PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KY Pats Fan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I've watched this season and I am beginning to be concerned about the play of Hobbs and watching the Baltimore game really cemented my thoughts.

1. He is a liability in the running game. He just seems to be afraid to tackle. He either side steps or backs up when a runner is coming at him.

2. Seems to get beat quite a bit in passing situations.

Am I just too critical or is anyone else seeing this?

From what I have seen from Hobbs, I don't think tackling is much of an issue with him. He goes after people and shows willingness to throw his body around. Being a good tackler, that's different story but he is CB after all and his main focus ought to coverage. He does have tendency to get burned big time at least per game. You can see other teams picking on him and trying to match their best WR against Hobbs. He is bit on short side and that's another liability but you can see he tries his butt off. Samuels wasn't exactly world beater either in until his fourth season so hopefully Hobbs can follow the similar route.

I cannot say i agree with this at all.

Against the Ravens Hobbs made many saving tackles against the run. In the end the runner should not have gotten that far. Someone should have made the play before Hobbs had to do it. Hobbs did not make the glamorous play or the hard hit but he brought the runner down and made sure he did not get burned. I think when you are the last person to make the tackle that is what is needed to be done. You could fault him for the TD run where Magehee (spelling I know) went thru him and scored late in the game but again I dont.

In pass protection he is our #2 CB. How many teams have a better #2 CB? The WRs get paid too. Sometimes they catch the ball and sometimes they get the better of who ever is covering them thats football. That is their job. I like his passion and his effort most of all but along with that he is a skilled player. As of right now our defense is #6 against the pass and most of the season the Pats have played against teams that need to pass the entire game. Not too shabby

I've watched this season and I am beginning to be concerned about the play of Hobbs and watching the Baltimore game really cemented my thoughts.

1. He is a liability in the running game. He just seems to be afraid to tackle. He either side steps or backs up when a runner is coming at him.

2. Seems to get beat quite a bit in passing situations.

Am I just too critical or is anyone else seeing this?

Yes

Did Deon Sanders ever tackle a running back?

Hobbs is fine. I wouldn't consider him a liablity at all. Balls get completed on everyone in the Pats system.

Hobbs has been absolutely TORCHED and TERRIBLE in coverage pretty much all season long. I'm not sure what other people are seeing. I don't disagree that he is a willing and aggressive tackler, and I do have hope for the guy, but I think he's been downright dreadful.

Asante had a poorer showing against Baltimore than Ellis did. Hobbs is the faster and more athletic of the two. Asante is the ballhawk - although he didn't master that technique until his 4th season - so he shows better in zone except on a night like Monday when he got beat and burned more than once by the type of QB he gets most of his picks on. Hobbs has made some huge plays for this team that should have been game savers, only to have the zebras take them away on ticky tack or blatantly incorrect calls. If the league starts to back off of Polian's extreme emphasis, as they may be beginning to seeing as Polian's corners are now physical, Ellis will be invaluable. As he already is in the return game because of his speed. And afraid is like the last thing Hobbs is.

I agree that Hobbs is fearless and that that is a big asset. I also agree that he got screwed in Indy and that Asante had the worse game against Baltimore. However, this doesn't change my view that, overall, Hobbs has had a bad season.

Oh my god, you're saying something negative about a player on the roster!? Oh man, bring out the gallows, we're going to chop your hands off and hang you.

The weird thing about Hobbs is that he seems to be more effective if he can jam receivers at the line of scrimmage and play physical, but the Pats usually play him five or ten yards off the line of scrimmage. He seems to be a better man coverage guy than a zone coverage. The problem is that the Pats play a lot of zone.

As for his tackling, I don't see that being a problem at all. The guy is a hard hitter.

I agree.....
He gives recievers too much space constantly and every time the quarterback throws his way I know it'll be for a big gain. For the past two games he's played terrible coverage. He seemed better last year. He just hasn't been able to pull it together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference