PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston Texans vs the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Houston Texans vs the Pats

Or the Houston JJ Watts. Is there another NFL player more over hyped than JJ?

I haven't watched the Texans this year but the stats tell me they 1) Lead the league in sacks and are 5th best at defensive QB rating, 2) Are 28th against the run, allowing 4.9 YPC.

So it's obviously set up for us to run and throw off that. Whether we can run when they're looking for it (we did vs. Miami), we'll see.

JJ Watt is a helluva player, probably the best defensive player in football. Clowney is playing excellent football too after looking like a bust/injury prone player. That defense scares me, but, if they can establish the run game, and play better defense as well, and Brissett manages the game mistake free, they could win the game.

BB has the luxury of going up against Osweiller already and most of the time that's all he needs. I have a feeling he and Patricia will have a few wrinkles to confuse him and knock the wheels off the cart early on, hopefully.

Houston has almost no time to prepare for this one. Two days of practice and a travel day on Wednesday.

Eh, the Pats don't have much of an advantage. They have to get a rookie ready to start at the most important position in football with only one extra day to do it. The book on Houston is pretty standard. Pressure Assweiler and he'll loft a few up for grabs and pound them with Blount up the A and B gaps and specifically away from Watt. Houston has been giving up big chunks of yardage on the ground there.

Typically the Patriots have handled Watt very well compared to the rest of the league. What will be interesting though is how much of that was because Brady was so good at setting protections and getting the ball out quickly. Seeing what Jimmy was able to do through 1.5 games I would have felt pretty good with him, but Jacoby is a complete unknown at this point.

Defense will need to play better on Thursday, but I have confidence that they will.

Defense will need to play better on Thursday, but I have confidence that they will.

yes this. hopkins and fuller is a step up from the miami group of WRs

Assweiler

Aly5p.gif

yes this. hopkins and fuller is a step up from the miami group of WRs

Fuller against Ryan kind of frightens me. That's a mismatch of epic proportions. I expect Belichick to have a safety shade his side of field consistently.

Typically the Patriots have handled Watt very well compared to the rest of the league. What will be interesting though is how much of that was because Brady was so good at setting protections and getting the ball out quickly. Seeing what Jimmy was able to do through 1.5 games I would have felt pretty good with him, but Jacoby is a complete unknown at this point.

I wasn't seeing great pocket awareness from Jacoby yesterday (see: ball getting stripped).

Is attacking Houston's poor run defense pushing the evenlope?

I'm not going to bash Watt. Watching him play is amazing. I view him as a top 5 Defensive player of all time. As dominant as LT

JJ Watt is one of the top 5 players in the NFL right now and has been pretty much every year since his first year.

You can't over hype him. He will not only be a HOFer but a first ballot HOFer and deservedly so.

The only players I put with Watt right now are Von Miller, Brady, Gronk, Kuechly and that is it.

Players who are the clear #1 at their position (Peterson use to be in that tier too but he seems to have gotten old over night).

Luckily Watt doesn't have the help a guy like Von Miller does on defense so that allows you to really key on him. Houston has been wasting Watt by not forcing teams (smart and good ones) to either choose to 1v1 him or get beat somewhere else.

never makes plays in big games, feasts on the ****ty afc south. the defensive version of andrew luck.
hyped to no end..

i could see jj making plays against our B team. just wish we see the texans again in the playoffs with tb12 and gronk.:cool:

Home game helps negate some of the pass rush. There is not mush tape on JB. What does he do well? What can't he do? Nobody knows. Houston has to travel. Pats should be an underdog but don't count them out of this one.

One small advantage for the Pats is Brissett being taller, will be less affected by Watt blocking passes as Jimmy may have been.

Still a concern though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back