remarkable.

Before we go any further and before any more of your "Knower Of Things" replies, tell me (and the rest of us) exactly where you stand on Brady's suspension...and include the "facts" you possess to back up your reply.

Im not sure how you thought I was insinuating anything about an entire fan base, I replied to the OP and a few others, and it seemed that many other posters agreed with me. I was just here to talk football exchange ideas, you can learn the most from the fans of other teams because they watch the team all the time. Brady's suspension hmm don't really feel to strongly to be honest. Do I think its some kind of conspiracy no, do I think he should be suspended, no. Certainly not four games. Like I said Im into the football on the field, off the field not so much. All I know is that he made the grave error of questioning GOD, he calls himself Goodell. God needs to show he is GOD, if GOD thinks you didn't tell the truth well you know the rest, ask the Saints and Sean Payton and TB, GOD likes to make examples so the mortals know what happens. Like I said I don't thinks its some kind of conspiracy, more than likely the was an i not dotted or a t not crossed, and even though it made no difference in what happened on the field, GOD was questioned, GOD got angry and there you have it. Fortunately for the Pats looks like it will end up only making them better. JG will either have gained valuable experience or he will be great trade bait, maybe Brisset will end up the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back