PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

History proves if anyone, Peyton, not Brady, is more of a system quaterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because

a.) It's a response to comments from elsewhere, and

b.) People don't buy into your interpretation of what a system QB is.

What I mean is a system QB can only have some success in one type of offensive system, designed to minimize his mistakes. He's not good enough to play in any other kind of scheme. If the system breaks down, he's not good enough to overcome that. And it's always the system that manages him, not as in the case of Brady where it's the other way around.

Tim Tebow for example, is the very definition of a system QB. Where is he now?

What I mean is a system QB can only have some success in one type of offensive system, designed to minimize his mistakes. He's not good enough to play in any other kind of scheme. If the system breaks down, he's not good enough to overcome that. And it's always the system that manages him, not as in the case of Brady where it's the other way around.

Tim Tebow for example, is the very definition of a system QB. Where is he now?

I wasn't trying to be snarky with my answer, btw, so my apologies if it came off that way. This stuff really does come from other boards, for example, and people do look at system QBs with a bit of a different take than yours.

For example, Jeff Garcia was a Pro Bowl QB in the west coast system, and hot garbage in a more downfield system. It's about limitations, true, but it doesn't mean that the QB is only passable within the system. Bledsoe, coming from the other end of things, couldn't run the west coast offense to save his life, but he was a top quality QB in a downfield system with a quality TE.

I wasn't trying to be snarky with my answer, btw, so my apologies if it came off that way. This stuff really does come from other boards, for example, and people do look at system QBs with a bit of a different take than yours.

For example, Jeff Garcia was a Pro Bowl QB in the west coast system, and hot garbage in a more downfield system. It's about limitations, true, but it doesn't mean that the QB is only passable within the system. Bledsoe, coming from the other end of things, couldn't run the west coast offense to save his life, but he was a top quality QB in a downfield system with a quality TE.

Didn't take it that way.

I agree with a lot of that - Bledsoe for sure - but then you could say that about anyone that's ever played the game. I don't think Peyton Manning would do very well in Colin Kaepernick's offensive system for obvious reasons. But I wouldn't call him out as a "system QB".

If a guy is explicitly called a system QB then it's never a compliment. In college if you have that label it's not likely you're going to be picked very high in the draft, and there's a good reason for that. The theme is that one system needs to be in place for the QB to do well and limit his mistakes because he doesn't have the talent to adjust.

I realize the foundation for this argument about Brady comes from Matt Cassell's season and the Colts going 2-14 without Manning. To me all that proves is Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky absolutely stink, and Bill Belichick is excellent at what he does. And Cassell didn't play in Brady's system anyway, BB changed it and simplified it for Cassell.

Yup.

Great post.

I made the same argument last year at NFL.com.

Brady has played in so many different types of offenses. Manning basically brought Indy's offense with him to Denver.

It wouldn't make much sense for the Broncos to run a different offense than the one Manning ran in Indy because of how effective it was.

But to the point of this thread....the argument about Brady being a system QB is a joke. It might have had some merit in 2002 but not today.

When you hear someone say that Manning never had a defense, ask them how he would have fared with the #1 defense in the entire NFL.

Whatever they say, then point them to stats for 2007, when the Indianapolis Colts had the #1 defense in the NFL (#1 in fewest yards allowed; they were 3rd in points allowed).

People are stunned to know that.

It needs to be known, and widely.

Because it blows away the single biggest excuse made for Manning's failures

Granted, their defense choked and couldn't stop Billy Volek, but a certain QB also threw two costly interceptions and had a lower passer rating than either Rivers or Volek.

Another interesting fact most people don't know is that in only his second year playing Brady led the NFL in TD passes in 2002.

My personal opinion - There is no such thing as a system QB. Every QB needs a system to play. The modern day mediots have coined this to demean and somehow seperate their assessments of a QB but there is no such thing as a system qb . Joe Montana played in the of the greatest and popular systems .
People assume manning calls all the plays at the LOS and is the offensive coordinator because of his chicken dance but he is not. He has 2 plays just like brady and calls the play as he sees the defense. Otherwise he would be calling the subsitutions too. Of course he is not the coach on the field and OC when they lose , its the actual coaches fault then.
I cringe personally at the system qb references like some one like akili smith or ryan leaf could flourish in a system .

Another interesting fact most people don't know is that in only his second year playing Brady led the NFL in TD passes in 2002.

If I remember correctly he was among the league leaders in yards too. And this is WITH that injured right shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes