Welcome to PatsFans.com

Herald: BJGE just getting started

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by crowell33, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Damn ... i thought this thread was about BJGE hitting his growth spurt.

the article was pretty much written rah-rah style ... no new info.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The one thing I liked from reviewing him in the Bills game is that he always manages to squeeze out an extra yard or two after the initial tackle or collision.
  4. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I like that BJGE is smallish and hard to find with a low center of gravity...always going FORWARD unlike another RB who is no longer a Patriot.

Can he continue moving the chains in a positive direction? stay tuned
  5. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I find it amusing that Maroney lovers who were almost mocking members in here about anyone saying that BJGE was better for the team suddenly shuts up when Belichick followed suit and made the CORRECT move.

Easy to hide in here knowing you were wrong is apparently as easy to ridicule
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. bradydaman29

bradydaman29 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Some guys take a while to get acclimated to a new situation. I'm hoping BJGE is one of those guys that, with more carries, he will figure some things out and become a better player as the weeks go by. Normally those guys don't get much of a chance because they are slow starters and need more reps to get in the groove. That would be nice to see him blossom before our eyes.
  7. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#3 Jersey

Yes.

I cannot abide hyphenators...

But he IS a Scrapper.
  8. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

some of these Maroney bashers are incredible

really guys, u still feel the need? really? nothing better to do?

as for BJGE, man i hope this guy surprises everyone, both for his own sake and the Pats sake
  9. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BJGE after 3 weeks
    31 carries
    139 yards total
    46.3 yards per game
    4.5 yards per carry average
    22 yards long
    1 TD
    0 fumbles

if he can get 20-25 carries a game (basically double what he does now) and maintain 4.5 YPC, it would lighten the load and therefore likely extend Fred T's career into the December and hopefully January time frame when running becomes even more important with bad weather.

Maybe that's a big if, maybe it's not. We'll see soon enough, I think.
  10. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I was never a fan and I'll gladly eat crow when he goes over 4.5 YPC against a decent defense. Ripping the Bills for 6+ YPC to help out his average doesn't impress me.
  11. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

#18 Jersey

It's not always about ridicule and hiding. I wasn't mocking anyone, but I did and still do think that Maroney is a better RB than BJGE. I also like BJGE and I'm glad that his hard work paid off. Clearly he outworked Maroney and BB preferred some things about his game. So congrats to him and I hope he continues to improve.
  12. LetsGoPats36

LetsGoPats36 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You nailed it my friend.
  13. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It was not you PJ but if you go back to those threads you could see a few know it alls in here pounding away at those members that felt BJGE was a better player

They ridiculed,put down and embarrassed those who realized Maroney was in fact a bust and a wasted #1 pick and thought it was ridiculous to even assume an UDFA could overtake mr draft bust on the depth chart

They were wrong and after it all happened they ran under the couch like scared mice after their god belichick admitted enough was enough with a player that had not shown improvement year after year

I called them out on it after Maroney was sent packing but little responded,no guts I guess.

The fact is it's not even me who posted BJGE was a better back,I am still not really high on him yet but I was more looking for a trade 2 years ago for lomo
  14. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

One other thing I distinctly remember is how the OL was a big reason from the know it alls as to why Lomo failed to produce,wasn't this close to the same OL that BJGE ran through for near 100 yards last week? And even the midget woodhead found gaps to run for near 40 yards

This OL is not the greatest run blocking unit in the world but give them a hard trying North to south RB to block for and they will do a reasonable good job and it showed last week

BJGE is far from proven and he won't amount to anymore than a reliable RB,but he is indeed makes this RB corps a better unit than it would be without him
  15. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In that same game,against that same defense, Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, rushed a combined 12 time for 35 yards, a 2.9 yard average. BJGE rushed 16 times for 98 yards for a 6.1 yard per carry average.

What say you ?
  16. Captain Cliche

Captain Cliche Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To my eyes, what I saw was Maroney getting stoned at the line or cutting laterally looking for a hole...then insert running back of your choice (Morris, Taylor) and they rip off 3 to 6 yards up the middle in the same set of downs with the same line against the same defense. That tells me...all things being equal, Maroney was the problem.

I still think he was being used improperly. I saw him rip off a good gain last week on a swing/screen pass. I can't imagine why BB did not use him more that way unless his hands are suspect. I think if you ignore his size and use him as third down type of back he could be very productive. I think McDaniels may get more out of him. BB appears too stubborn some times.
  17. Dutchmaster617

Dutchmaster617 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People actually supported Maroney? I thought all our fans hated him, I saw more potential in BJ since 08 honestly, he is just much tougher.
  18. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Maroney's limited success in the NFL is thru the short pass outside and get him into open space,that is where his speed can be of use,he was used here way too many times in going north/south and he failed going that route more than a few times.

Of course the know it alls in here blamed the OL all the time and as everyone saw on sunday the OL just needs a runner to wait a second and then pound thru the hole they give the RB,our OL is not the best and Maroneys failure to produce was more of making wrong and impatient moves than blaming the 5 guys in front of him.
  19. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I thought it was quite fitting that BJGE had a good game given then the opportunity last week. I also thought it was fitting that Maroney got stuffed on the goal line 2 or 3 times in the denver game. Is Maroney the more talented back, probably. But it takes more than talent to make it in this league. Patriotsfaninpa, I agree 100% with your assessment of Maroney's ballwashers on this board. I also respect what patjew posted. But you are absolutely right about people being ridiculed whenever anyone tried to demonstrate how Maroney was a first-class bust. Imagine that, BB actually knows a thing or two about football - much more so than posters on this board......
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  20. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

#18 Jersey

Can't argue with any of that. Sure seems to me that BJGE is a better fit for the Pats than Maroney. The pity to me is that I think Maroney could be very good in a different system.
  21. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

fyi, BB was the one saying last season during 2 PCs, that the O-line wasnt doing a good job blocking for Maroney. It wasnt just the "ball washers".......

Now, before anyone jumps on my azz :eek:
    I prefer BJGE. I like the hard inside runner who fights for another yard. Thats just not Maroneys style. I also agree with another poster, that JM will probably find a way to get Maroney the ball in space, and he'll see some success. One more thing. Although i'm happy to see BJGE doing well, I think i'll wait till he goes up against a real defense before I put him in Dillons league. It was afterall, the Bills :cool:
  22. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BJGE is no Corey Dillon. and neither is LoMo, that's for sure. I didn't see LoMo as an all out bust, but I saw him as being hugely underachieving. Had he been a 5th round pick, people wouldn't care as much. I see a bust as someone who never produces, and LoMo did, sporadically. I label him an underachiever, at least in the NE offense. Sometimes he looked very good, sometimes he just sucked. For a first rounder, you expect more. A lot more.

BJGE is the classic hard worker, come out of nowhere overachiever. I hope he continues to improve. I'm not THE biggest BJGE fan, but I like him because he busts his ***** every play. I suspected he'd make the 53 because he did for the last two years as well, and has only gained further experience since, yet there were plenty of people who were very verbal and outspoken about how there was *no way* he would make it this time, and his time as a Patriot was done.
    The same people who have said a 1000 times, "you can get a guy just like him or better off the scrap heap whenever you want"... well I guess they should let BB know that.
    The same people who once he made the 53, replied with He's #53 or #52 at best, and he shouldn't get too comfortable as they'll be dropping him any time now...
    the same people who then said...he may have made the 53, but he'll never be on the 45 unless everyone else is injured and they have no other option. Granted, they are getting thinner at RB, but he is not there last option... and he's on the active 45...

I hope he can keep he numbers improving, and I especially hope he does that with his carries per game going up. The team needs a reliable, serviceable back for the season. Hopefully he can be the one.
  23. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Since almost every thread you started for years has been a joke, why change now? Why not just lie about what was said? Those who didn't like Maroney claimed that Maroney was a bust and unproductive, and others disputed it. That has been hashed over so many times no need to repeat it.

In the end, BB's decision to trade Maroney may have been the best for the team (though the IRing of Faulk shows that it may have been a tad premature), but that was never the "Maroney sucks" argument. It was always about who was the better running back, Maroney or Morris or BJGE.

The fact is that there were many here who thought Maroney was more talented and had better production than BJGE, and those facts are still true. Sadly, Maroney's inability to learn and utilize those talents resulted in his getting traded.

He is similar to Chad Jackson in that way (though of course Jackson was cut outright). Though Jackson was cut early on, and Aiken was retained, no one in his right mind would say that Aiken was more talented than Chad Jackson.

It is sad for both of them that such great talent go to waste. Their signing bonuses had been paid and were on rookie minimum contracts and still couldn't stick with the team even though the players replacing them had less talent. How sad it that. We use the term "over-achiever" often as a negative when describing a player, but that is so much better than an under-achiever.

If only we could get Maroney's talent into BJGE's body, or Chad Jackson's talent into Bam Childress. Or the other way around. BJGE/Bam's work ethic and coachability into Maroney/Jackson.

But such is life. I still say Maroney had way more talent than BJGE, and Chad Jackson way more than Sam Aiken. If only they could have gotten their heads on straight, what a difference they would have made the last few years.

FOr the rest, no one that I can see is hiding, whatever that even means, and as far as being ridiculed, well, for centuries jokers have been ridiculing their betters, who take no offense. I kind of look forward to your next thread.

24. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

See, you are confusing things. You seem to think that if BB kept one player and traded another, it means the player traded was not as talented at the player kept. By that rationale, Mike Wright is a better DE than Richard Seymour, and Pierre Woods a better OLB than Mike Vrabel.

There are a number of reasons Maroney was traded and BJGE kept on the team. Talent was not one.

I like BJGE. I love the way he pounds it out. I hope he gets better and better and becomes a stable back. But your argument that he is better because Maroney got traded just doesn't hold water.

Don't be so proud of yourself. It wasn't a lack of guts that caused no one to respond to your earlier thread. It was a lack of respect.

25. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Fixed it for ya :cool:
  26. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I guess I'll post it here. What's the status on Fred Taylor? Is he going to be out?

Whether Taylor can play or not, I would start BJGE.
  27. WelshPat

WelshPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The talent level of Aiken and Jackson is a lot closer than you make it sound like. Chad Jacksons #1 problem was that when the pads went on, the speed hit 0. He had no speed, no quickness, and his hands were pretty average. Thats a lack of talent. Sure, he was childish, but he couldn't play.

Maroney lost something since his 06 season. His burst has gone. I will say more of his problems are upstairs, i think he loses confidence quickly and isn't the most intelligent of runners. But, staying healthy is a talent, and he couldn't do it.
  28. ahmed

ahmed Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I never thought he would be good enough to be a starter or play a significant number of downs. However, he showed some good things over the last couple games and pleasantly surprised me. I hope he will continue to improve.
  29. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He continues to be out which I think means he will be a gametime decision.
  30. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

If it's iffy, I hope they let him rest it through the bye week. We've got horses enough to run Monday night.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.